Is It Worth Going To Therapy When Meds Have Helped So Much?

capulin

I have recently received a referral for therapy. I was struggling with depression and anxiety problems for a long time, and had reached a point where I was desperately seeking any kind of help.

Two months ago I was prescribed SSRI medication. The first few weeks were rocky but now I can say for sure that they are helping a lot. For the first time in a long while, I can honestly say I feel fine. I am certainly no longer depressed and my anxiety is greatly lowered. My negative thought patterns do not remain but change when my mood changes. I still have some problems with social anxiety but they are much less severe and I feel able to work on them on my own.

I thought therapy was a good idea because episodes of depression and anxiety have been reoccuring for me over the years, and perhaps I could better learn skills to deal with or prevent them. But considering that I am well now, and would be taking up appointments that could be being used for those who are not (there are long waiting lists) I'd feel guilty about going and perhaps I shouldn't.

Do you think it would be reasonable to still go, or should I not make the appointment? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Agreed. The right combination of medication and therapy can be very powerful. My ultimate goal is to get off the medication in 1 - 2 years and continue therapy as needed.  

If you can find a therapist who works well with you, it could be very helpful.

Peace and love

If therapy is being offered, I would definitely take the chance with both hands! Like you, I've suffered with long waiting lists, and am due to start my next therapy tomorrow. At the time I got referred I was dealing with a lot of stress at work and the loss of my grandmother. Now, although I'm still dealing with a lot of things I'm feeling a lot better, and thought about cancelling.

But then I remembered last year, when I had therapy and was coping okay with my medication. Therapy isn't always about helping you right this minute; it's also about arming you with a defence if you do get bad again. I'm not saying that will happen, but if it does, at least you'll be prepared! While I was having a tough time at the beginning of the year, I don't know how much worse I would have been if I didn't have the coping strategies from my therapy.

Long post short: Take the therapy. Don't feel guilty about taking the opportunity, because even if it doesn't help right now, it might do in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, no. I saw two therapists over a period of six months and I wish I could go back in time to retrieve the money I spent and use it for something else. I still don't understand the point, I'm as confused about the purpose of therapy now as I was my first session. Medications have been most helpful for me. Making it to the appointments actually caused me more grief and anxiety if anything. I'll never do therapy again. There's my two cents. 

I personally think it is worth going to therapy even if meds have helped you.  The therapy will help you deal with the root causes of your depression/anxiety and should mean that relapses will be less likely in the future.

The meds are the important. Therapy wasn't helpful when I went ten years ago. That said, at some point, I needed therapy, but by that time the meds took control of my judgement, and I thought I knew it all. 

NOT.

Now I'm back to meds. 

There now a med-management doctor, which seems better than pure talk.