Sign in to follow this  
PessimOptimist

Any Experience With Nortriptyline (Pamelor)?

Doc started me on this.  It's a Tricyclic antidepressant.  

It's supposed to have a number of benefits in addition to working on depression.  

Appreciate any feedback from anyone who has taken it.  

Hi there,

I have not personally taken this medication myself, but I've heard from numerous people who have found much-needed success on it.  It is an older class of medication, but the medication itself has better tolerated side effects than some of the others in its class.  It often proves helpful even when other antidepressants have failed, particularly with endogenous depression.

I wish you the very best of luck!  I'm sure you'll receive more responses from people with personal experiences.

My very first antidepressant, started around 1996 or so. Since it was my first, I didn't really know what to expect. I'd hoped for happiness, or at least a lack of sadness. High doses of tricyclics can be dangerous, so it doesn't take long to max out on safe dosages if you don't get results after gradual increments. Although they didn't work for me, nothing really has across almost 20 years of this and that, interrupted by a decade-long detour after a misdiagnosis. Currently taking Fetzima, but if I lose my job, I may ask about trying nortriptyline again. Perhaps with the benefit of experience-bred expectations, I might find that it's more beneficial than anything I've taken since.

I sincerely hope you find success, either with this drug or something else.

I took it a few years back for about a year. It works on norepinephrine more than serotonin.  I had to take mine in the morning though as it gave me energy and didn't make me sleepy at all. Cymbalta was like that for me as well. Probably due to the norepinephrine action. Its funny how some people take these meds at night and others cant because it interferes with their sleep. The biggest side effects I remember where that jitteriness(not really uncomfortable but like I drank too much coffee sometimes) and also night sweats. Used to get really bad night sweats. That's something that also happened when I was on Cymbalta.

I'm having the same with desipramine.  Did the jitteriness ever go away?  Mines is intolerable at the moment at only 25mg/day, 5 days in. 

It didn't for me. But I didn't really find it intolerable. I didn't need the morning coffee anymore though. Hang in there, it might get better for you.

Interesting how all meds seem to work differently for different people.  I'm taking Nortryptiline with Clonazepam and I'm sleeping well.  I recently got a FitBit with Heart Rate monitor and it also monitor sleep.  According to it I'm sleeping 8 hours with a few instances of restlessness and only waking 1 time during that period.  How it knows all that I don't know.  But I know the alarm is waking me up every morning now.  

Just stopped taking Nortriptyline, it didn't help with my depression whatsoever. However, I'm not sure how much of my increased depression was caused by coming off another medication... I stopped taking Abilify Before taking N because it was causing blurred vision and trouble concentrating while driving.

Been on Nortryptiline for 4 weeks now and finished tapering off Prozac one week ago.  I will optimistically say I am feeling better.  May be the new med, may be a result of all the sleep I now get taking this and Clonazepam at night.  I also like that I have gone down from 4 or 5 pills to only 2 now.  

Just hoping this med, along with therapy and lifestyle changes will continue to make a difference that I can maintain.