Can't Get Out Of Bed

moocat

i am having one of those days when I just can't get out of bed. I have this hazy feeling in my head and I don't know what I should be doing today. I haven't been out of the house in two days now and I really really should go to work, even though I don't really know what I should be working in at work and my contract is ending in less than two months.

I feel like such a failure compared to all my friends. I read a story in the papers today about the work of one of the researchers in my previous lab. Somehow that just triggered feelings of my own failures, I know I should be happy for him but I just wished that I could have made the discovery myself. Instead, all my work so far had been so meaningless.

I used to have such drive and motivation but now I just feel so apathetic. It's like I've learnt over the years that working hard just doesn't get you any where, and I have given up on life.

i am having one of those days when I just can't get out of bed. I have this hazy feeling in my head and I don't know what I should be doing today. I haven't been out of the house in two days now and I really really should go to work, even though I don't really know what I should be working in at work and my contract is ending in less than two months.

I feel like such a failure compared to all my friends. I read a story in the papers today about the work of one of the researchers in my previous lab. Somehow that just triggered feelings of my own failures, I know I should be happy for him but I just wished that I could have made the discovery myself. Instead, all my work so far had been so meaningless.

I used to have such drive and motivation but now I just feel so apathetic. It's like I've learnt over the years that working hard just doesn't get you any where, and I have given up on life.

I'm sorry you're feeling that way.  I can relate - successful friends, apathy, hard work amounting to nothing.  All I can do is remind myself that I'm sick right now.  My mind has me convinced that I'll never be happy and there's no point in going on, but I know logically and from others' experience that it's just not the case.  So I just keep waking up and moving forward.  

I have been staring at this for about 15 minutes and can't think of anything else to say so I guess I can relate to feeling hazy too  :nod:

I do have a question.  How long have you felt like you did today? 

I cannot get out of bed either and I have been in the house for four days.   I just don't have the motivation or drive to do anything.

I hear you.  I've left the house maybe 5 times in the past 2 weeks.  I was reminded yesterday that often times, action comes before motivation.  Sometimes the motivation to run an extra two miles comes after running the first mile.  Tomorrow I am going to set a very small simple goal of going for a walk or to the store.  I'm sure it won't make me feel any worse.  I still dread doing it though.  

It's ok to feel like this for a while, you are sick. This one time I didn't go to school for a month, all I did was stay in bed all day. As for your friends, don't worry yourself too much on their life. Everyone has their own pace, sure you feel like a failure at this moment...how unmotivated you feel does not define your whole life. I'm sick too so at this moment I'm not in school and just working. Everyone around me seems to be progressing but me....but I need to realize that some people move at a slower pace weather it be because they are sick or any other reason. It is OK to move at your own pace. Perfection doesn't happen over night..but one day your going to have to face your troubles face first...pick yourself back up from the fall. No one said depression was an easy battle, so for now do what you have to do. If you don't feel ready, lie down and recover so you can pick yourself back up again.

Hi moocat,

I have to say, one reason I hate Facebook is because of all the shiny, happy people on it in my former profession. Some even post when there are job openings and I read them and just cringe within myself that I cannot do them.

And yeah, I can't when I'm in this frame of mind.

If I didn't have to drive my son to work, I would not leave my house much.

I have a lot of sympathy for you, moocat. I know exactly how this feels. Are you seeing a therapist and /or a psychiatrist? The combination of medication and talk therapy has really helped me. Also, to get oneself moving at least in one direction, I like Henry's aim to take a short walk to the store. By taking a small action: showering, making yourself a nice sandwich for lunch, taking a short walk can help with the feelings of apathy.

Wishing you, and all of us here, a good day!

i struggle with this also.

there is probably little i can offer in the way of advice of what would work for you to help get going.

i hope you find something to inspire or help you.

this is where i am right now (as one medicated for depression/anxiety though the meds don't work so good)

usually i just start getting up and don't ask the question of whether to get out of bed or not.

this may sound odd...this does not make anything easier i just have decided that is what i will do because i struggle to come up with the reasons, so i have tried to eliminate the questioning process :/  i just don't trust my thoughts/feelings in that moment.

for me 'life' these days is a lot like the marathons i have run in the past...at some point i cannot figure out why i thought this was a good idea (usually around mile 17 - 19), but i just keep going telling myself there was a good reason before the race started...so i just try to finish the best i can, even if i don't win.

practically every morning i just roll out and go.

wishing the best for you.