It's Too Late For Me To Recover

Jules19

I just have too many painful experiences to ever lead a normal happy life.  My problems started at a young age with physical & mental abuse from family members.  Then my father died suddenly from a heart attack.  I have a history of self harm & drug use.  Money problems have torn the family apart.  At least before I had some support but now I've lost it all.  Been disowned by several family members.  I'm so tired of fighting.  I don't see how someone like me could ever recover.

Hi Jules,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so down on yourself - it is a truly miserable feeling to have no hope for a happy and healthy future.  This is why it's great that you post here on DF, so that you can see and hear from all the people who have had horrendous pasts riddled with abuse, severe illness, family deaths, combat and war, overdose and addictions, witnessing violence and deaths, bankruptcy, hospitalizations, and everything inbetween.  These tragedies, big or small, are a huge part of the presentations of many major illnesses.  You will never forget these things, but you can certainly move forward and lead a great life that is much wiser than it would have otherwise been.

You have an advantage with your experiences and, with adequate treatment, they can be used in a positive way.  There will come a day when they do not have a stronghold on you, and that is just as much the goal of treatment as not being depressed - because the two often feed one another.  People with these stories get better, and you will too.  Stay strong and keep us posted!  Things truly will get better.

Jules,

Thank you for reaching out here on DF.  :hugs:  Many here on DF have similar stories of abuse, addiction, hospitilization, chronic illness, and more. I'm sure many of them could identify with you.  I hope you feel less alone here.  You can and will recover, at your own pace and in your own way.  :hugs:  Keep posting and looking around, I hope you find the inspiration you need. 

I just have too many painful experiences to ever lead a normal happy life.  My problems started at a young age with physical & mental abuse from family members.  Then my father died suddenly from a heart attack.  I have a history of self harm & drug use.  Money problems have torn the family apart.  At least before I had some support but now I've lost it all.  Been disowned by several family members.  I'm so tired of fighting.  I don't see how someone like me could ever recover.

I know.   :rose:

I'm so sorry for your painful past.

But it's never too late. You can feel better.

We're all products of our past but we don't have to be defined by it. If you're a product of a painful past, you can look back on it to understand where you came from. But if you focus too much on it, you might not get where you want to go. If you can look forward to a brighter future for yourself you can try to take steps to make that happen.

I'm sorry. I don't know if you're in therapy. If not, it might help you if you can find someone in your area.

It's far from hopeless, though. And lots of us understand where you're coming from. Just be sure that you don't give up on yourself.

You're worth any effort needed to make yourself feel better.

We're here for you, too.

Peace and love

You have an advantage with your experiences and, with adequate treatment, they can be used in a positive way.  There will come a day when they do not have a stronghold on you, and that is just as much the goal of treatment as not being depressed - because the two often feed one another.  People with these stories get better, and you will too.  Stay strong and keep us posted!  Things truly will get better.

Thank you for putting my situation in perspective like this.  I'm still struggling & know the pain will always be there, but at least I could put it towards some kind of use someday.

Edited by Jules19

I'm sorry. I don't know if you're in therapy. If not, it might help you if you can find someone in your area.

No I'm not in therapy right now because I don't have transportation & I can't afford it anyways. I have just enough money for the basics every month & I'm grateful to have that.  Thank you for your kind words.

Edited by Jules19

Thank you for putting my situation in perspective like this.  I'm still struggling & know the pain will always be there, but at least I could put it towards some kind of use someday.

You're putting it to use now, by helping people here on DF.

Jules,

Remember, even if it's impossible to see sometimes, we're going to make it. We're going to get through this. I don't know you, and you don't know me, but we're stronger than we believe and we will get through this.

Yes we will.  Thank you for the encouragement! :)