Sign in to follow this  
fruitbats52

Help...another Episode Coming On...wil Lithium Or Latuda Help Me?

i have had three major depressive episodes in my life. in tenth grade severe bullying triggered a major depressive episode. it involved: anxious depression, panic, not eating, black-outs, catatonic periods of time, severe anhedonia, aching pains, insomnia, crying spells, cutting, extreme self-hatred, irritability, co-dependency, seperation anxiety, frightful memories from childhood, insomnia.

the episode lasted an entire 8 months and wasn't straightened out until meds; i was and currently am on: paxil (30mg now) klonopin daily (1.5 mg), lamictal (100mg), and remeron (15mg at night for sleep and possibly helped my depression).

two days ago i faced a difficult rejection from someone i was head-over-heels for for three years. it is well-documented, i believe, or at least my own contention that depressive episodes are triggered by a stressful event i.e. a break-up, death. it's reccomended that to avoid a relapse, you avoid a stressor.

but yesterday i already had a major panic attack that involved: uncontrollable screaming, aching pain all over, extreme irritability, paranoia about being touched, tunnel vision, inability to move at some points, thrashing, and difficulty breathing. i went to the ER but inpatient has never been able to help my severe episodes. i'm not suicidal. just fearful for how i'll be able to function.

isn't a medication make-over necessary when a whole new episode comes about? because clearly my meds had helped for the time being, but didn't thwart another episode.

i knew a girl from inpatient who dealt with a break-up and had a sort of extreme depression and break-down including paranoia and some psychosis. she said she wasn't straightened out until she was on lithium.

i want to feel normal and functioning. i feel myself going crazy-ish, a lot more panic and paranoia this episode around. but i know lithium is usually for bipolar. 

i know latuda is another med i've never tried. but ive been on the anti-psychotics abilify, risperdal, and seroquel, and they all made me very depressed. however, i'm aware that latuda is used primarily for depressive episodes in bipolar.

i need help. i am flowing backwards.

Lithium is the first successful med developed to treat mental illness. It works well as an AD or as a bipolar regulating med. I was on it over 14 years. Latuda is advertised for Bipolar depression. Personally, I am think it would work for depression_why restrict it to only Bipolar? My pdoc won't prescribe me. latuda because I am too old and the med can have lethal effects in senior citizens. If you do want to try lithium, you will have to have blood draws everytime there is a dose change. The pdoc looks at the blood level for the therapeutic level. If the level is too high, your pdoc will have my stop it for a day and then restart at a lower dose. Because of all the blood tests, it may take more than 6 weeks before full effects will be realized. You must stay well hydrated while taking lithium.

Have you tried Depakote, it's what I use. Depakote is used to help with anxiety and insomnia. It's also easier to take than lithium.