Sign in to follow this  
freckledface

Assignment #1: Dear Me

I'm sitting here taking a break from doing the dishes, because I need breaks because climbing Mt. Everest (aka doing the dishes) is really hard work. So anyway, a light bulb clicked on, a smack across the head, an inner voice perhaps shouting,  "You are SUCH a hypocrite!!!! You can show sympathy, compassion and kindness to others.... give yourself some of that back."

So this topic is going to be all about me. (or you)...but it has to be good stuff.

I'm not unrealistic to know that there will be days when I don't come near this thread because I'm not feeling it but today, I want to document that I'm capable of showing myself even a teeny bit of some of the good stuff that I give so freely to others. I don't want to be a hypocrite any more.

I would love for you to join me, there's just 1 rule though. Good stuff only, even if it's a teeny tiny bit of good stuff.  :flowers:

Dear Me:

I'm proud of you for having this epiphany today. It means somewhere you have a sliver of hope and that means progress. Now go finish the dishes!

Woohoo! That's awesome freckled! I like this idea, though I know some days, I won't be here.

Dear Me:

I am proud of you for getting in touch with the law school again and seeing if there are additional steps you need to take. I know you didn't want to bother with it, but felt that push to do it. I'm also proud that you felt a bit of excitement about legal writing and research.

- Christina

Freckledface,

Great idea and totally true.   

I'm proud of myself for preparing (thoroughly too) for a challenging interview yesterday and going and doing it.  And getting up and coming in today, even though every fiber of me wanted to call out sick.  In the toughest time of my life (so far), I keep on going.  I think that's what I'm proudest of.

And I did the dishes last night too, and share your antipathy for this, undoubtedly, one of life's most odious chores.  ;)

Keep posting.

-g

Woohoo! That's awesome freckled! I like this idea, though I know some days, I won't be here.

Dear Me:

I am proud of you for getting in touch with the law school again and seeing if there are additional steps you need to take. I know you didn't want to bother with it, but felt that push to do it. I'm also proud that you felt a bit of excitement about legal writing and research.

- Christina

Good  luck Neurotic_lady89,

Getting into law school (if I'm understanding you correctly) can be chore.  law school is a lot of work of course, but is fun especially if you like to be analytical.

best of luck.

Dear Me:

- Christina

Good  luck Neurotic_lady89,

Getting into law school (if I'm understanding you correctly) can be chore.  law school is a lot of work of course, but is fun especially if you like to be analytical.

best of luck.

Thank you! I am on medical leave so still a current student, all I need to do is alert the appropriate people (which I did) and take care of financial aid. I am with you both on dishes...

- Christina

I'm proud of myself for getting out a well-written thank you letter to the Execs I interviewed with on Tuesday (this may not sound like much but I put a lot of thought into the content and was amazingly anxious about what to say, since nowadays my confidence is so low, I over think things so much, and  everything feels dull, dumb and impostor-ish these days). So....to reiterate, against these challenges, good job me!

Dear Me: I am proud of you being able to face another day of tedium at work and not calling out sick(even though you should). Go out and kick some ass today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Me, I am proud of you for allowing yourself to take a small break from healthy eating to enjoy spicy take-out junk. I am also proud of you for researching your condition, realizing you very likely have the hypermobile type of EDS due to fitting so many of the symptoms, and now being well prepared (albeit exhausted) to advocate for yourself.

Christina

Dear Me: I'm proud of you for not crying the entire session at therapy and for being able to voice your opinion about where you wanted the session to go in the last 30 minutes without hesitating.

Edited by freckledface

Dear Me: I'm proud of you for not crying the entire session at therapy and for being able to voice your opinion about where you wanted the session to go in the last 30 minutes without hesitating.

That is great, and I know that feeling so very well.

Dear Me,

I am proud of you for going without soda since Monday, and without fast-food since Sunday. It is now Thursday, so a few days of success is a fantastic start. Now, you must cut out chocolate. Do it.

Dear Me:

I'm proud of you!! You made it through therapy, you made it through the graduation ceremony (excruciatingly painful but you made it) AND you even made the phone call to your previous therapist to tell her you had put a lot of thought into it and felt it was best for YOU to stay with the new therapist even though the voicemail probably sounded really awkward. YOU DID IT!!

Dear Me:

I just wanted to take a second to acknowledge the fact that even though you might not have had the best attitude about it, you've stayed present and more active in the past two days than the entire week.

Dear Me,

This pain you are going through is for a purpose. You are growing as a person and shedding off some characteristics that have been weighing you down. Your scars will make you beautiful some day because they will show that you made it through - gentler, wiser, more compassionate, less naïve. Your wife does not define you. Your kids do not define you. Your job does not define you. Your sickness DEFINITELY does not define you. You are a person who has value simply because you are a person. You deserve to be heard, to be understood, to be cared for, to be loved. And you are expected to do the same for others, and have the ability to do so. You can and will do this. It will get easier over time though there may be some more rough spots coming up. But I am here for you. I have your back. Use the tools you have learned. Lean on the support systems you have in place. Live your life. LIVE YOUR LIFE. Enjoy every moment. There is something sweet to be found in every interaction, every task, every second of the day. Eat it up - revel in it. And if you can't find anything sweet in it, add something to it to make it sweet. You got this bro. By the way, you're an attractive dude. If I wasn't me, I would ask you out on a date.

I am proud of myself for waiting to act until I was sure it was right, good job!

(sorry for not following the format; tried the "dear me" thing and it didn't feel right)

Edited by feelinglostagain

What a lovely thread.

Dear Me,

Thank you for taking the time to go to the store and buy an avocado and coming home and fixing yourself a relatively healthy sandwich and guacamole instead of the pizza and ice cream you were leaning to because you didn't want to go anywhere.  Thank you, too, for starting to remember what it's like to look forward to seeing family tomorrow. 

Thank you for being able to put some thought into buying your Mom a present that she will find useful, a gift card for her favorite restaurant, which it sure felt nice to remember, instead of the pan of flowers you would have sent in order to have fulfilled an obligation.  Thank you, too, for acknowledging that even in the worst of times you remained thoughtful and sent gifts.  I know that was hard for you to do.  I know the phone felt like it weighed a ton.  You did it though.  Take some credit for having done so.  You deserve it.

Thank you for the aviator sunglasses you bought today.  You thought of buying a more conservative and classier pair so as to be pleasing to other people.  But, no, you wanted aviator and you got aviator.  You go girl. 

Also, thank you for getting the ingredients to make your step-dad his "Poppy (my nickname for him), salad you've been promising him for nearly every occasion for the past couple of years.  He will be so happy, which will help you with your self-esteem.   .

Edited by renee2

Dear me,

Thank you for pushing yourself a bit and going to the meditation group.  The people were very nice and friendly and you were able to do all the meditiations.  It's OK to cry if they mention really kind and touching things.  It just proves you're human with a heart.