Upper Back Pain, I Cant Take It Anymore, Help!

Last appt with dr she upped my effexor to 75 mg.......i told her about frequent pains in my neck and upper back that also started having spasms. at the time they came and went 3 diff times. She gave me advice of ibprophen, hot packs and relaxing.....well its been a few weeks and now the pain is constant, i have little range of motion in my neck and it is painful down my spine to the middleof my back. Its getting so bad its waking me up at night. Ibprophen doenst touch it. Ive had hydrocodone from previous dental procedure and although it makes me sick i tried that...still didnt touch it. A friend gave me a 5mg of oxycodone (percocet without tylonal) this helped tremendously and didnt make me sick or high.....i dont want to ask for narcotics and i dont really want to rely on something this extreme. I dont want to seem like im asking for drugs but im miserable. How do i get thru to my dr that i need something else. Do i need muscle relaxers? Pain killers? diff anxiety meds? I have no idea this is so new to me.

Last appt with dr she upped my effexor to 75 mg.......i told her about frequent pains in my neck and upper back that also started having spasms. at the time they came and went 3 diff times. She gave me advice of ibprophen, hot packs and relaxing.....well its been a few weeks and now the pain is constant, i have little range of motion in my neck and it is painful down my spine to the middleof my back. Its getting so bad its waking me up at night. Ibprophen doenst touch it. Ive had hydrocodone from previous dental procedure and although it makes me sick i tried that...still didnt touch it. A friend gave me a 5mg of oxycodone (percocet without tylonal) this helped tremendously and didnt make me sick or high.....i dont want to ask for narcotics and i dont really want to rely on something this extreme. I dont want to seem like im asking for drugs but im miserable. How do i get thru to my dr that i need something else. Do i need muscle relaxers? Pain killers? diff anxiety meds? I have no idea this is so new to me.

Do you think these symptoms are related to Effexor or completely separate? My heart really goes out to you. I am in chronic pain too (my spine, ribs, and many joints), origin unknown, and am also afraid to ask any of my doctors for a narcotic. I know many are scared of addiction/dependency in patients, which is really unfortunate for those of us in pain. Oxycodone from the ER helped me too - tremendously.

- Christina

You have my sympathy, I have chronic pain in my back and neck and it hurts to the point of me just writhing on the ground in agony. Nothing helps it and it can flare in a second.

Another chronic pain person here. I would consider looking at some anti inflammatories Taresa if this isnt usual for you. Sometimes it can break the cycle and although not cure at least set it down under control a bit, I hope it eases soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know how you feel, when I was punching in to my depression, the / alerted-ness resulted in my back, specifically the upper back and shoulder area becoming so tense I swear you could bounce a quarter off of them! I was so psychologically paranoid, but I found myself checking at intersections 6,7,8 times before I would go. even intersections where I had the right away, I would pause, and go through them very slowly. I drive for work, and eventually my Passenger started complaining. I have always had stellar customer satisfaction, and this was a startling turn of events, of my company and myself.

I started taking Gabapentin both for its anti anxiety and its anti alcohol effects, and I found that within 24 hours, the stress that I had born in my shoulders and neck for so many weeks positively washed away!

please, tried different meds, and keep trying them until you find something that works. talk about the stressors, I hope that works too.

All my best,

Calvin

• 4 weeks later...

First, I would strongly advise not taking any more oxy, even though your pain is severe. It's just not the kind of thing you want to ever rely on.

Muscle pain and spasms are a side-effect of Effexor. I would tell your doctor about it. Also, physical therapy can make a huge difference for you and some forms of insurance cover it or at least have good co-pay.

I used to get terrible neck and shoulder pain before I started working out. I can tell you what worked for me.

Before exercising, I do what's called an "upper trap stretch" followed by a levator stretch, and shoulder circles. I do three sets of 30 second holds. You can look up the stretches online. For exercise, I do scap retractions with resistance bands, a rowing machine, and lat pull-downs on another pulley machine at my gym. All of these can be done with resistance bands and dumbells too :). Just pay very close attention to your form, watch yourself in a mirror until you feel that you got it down.

I know medication seems like an easier route but building up the muscles in my back has completely gotten rid of my muscle pain and I feel better than ever.

Google triggerpoint therapy, I had the same problems in my lower back and neck for years, went away with a simple massage....the key is to find and repeatedly massage knots of muscle that form in certain spots in your muscles that are in the same places for everyone. It's becoming more popular as a type of therapy because it has hard science behind it, not like wish washy acupuncture or chiropracty. Really, check it out, it hurts like hell to do but it changed my entire life. To do it on your back though you'll need a theracane to reach around or someone who practices that type of massage. Have been pain free for five months now after 8 years of doctor-baffling back hell.

• 2 months later...

To build on Jakecallahan, if you cant afford much, then buy a foam roller on Amazon $20-$25, they are used in about every Physical Therapy clinic and will help your back immensely.  I have one and use it everyday.  that plus 15mg Meloxicam once a day it it keeps the monsters off me.

Edited by Just Another Army Guy