I Need Some Advice

indigoblue

So I've been struggling with depression for most of my life, mostly un medicated, aside from self medication. I've tried several anti depressants and all of them made me feel worse rather than better, granted never long term. Maybe I gave up too soon. But right now I'm experiencing a wave of depression on a whole other level. It feels like my consciousness is very constricted and I have lost all spark for life and all the hobbies I once enjoyed, I really have no mental energy for anything. I've experienced similar episodes before but this one is extremely bad and I'm willing to try meds again. Almost anything would be better than feeling like this. it's rather inexplicable really how these episodes start and why they subside. It's almost as if the stars align in a certain way for a period of time and i'm under the influence of some strange confluence. I don't really mean this literally but it might as well because of the mysterious nature of these episodes. Anyways I need to feel better....like soon. So can I get a little feedback from people who have been in the same position and which medication has worked for you? Thanks

Edited by indigoblue

Welcome back to the forums indigoblue!   :welcomeani:  I can tell you've been a member of this site for a LONGGG time but probably never posted much.

I'm sorry your feeling so bad man!

To get straight to the point The National Institute for Health and Clinical excellence ranks the top 5 antidepressants for efficacy and cost effectiveness as mirtazapine, escitalopram, venlafaxine, sertraline, and citalopram!

Have a talk with your doctor and see if he/she can get you started on anything. I wish you the best of luck!

So I've been struggling with depression for most of my life, mostly un medicated, aside from self medication. I've tried several anti depressants and all of them made me feel worse rather than better, granted never long term. Maybe I gave up too soon. But right now I'm experiencing a wave of depression on a whole other level. It feels like my consciousness is very constricted and I have lost all spark for life and all the hobbies I once enjoyed, I really have no mental energy for anything. I've experienced similar episodes before but this one is extremely bad and I'm willing to try meds again. Almost anything would be better than feeling like this. it's rather inexplicable really how these episodes start and why they subside. It's almost as if the stars align in a certain way for a period of time and i'm under the influence of some strange confluence. I don't really mean this literally but it might as well because of the mysterious nature of these episodes. Anyways I need to feel better....like soon. So can I get a little feedback from people who have been in the same position and which medication has worked for you? Thanks

Hey there indigoblue  :flowers: I am sorry you're struggling so much with the depression beast right now. I am, too. I have not had much luck with antidepressants so far, so I can't be of much help on that front. I don't mean to deter you from trying - AD's help many, many, people and I am still convinced the "right" med or combo is out there for me, too. It is tough, because some medications work great for some people and do nothing for others. Those same "others" might try something that works for them, but wouldn't work for the first group of hypothetical people. Just because meds didn't work for you before, doesn't mean that trying something new won't help now.

I can relate a lot to how you described your depression. For a while now I've lost that spark for life and feel little interest in things I used to enjoy. I always loved writing fiction, but have great difficulty writing fiction during depression. I think one of the most frustrating things about this illness is knowing that you are depressed, knowing that you need to get better, but just not being able to as quickly as you'd like.

I hope you find your peace and relief soon.

Warm Wishes,

Christina

Thanks guys, it's nice to have a forum like this where one doesn't have to feel like they are the only one struggling with this disease. Being surrounded by bright happy people everyday who can't relate to what your going through can be a lonely and isolating experience. I don't post here much but maybe I should make more of an effort to do so, I need to try to connect with people in the same boat as me. I've got to fight this thing or it will defeat me utterly, but as we all know, it is a very strong adversary.

you just have to try and see which one will work. I was on paxil for awhile and it did nothing for me (but it was a slow process, cause the doc would up my dose and up my dose and then finally took me off - it was probably a good 6 month waste of time), then i was on something else (i forget which one) for awhile with the same process as before and again nothing, then i was on Prozac (the generic version) for a very long time (upping the dose and upping the dose), it worked slightly, it took the edge off. I too came off my meds and then when I ended up in the hospital they put me back on Prozac (prob the real kind at the hospital) and abilify. but then my insurance wouldn't cover them so back on generic Prozac and switched from abilify to wellbutrin. it seemed to help, not totally but makes you functional.

I would just suggest going to your doc and trying each med one by one til one works, they know what they doing it, there are different dosages and multitude of pills to try, it will be a process and prob a long one, but you just have to stick to it and try not get frustrated with slow results (I got frustrated, I wanted instant results and got discouraged with slow process)

good luck

Edited by allalone6

There is always a period of adjustment when going on AD meds. You will feel like you won't to give up, but you have to wait a certain length of time to see if the meds are working for you. It might be difficult to tough it out, but the wait is worth it.