Am I Hallucinating? Should I Be Worried?

So yeah.  I like writing.  It helps me get feelings out.  It's easier for me to write than it is to talk.  Usually I come here to write about how I'm feeling and get support and feed back, and it's great.  It's really helping me cope between therapy sessions.

But this post is a little different.  I really have a question and I'm hoping someone can shead some light on it for me.

I'd say for the past 3 to 4 weeks, I've been seeing things out the corner of my eye that aren't really there.  I've thought it was a bug, my cat or someone walking up to my car window.  When I turn my head toward it to get a better look, nothing is there.  Didn't think anything of it at first.  But it seems to be happening a lot.  So much so that when it starts to happen now, I beat myself up about it.  "Really, M?  You're doing it again?  Really?" I'll tell myself.

I've been having some other odd symptoms too.  I've been getting really bad headaches a lot.  They last for days and nothing seems to help them.  I thought it was my allergies.  Just kind of grinned and bared it telling myself everything will stop blooming eventually and I'll feel better.

I've been sweating...a lot.  I usually am the kind of person that hardly sweats at all.  But I've had days were I've had sweat dripping off of me.  I've never had that happen before.  I feel so hot sometimes.  Usually, I'm kind of cold natured.  Keep telling myself it's because I just had 2 kids and it's messed with my anatomy.

I've been running fevers out of no where.  I'll not feel so good and get a chill.  I check my temperature and I'll be between 99.0 and 100.0.  Then it goes away as quickly as it comes.

So, my questions are:

1.  Am I hallucinating?  I thought hallucinating was more obvious than what I've been experiencing.  But I've done a bit of online research and I'm just not sure.

2.  If I am, should I be worried about it?

3.  Should I bring any of this up with my therapist or my doctor?

Or am I just being anxious and paranoid and I need to chill out about it and stop being such a stupid hypocondriac.  Maybe I need to focus on other things instead of trying to webmd myself to death.

Hi Thundercatgummy,

I don't recall if you are currently in treatment for a diagnosis, on medication, etc.  These things, including hormones, could cause all of those symptoms.  But at least because of your somatic symptoms, you should discuss all of them with your doctor.  

I would not say that the little blips in your peripheral vision are indicative of hallucinations, it's more like hypervigilance.  It could also be due to your eyes, which could cause all sorts of problems, including headaches.  If you were experiencing hallucinations, they would be sensations that no one else can experience, like clear voices, flickering lights, seeing a person in the room, and would seem very real to you.  In the brain, hallucinations are processed like real-life experiences.  In that case, they are certainly a cause for concern and treatment.  

It could be anxiety, what you call "paranoia," but it should still be discussed with your doctor because he/she knows your situation and history.  Until then, rest easy knowing that there are other explanations for what you're experiencing.  Be sure to keep us posted!

So yeah.  I like writing.  It helps me get feelings out.  It's easier for me to write than it is to talk.  Usually I come here to write about how I'm feeling and get support and feed back, and it's great.  It's really helping me cope between therapy sessions.

But this post is a little different.  I really have a question and I'm hoping someone can shead some light on it for me.

I'd say for the past 3 to 4 weeks, I've been seeing things out the corner of my eye that aren't really there.  I've thought it was a bug, my cat or someone walking up to my car window.  When I turn my head toward it to get a better look, nothing is there.  Didn't think anything of it at first.  But it seems to be happening a lot.  So much so that when it starts to happen now, I beat myself up about it.  "Really, M?  You're doing it again?  Really?" I'll tell myself.

I've been having some other odd symptoms too.  I've been getting really bad headaches a lot.  They last for days and nothing seems to help them.  I thought it was my allergies.  Just kind of grinned and bared it telling myself everything will stop blooming eventually and I'll feel better.

I've been sweating...a lot.  I usually am the kind of person that hardly sweats at all.  But I've had days were I've had sweat dripping off of me.  I've never had that happen before.  I feel so hot sometimes.  Usually, I'm kind of cold natured.  Keep telling myself it's because I just had 2 kids and it's messed with my anatomy.

I've been running fevers out of no where.  I'll not feel so good and get a chill.  I check my temperature and I'll be between 99.0 and 100.0.  Then it goes away as quickly as it comes.

So, my questions are:

1.  Am I hallucinating?  I thought hallucinating was more obvious than what I've been experiencing.  But I've done a bit of online research and I'm just not sure.

2.  If I am, should I be worried about it?

3.  Should I bring any of this up with my therapist or my doctor?

Or am I just being anxious and paranoid and I need to chill out about it and stop being such a stupid hypocondriac.  Maybe I need to focus on other things instead of trying to webmd myself to death.

Oh my lord, webmd, I used to go there and then had to make myself stop it because I would scare myself silly, lol.

I see things a lot too, I ask people around me what was that and they look at me like I have 3 noses, headaches, feel hot and cold for no reason really. I don't think you are being paranoid or a hypochondriac but I would absolutely talk to your doctor about it all.

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound totally unrelated but do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house?

Although there are many things that can cause or contribute to what you're going through, it's never a bad idea to check for a carbon monoxide leak.

Low levels of carbon monoxide cause hallucinations like the ones you are describing. It's not unusual for someone to think they are losing their mind, or living in a haunted house, only to find out there was a carbon monoxide leak. The hallucinations aren't even the worst part, carbon monoxide is extremely deadly.

Although this likely isn't the cause, please get a detector if you don't already have one.

I've experienced the same thing in the past, at work I would change my undershirt and shirt twice a day. For me it stopped when I quit taking my depression meds. I'm not telling you to stop your meds I'm just telling you what my results were.

I have PTSD and hallucinations is part of the lot. But if that's not it then I would look closely at your meds. I've also hallucinated on account of medications. An improper dose, weaning off, or changing a dosage, or just enduring it as a known side effect you are one of the "lucky" few percent to get is a likely culprit. This happened to me when using different antidepressants, or sleeping pills especially. I do not take anti-psychotics, but I've heard they can also do this if being used off label. 

I actually have the type of symptoms you experience, the visual hallucinations seen peripherally that disappear when you turn your head to look at them. Mine are more formed and sometimes run across my peripheral field of vision (anyone interested, hallucinations do not have to take the form of real-life experience, like clowns or dogs or whatever) -my neurologist has said they are part of my partial seizure disorder.  I also have other, more formed audio hallucinations, which I think are part of a thing called "musicophilia."  But I digress.

What my psychiatrist told me, was that if I was hallucinating, I should be concerned if I was hearing voices that were negative or angry or telling me to do bad things.  Or, if I was bothered by them in any way.  In your case, because your symptoms are new, and because you are having other symptoms with them, I would definitely see your doctor.  There are lots of things that could be causing them, including some of the things others already mentioned.

Take care,

rhyl

Hi! 

If it is like an almost bug or something you never actually see but feel is moving when you look that way then it may well just be a normal manifestation of extreme anxiety. Like your mind is so hyper alert it is one step ahead of reality. And if it is that then apparently it absolutely isnt hullucinations and is just a normal symptom of this. Not nice though in my experience. 

• 3 weeks later...

It would be a good idea to discuss everything with your doctor.  maybe there is a simple explanation that can put your mind at ease.

Something to consider - I sometimes see things @ the periphery when I am very stressed & tired.  I went for a consult yesterday about insomnia & some other things & the dr suggested it is REM activity happening outside of sleep!  He  said it is fairly common in people with insomnia.