Hi all. Joined the forum tonight after I filled my first prescription for Zoloft. I'm realizing that I'm actually scared. Not sure of what. But hope having somewhere to ask questions without worrying that someone thinks I'm crazy will help.

Ki

Hi Kiyote and welcome to DF!  You will find plenty of support and advice here!

It is understandable to be scared or nervous with starting medication - many of us have experienced this same feeling.  But your doctor has determined that it is worth a try, and your health and happiness are of utmost importance.  Do you have any specific concerns?

I've never been on regular medication except birth control 20 years ago. I'm scared of what regular medication will do, and after reading some of the posts, I'm also nervous about what it's going to take to get to feeling better. I'm screwing with my body's biochemistry, and I know that comes with consequences.

I suppose this is where I should put in that I'm 44, female, widowed 5 years ago, probably been depressed since then but was too busy trying to deal with the grief. I went to grief counseling shortly after my husband died, in a group that was about 8 weeks long. I went to individual grief counseling for about six months in the year following, then in spring 2014 I went to another counselor in the hopes that I could get feeling better. But here I am another year later, and my baseline level of "day to day happiness and giveadamn" has been on the slide for probably the last eight months if not longer.

Anyway. Talk hasn't helped, so I talked to my doctor today and he prescribed Zoloft.

I'm scared of what it will do, how I will feel, and who I may end up being, because I don't really remember. This has been "normal" for do long, but I'm finally tired enough of "normal" that I'm doing something I really don't want to so it doesn't keep getting worsen

It is normal to be nervous, as I mentioned.  The fear often gets worse when people get onto Google and read all the horror stories - people who suffer side effects are more likely to get online and complain than people who have success with a drug.

As far as antidepressant effects, it's not like a happy pill, per say.  Its effects don't really make you "feel" anything, it just becomes an absence of anxiety and depression.  Now, this takes some time with psychiatric medications.  By two weeks, effects should be evident, but many start noticing changes sooner.  There may be some activation side effects when you first start taking the medication, which is your body's reaction to a new agent.  These vary by type and severity across different people, but may include anxiety, headache, nausea, drowsiness, etc., the same list you see on most antidepressants.  As far as who you will end up being, you will be nobody but yourself without the depression, anxiety.  But as I said, the effects are so subtle and not like most people expect, that it's just a matter of slowly shedding those negative symptoms.

I'm glad to hear that you're tired of this pseudo-normalcy and willing to try medication.  I wish you the very best of luck, and hope that you keep us posted!

Hello! I am new here too. I cannot imagine how difficult the last 5 years have been for you but I can share your feelings of wanting to be happy. I was on Zoloft for about a year and it really worked great for me. I stopped as it was causing weight gain for me but it did help so much with my anxiety and constant worries. Good luck to you. I look forward to seeing how your feeling after trying the meds for a little while.

Today is Day 5 on 25mg of Zoloft, and while I know there's no way I'm anywhere near a therapeutic dose, I have noticed some of the other activation side effects, so the medication is at least doing SOMETHING. I'm working on staying positive and trying to kick myself out of some ruts that I've been in (but not had the "give-a-d***" to try to break out of).

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update since it's been a month now. I'm at 50mg and am feeling better. The vivid dreams are the biggest side effect I'm noticing, because they can sometimes be intense. But overall a definite improvement in my life.

Considering how worried/scared I was, I wanted to give an update in case it's helpful to anyone else who us just starting Zoloft and is nervous about it.