Is It Good Or Bad For A Depressed Person To Visit A Depression Forum?

desperados

:D i know sometimes we suffer too much but in depression forums there are endless waves of negativity and thick air of hopelessness. 

But it's strange here the more you see depressed people around the more you get to feel calmer inside,and realize you are not alone no matter how much you suffer.

I also find it helpful.  One can only hope that a depression forum would be helpful.  I think there will always be a pressing need for people who are suffering to be able to communicate with other people who are suffering.  Certainly nothing in life is absolutely ideal.  There can be a kind of equality in one sufferer communicating with another that is not there in relationships where power is unequal:  teacher/student, doctor/patient.  I tend to think there really is no substitute for depression forums, whatever their shortcomings and limitations.  I certainly try mightily to not say things that harm.  I am certainly not an ideal person though and I certainly regret anything I have ever written on this Forum that hurt anyone.  Often people will not say when they are hurt by something said.  Perhaps this is more true of those of us carrying the burden of depression.  Part of our depression is keep things inside.  

Edited by Epictetus

Does it maybe depend on how you filter what you read?

Yes, there's a ton of negativity.  We've all got stories and issues and much of it remains unresolved and much of it is long-lasting, which leads to hopelessness and despair.

But there are some successes, too.  Some people who have been cured and want to come back to help.

And, yes, there's the shared experiences.  Few of us are truly alone in our feelings.  There are certainly those with physical issues to whom I can't relate, but there are over 90,000 members here.  Most of us can find many people with similar stories, issues, and attitudes.

I think you can take away from DF whatever you want to, whether that is new friendship, shared concerns, the potential for success or remission or a "cure"... or further despair?

Is It Good Or Bad For A Depressed Person To Visit A Depression Forum?

I thought about this before also,

I been depressed for a long time, and have not find these forums all that enticing.  

They are good for getting information, or venting, or reading about other people's experience, but I don't think relying on it as your only support is all that healthy or beneficial.

I don't think most therapists in general promote online forums as support, because they want you to get out of your room and be around people.   

One could argue that with the digital age, and the popularity of social networking apps, people are more connected digitally, but actually more isolated physically.

I wonder if there is an article on this topic written by a psychiastrist who studied this.

Anyways, I need to stop typing this and get out my room.  ;-)

Edited by HenryGray

It really depends how I'm feeling at the time. I avoid the things that I think will make me feel worse and if I'm already feeling that, I go into those threads and they can be really helpful. Sometimes I go into them anyways because I can be self-destructive at times... It's kind of the same thing where when I'm feeling decent I'll purposely go through everything contributing to my depression in my head until I feel horrible again. I don't know why I do it, I can't stop myself. Not right now anyways, I hope to work on stopping those behaviors.

I suppose it depends on how you use the site. I try to monitor myself as much as my depression will let me.

But it's strange here the more you see depressed people around the more you get to feel calmer inside,and realize you are not alone no matter how much you suffer.

Same feeling here.

I feel more comfortable and get some kidda of strength when I know I am not alone.

Actually I had a conversation about this the other day, it's a really good question.

Like others have stated, it really depends on a lot of reasons.

It's really how you are filtering things.

If you are coming here because you feel alone and no one "gets" you or knows what you are going through.

This place is great, almost everyone knows what you are going through, for the most part.

There is definitely comfort in that.

If you are coming here for advice, you just need to be REALLY careful, unless that advice is clearly 110% positive.

Keep in mind the majority of people here are just as messed up, if not more so than you.  ;)

Some people are giving advice to help you,  some are just venting because they are depressed, they may not realize how you and everyone else is interpreting what you are meaning to say.

I do feel though, the most effective way to learn and fight depression, is to learn it from someone who has been through it themselves and won a lot of battles. If you are looking on the internet, then this is probably the best place to look.

Edited by SimplyExisiting

For myself, I find when I am down I come in and sometimes tell about what I am feeling but it seems more often that I encourage others who are struggling. It makes me feel better in a little way that maybe I can help someone else even though I am having a hard time myself.

If I am really struggling I avoid the possible triggers and stick to the safer posts until I am stronger. I hate the fact that others are having the same issues that I have, but, I really appreciate knowing there are people who are like me. Hurt and damaged but not so broken we can't still reach out for help and to help others.

It makes me proud to be a small part of this place and I don't feel good about myself too often.

Probably it depends.
But for me - I come here when I need to tell something that I just can't tell anybody else because I don't really have anybody to talk to.

Get it off my chest. I feel a bit better when talking about my illness to people who know what's it about - be it either people with depression, who had depression or psychiatrists, psychologists.

Edited by APFSDS

I come here more often when I feel down. I don't have anyone to talk to so seeing others with the same issues and the responses to them helps me a lot.

I'm not a very socially adept person and never know how to respond to people in a way that will help them. So I just come in and read, maybe make a blog post, and maybe post in a "water cooler" thread.

I often wondered that myself & there were times where I've had to take a few days away because the negativity got so overwhelming.  Then gradually I learned what things can trigger me & I learned to avoid those topics.  For the most part this forum has been extremely helpful for me & the wonderful people I've met on here have helped pull me out of some of my darkest times.  They are the ones who have made such a difference in my life.  Complete strangers from every corner of the globe that I feel I have an unexplained kinship with.  One which I am extremely thankful for.  We share in something not a lot of people understand & in a strange way it has brought us all closer together...a comfort.  So I'd say yes, if you know how to navigate a forum, it could be extremely helpful.  It just may take a little trial & error to learn. 

I find it helpful. I know it takes me out of the self imposed isolation which happens a lot. Lets me know I'm not alone fighting this evil problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the more you see depressed people around the more you get to feel calmer inside,and realize you are not alone no matter how much you suffer.

Yuep ... I'll jump on that wagon.

I'm really good at fixing problems, just not my own, so reading someone's post here asking for advice, or help, or whatever, that's like a chew toy to a puppy for me.  Since I'm good at fixing problems, I feel I should do it as often as possible.  Since I'm not good at fixing my own, I need to find someone else :) Just a little bit twisted, but in an altruistic way.