Major Depressive Disorder

Hi, my name is Shawn, male 45. I hv been diagnosed of having major depressive disorder by my psychiatrist. I m now taking lithium, cymbalta, Lorazepam, methylphenidate and thyroxine

It's already almost 2 months that I m on medical leave n still not sure when can I go back to work. I m really panic now becoz I don't feel that I m getting any better n concern on when I can go back to work.

Anyway I m glad to join this forum n meeting all of u

Hi Shawn.

Nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum.

I know how it feels to have to leave work (well studying in my case) for an extended period due to depression. It feels like a failure and you really push yourself to get back on the horse as fast as possible. However, what you really need to do right now is allow yourself the much needed time to heal from your disease. Serious depression like you have takes time to cure. A few months is nothing, it takes much longer for your brain to heal and become stable. You're literally in the process of growing new neural connections and this process is not accomplished over night. So however frustrating it is to be unable to work at the moment, please remember that it is not a failure to need time off when you're sick. Remember that it's just like any other disease that leaves people debilitated for a period. You need to allow yourself time to rest and recover, rest is a vital part of treating depression. It's not laziness or failure, it's taking care of yourself so you can return to health eventually.

Don't worry about not feeling any better after just two months. It's still very early days. Unfortunately treating major depression is not accomplished over night. But it IS very treatable, and with a psychiatrist on your case you WILL get better. Until then you just focus on taking good care of yourself :-)

All the best and well wishes 

Dear Ladyday,

Thank you for your encouraging notes. I m trying my best in my daily activities which includes half hour of morning walk n swimming in the evening. Besides that I m listening to audiobooks as well as reading.

I feel bad for taking off...just like running away from responsibilities. As a matter of fact, losing two of my staffs trigger my depression as I can't handle 3 persons job in my work place.

Everyday I feel good after I taken the methylphenidate in the morning. But the effect last for only 2 hours. From then on my mood is very low until sleeping time at 9 pm.

You're welcome :-)

It's really great that you manage to get some exercise and listening to books. Both are really good things for helping with depression and I know how difficult it is to motivate oneself to do even nice things like that when depressed, so well done! :-)

When it comes to your job, think of it this way: The best you can possibly do for your workplace right now is getting yourself better. It is, in fact, impossible to manage a job to a decent standard when struggling with major depression. No matter how qualified you are and how hard you try. So in the long run, the company/workplace gets more qualitiy productivity "out of you" by you taking time to get well now and returning when you're back to health, than they'd do if you attempt to work despite your disease and fail, making yourself more sick in the process. Work is important, but your health is the most important thing, both for you personally and your place of work. They want and need you healthy too and your responsibility to them is taking care of your health first and foremost.

It'll all be okay! :-)

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling so much. It's so hard to keep fighting with this disease and it feels like there's no possible way you can ever be happy. But I promise you the doctors are really good at treating this disease, it's a long, frustrating process to pinpoint the exact treatment that works for you, but they very rarely fail in curing it. They try out the least invasive treatments (/the ones with fewest side effects) that might work for your case first, and then work their way gradually up to more potent treatments until they hit the right treatment for you. It takes time, but it works. The important thing is that you keep telling your doctor exactly how you're doing, so (s)he can judge what can be done to help you further. As someone who's been through the whole drill up to and including the "heavy artillery" of treatment options, I can promise you that it's all well, comfortable and un-dramatic, and you'll be surrounded by very caring, dedicated professionals who will get you through all this! Nothing to worry about, they'll get you right as rain and it won't take too long :-)

I hope you feel better soon. You're handling this very well and deserve a pat on the shoulder for having such a good attitude! You've got a forum full of amazing, caring and insightful people here who is always ready to offer support and listen to you.

:welcomeani:

Hi Shawn,

I'm sorry for all  your struggles. I'm glad you found this community and hope you will feel some comfort in knowing you're not alone. I hope you'll browse the different sections and post as much or as little as you're comfortable with. There are a lot of great caring members here.

(((Hugs)))

Today is Sunday...and I hv yet to see any ray of hope concerning my illness. Tomorrow, every one else is going back to work...while yet another week for me to hide at home.

I m feeling very low mood....wondering when will the medicine will take effect. I m scare....really scare....that I can't be back to normal just as prior to the depression. Help me please...help me!!!

Hi Shawn,

I'm sorry you're struggling so much. When was the last time you visited with your doctor? Are you seeing a therapist as well?

I understand the need to want to isolate but try to force yourself out of the house at least a couple times a week or once a day, if you can.

All of this is really scary, I get that but try to be patient with yourself. My therapist once told me, "I didn't get this way overnight...it's going to take some time to heal."

Do you have a friend/family member you can confide in?

You're not alone, Shawn. Keep writing your feelings out.

:hugs:

Dear Freckled Face,

I visited my doctor last Saturday n visited my therapist last Thursday.

I go for morning walk n swim/gym workout daily.

I live alone thus no one to confide with.

Thanks for your kind reply