Diagnosis Changed From Schizophrenia To Schizoaffective

While I was in the army, I was diagnosed in 2007 with major depressive disorder with psychotic features, even though my episodes started in my late teens and would occasionally hear voices even when not depressed.  They said that I wouldn't have been able to hold a job if I had schizophrenia.  Then around 2012 or so the Veterans Administration changed my diagnosis to schizophrenia with depression, which I thought was more accurate.  Last week I went into a psych ward for my depression and the resident psychiatrist there said that I was too highly functioning to be schizophrenic and so she changed my diagnosis to schizoaffective.

Now I'm confused about the difference between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder.  From my google search, schizoaffective is schizophrenia with depression.  I don't understand why that psychiatrist would say I was too highly functioning to be schizophrenic, and the army pdoc would say that i couldn't have held a job if I had schizophrenia.  Does this make sense to anyone?

While I was in the army, I was diagnosed in 2007 with major depressive disorder with psychotic features, even though my episodes started in my late teens and would occasionally hear voices even when not depressed.  They said that I wouldn't have been able to hold a job if I had schizophrenia.  Then around 2012 or so the Veterans Administration changed my diagnosis to schizophrenia with depression, which I thought was more accurate.  Last week I went into a psych ward for my depression and the resident psychiatrist there said that I was too highly functioning to be schizophrenic and so she changed my diagnosis to schizoaffective.

Now I'm confused about the difference between schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder.  From my google search, schizoaffective is schizophrenia with depression.  I don't understand why that psychiatrist would say I was too highly functioning to be schizophrenic, and the army pdoc would say that i couldn't have held a job if I had schizophrenia.  Does this make sense to anyone?

Is there a way to get in touch with the resident psychiatrist for more answers? I am not a medical expert, but it seems like there are varying degrees of functionality with ALL mental illness - i.e. someone with Schizoaffective Disorder may be plagued by just as many, if not more, symptoms than someone with Schizophrenia (or vice versa). It seems like a person could function well enough to feed themselves, shower, maybe do a few chores, but still not feel well enough to work. I don't know all of your personal circumstances and again, am no professional. I hope you find the answers you need. You deserve them, as a patient!

Hugs,

Christina