What Do You Watch To Make You Happy?

Escapisim is a valid way of letting off some of the pressure and intense feelings that depression and stress bring about. Watching a film, T.V show, Documentry or anything is a simple but effective way of doing this.

So I am really interested in hearing about what others watch to make themselves happy.

Okay I am going to admit it, yes I am a pro-wrestling fan and when I feel REALLY low I love to watch old WCW PPv's, there I'm out :P

At the moment I am watching a comedy called Operation Good Guys, it's a fake fly on the wall documentry comdey about Britian most inept Police force. It's ace and never fails to cheer me up.

So what about you?

Oh boy, I have a very long list. I usually binge watch Netflix when I'm feeling extremely depressed, so I have a plethora of shows and movies put back. I love science films and things about space and the universe. There are a lot of documentaries by PBS that are great. I also like crime documentaries and shows like forensic files. When it comes to shows, I've watched Breaking Bad (favorite show ever), Supernatural, Orange is the New Black, etc when I've gone through an especially rough patch. They did an amazing job at cheering me up and distracting me. I tend to gravitate towards dramas and comedies more than anything else. I'm currently on season 3 of Game of Thrones and I'm loving it. Reading is another big thing for me, though I haven't started a new series in a while, just a few independent books here and there. I'm also into gaming, so that's another great distraction. I beat The Last of Us for the thousandth time last week, lol.

I've never heard of that show, but I'm going to look into it. It's hard to find good comedies. Most seem to fall flat for me.

~Rose

When I`m really super depressed or anxious I try not to watch things that are too sad or upsetting. I tend to watch things like....

~Modern Family

~The Big Bang Theory

~Roseanne

~Sex And The City

~Absolutely Fabulous

Sometimes you do need brain candy and things that aren`t going to weigh you down so much.Other times I do like to watch a good drama.A good cry fest is also sometimes good.

TV:

30 Rock

Fawlty Towers

The Office (UK & US)

Arrested Development (but not the 4th season which seems weird)

Star Trek (TOS)

Frazier

Movie:

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

Mel Brooks movies like Young Frankenstein & Blazing Saddles

Destry Rides Again

Monty Python and The Holy Grail

Monty Python's The Life of Brian

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Interestingly enough, I read something about a connection between depression and binge watching.

Films and TV have been my friends throughout my life. I've been known to cry when I'm watching something from my youth because it evokes in me feelings of lost innocence. When depressed I tend to gravitate towards depressing material in an effort to actually feel something - even if it's sadness. I actually seem to shy away from content which might cheer me up. It's odd. Depressing materials can actually make me feel better sometimes. 

I don't understand it, myself.

Minions!  :coophaha:

Otherwise, anything that commands my complete attention and takes my mind of the bad things for a while.  There's a reality show here in Australia about home renovation which I love to watch and I also watch a lot of youtube gaming vids.

It's pretty much always random YouTube videos for me. I find that daft sounds and terrible music can leave me laughing so hard I can barely breathe - like this Jurassic Park clip, or this bike horn rendition of Mambo No. 5.

Video game glitches and corruptions also have a similar effect on me, it seems. "I am Sniper Wolf." *spins around madly in mid-air*

I'll watch my kids for a bit.  It's amazing how incredible they are despite me dealing with this depression and the fact their mother is gone.  

I actually prefer to watch non-professional sports with the exception of US Women's Soccer.   

For movies I like:

• Limitless and Jumper.  The main characters have a way of escaping their old lives for the better.  
  • Humor with a dose of reality...like Good Morning Vietnam
  • Plain stupid humor...which pretty much includes any movie that Will Ferrel is in. Talladega Nights, Anchorman, Blades of Glory, Step Brothers.

I don't watch regular TV.  

• 2 weeks later...

Escapisim is a valid way of letting off some of the pressure and intense feelings that depression and stress bring about. Watching a film, T.V show, Documentry or anything is a simple but effective way of doing this.

So I am really interested in hearing about what others watch to make themselves happy.

Okay I am going to admit it, yes I am a pro-wrestling fan and when I feel REALLY low I love to watch old WCW PPv's, there I'm out :P

At the moment I am watching a comedy called Operation Good Guys, it's a fake fly on the wall documentry comdey about Britian most inept Police force. It's ace and never fails to cheer me up.

So what about you?

Been watching alot of New Japan Pro Wrestling recently, its nice to have something exciting to watch every now and again. I also watch a lot of foreign films, recent;y I have been watching a lot of Asian action flicks like Hard Boiled and Ong Bak to give a few examples.

I liked watching love themed Adam Sandler movies.

Though i must admit with the recent publicity of his western film production which makes lewd connotations of American Indians names saddens me for I really liked the romantic feel good persona his films present....