Does Improving Sleep Quality Relieve Depression?

mocharain

I read this article: http://www.brainprotips.com/the-best-and-safest-sleep-drugs-somnogens-on-the-market-belsomra-suvorexant-and-ramelteon-rozerem/which gets into the neurobio of sleep and depression. I have chronic insomnia and am also depressed; is it possible if I fix the insomnia that depression could let up? 

Has anyone taken the sleep drug suvorexant? I can't tolerate benzos for sleep and don't know where to turn. 

In my experience, yes, definitely. If I haven't slept properly then it's almost certain that the depression will be much worse.

I've never taken Suvorexant. I was on Zopiclone a few years ago but I couldn't function - I was asleep pretty much all the time. 

I hope you can get it sorted out. Insomnia is such a horrible thing to go through.

Yes, but it may not be as simple as curing insomnia, but more about getting your sleep into a more normal pattern (eliminating REM disturbances or whatever) . Oversleeping for example can cause or is at least associated with depression. In fact setting the alarm to wake yourself early can boost happy neurotransmitters--it's just a hack though, not a long-term solution. There's also the chicken-and-egg question, but yeah, getting better sleep should help with the depression, and vice versa.

Never have taken suvorexant. Depending on your sensitivity benedryl and OTC stuff like that can help, but they make me more depressed, but they could work for you. Melatonin works for some people. There's a good one called Melodyn which is a combo. Passion flower and ashwaghanda too. Some people dismiss herbal remedies, but you might want to try them.

As far as RX non-benzos, there is Trazadone, Visteril, Amitryptiline, Serequil...there's also a new melatonin re-uptake inhibitor...oh, I did see that in the article you linked...the meds I mentioned  are pretty strong and like the article states, they can be anticholingeric and mess with other things. They left me so groggy I didn't see the point of taking them,  but maybe they will work for you. Hmm I really want to try Suvorexant. 

Last thing is exercise. Well really that should be the first thing. Weight-lifting works best for me. Bicycling was a big no-no--it got me so wired, but hopefully you can find one that helps. 

I've heard both arguments. One, that sleep deprivation is helpful with depression. Funny thing is, I notice that when I am tired from not sleeping well, I am less reactive to situations in my day, especially at work. I am not as efficient at my job, but much more calm. On the other hand, if you sleep better, you feel better and have more energy, and are more likely to be productive which in turn would make you feel better about yourself.

There are a lot of good articles online about how to get a good night's sleep. I would try some of the tips.

I've heard both arguments. One, that sleep deprivation is helpful with depression. Funny thing is, I notice that when I am tired from not sleeping well, I am less reactive to situations in my day, especially at work. I am not as efficient at my job, but much more calm. On the other hand, if you sleep better, you feel better and have more energy, and are more likely to be productive which in turn would make you feel better about yourself.

There are a lot of good articles online about how to get a good night's sleep. I would try some of the tips.

This is what I was wondering about! Sleep deprivation both causing depression on the one hand but also being a treatment for depression? I think it be that in the short-term sleep dep. relieves depression but chronic sleep deprivation is depressogenic. 

Becoming insomniac is a good indication for me that things are going wrong. That might be stress at a "normal" level or a sign of depression begin to show. I was a complete insomniac when I was a child during all my school age and I didn't like it at all. I listened to the radio (speech radio) and I knew it was late when a tune came on the radio called sailing by. It marked moving from the national station onto BBC world service. Anyone in the UK may know the tune, I find it very sad. That would have been 12.30 or maybe 1am.

Now my insomnia is early morning waking and if things are really bad not getting to sleep properly as well. I generally get to sleep because I take trazodone as otherwise the venlafaxine keeps we awake for about three days straight.

One important thing that I should do, but sometimes forget is to get up when I wake up in the morning. If I lie in bed thinking it can get me down as I begin to think about how pointless things are. I begin to doubt whether it matters to me or anyone else whether I get up at all.