Sign in to follow this  
mikeb6901

Any Klonopin Users Out There?

Hey Folks~

I just have a question for any Klonopin  users here.  The dose I am currently on is .5mg.  I feel like it's not even touching me anymore.  Am I on an extremely low dose or is that pretty average?  I'm a little nervous to take two pills (1mg) because I don't want to be a zombie.  But something needs to take the edge off.   I have a call into my dr. but who knows when he'll get back to me.  Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks~

Hi Mike,

I don't take klonopin but wanted to say I'm glad that you called the doctor's office. Be persistent, Call again, talk with a nurse.  I had to do that with my doctors office recently and it was extremely upsetting but you are worth getting answers.

I learned that I was building a tolerance for the Xanax I take so I tried to cut back, take half a pill rather than a whole one in the past 2 weeks but it's not helping any... i feel like I'm going to have to either go up a dose or switch to something else.

I know it's exhausting to have to advocate for youself but keep at it. I have faith in you.

(((Hugs)))

I take Klonopin, .5mg twice daily (or as needed) and it doesn't zombify me or anything, even if I take extra.  I've been on that dose for several years and it hasn't really gotten less effective for me, except in the sense that I don't get any side-effects anymore.  Not sure if it is average, but it works.  That said, communicating with your doctor about these things is always the best route, both so that he can advise you, and just so that he is up-to-date with how and what you're doing.  I'm bad at keeping in touch with my doctor, and I doubt I'm alone in that, so it's good that you are taking steps to do these important things.

But I think I might have missed the question.  Taking 1mg shouldn't pose a huge problem if you only do that in moderation; especially since you seem to have been getting a tolerance to the half-milligram.  Hope your doctor's appointment goes well once you get it!

I take 1mg of Klonopin three times a day and never get the zombie effect. I've been taking it for close to four years. Still works as it should every single time. But to answer your question, .5mg is not a low dose in my opinion. Unless you're only taking it once a day. Be blessed!!

Current Daily Meds:

3mg Klonopin

300mg Wellbutrin

10mg Lexapro

200mg Seroquel

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

I take 1mg of Klonopin three times a day and never get the zombie effect. I've been taking it for close to four years. Still works as it should every single time. But to answer your question, .5mg is not a low dose in my opinion. Unless you're only taking it once a day. Be blessed!!

Current Daily Meds:

3mg Klonopin

300mg Wellbutrin

10mg Lexapro

200mg Seroquel

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk 

I was prescribed Klonopin 1mg for breakthrough panic attacks or situations of extreme anxiety, so I have no experience of the med being used daily.  Sorry.  I've heard it has a long half-life compared to some other anxiolytics and that has been my experience too,  "Seems" in my case to take about 2 days at least to really wear off.

Edited by Epictetus

Thanks everyone.  I was able to get in contact with the doctor...finally!!!  I don't get it, they make you wait days until they get back to you!!  You're supposed to be helping my anxiety!  Not making it worse!!   Then he says to me "if it was that bad you should have just come in".  I've never wanted to slap someone so bad in my entire life.  But anyway. 

Every one of you were correct in one form or another.  .5mg is by no means a low dose from what he tells me but if I'm building a tolerance to it I should take 1mg & see how I feel.  Not just with the anxiety but also functionally.  It does seem to linger a bit longer after I stop taking it, which is good I suppose & I don't feel that panicking need to pop another one ASAP.  It seems to last me longer throughout the day too, compared to when I could feel the effects wearing off before.  Trial and error I guess.  Thank you again for all your help and advice! 

Thanks everyone.  I was able to get in contact with the doctor...finally!!!  I don't get it, they make you wait days until they get back to you!!  You're supposed to be helping my anxiety!  Not making it worse!!   Then he says to me "if it was that bad you should have just come in".  I've never wanted to slap someone so bad in my entire life.  But anyway. 

Every one of you were correct in one form or another.  .5mg is by no means a low dose from what he tells me but if I'm building a tolerance to it I should take 1mg & see how I feel.  Not just with the anxiety but also functionally.  It does seem to linger a bit longer after I stop taking it, which is good I suppose & I don't feel that panicking need to pop another one ASAP.  It seems to last me longer throughout the day too, compared to when I could feel the effects wearing off before.  Trial and error I guess.  Thank you again for all your help and advice! 

i agree! I'm glad you got it sorted though and hopefully the 1mg will help when you need it. :hugs:

Hey Folks~

I just have a question for any Klonopin  users here.  The dose I am currently on is .5mg.  I feel like it's not even touching me anymore.  Am I on an extremely low dose or is that pretty average?  I'm a little nervous to take two pills (1mg) because I don't want to be a zombie.  But something needs to take the edge off.   I have a call into my dr. but who knows when he'll get back to me.  Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks~

I am on Klonopin but the dose is way too low for me. I was switched from up 1mg of Xanax daily for years (in the form of .5 tablets to take) to .5 Klonopin ( .25 in the morning, .25 at night). New pdoc was afraid even this would be "too much" and I'd be heavily sedated - LOL! I have to take the whole tablet once a day and it barely helps. I'd say you probably need a higher dose, and not to be afraid to call your pdoc's office about it. I should do the same, but it will involve a lot of phone tag. 

- Christina

Resurrecting thread in hopes someone can give insight on how klonopin compared to other benzos.

I started taking 0.5 mg klonopin as needed and it gives me a heavily sedated feeling, like I can barely hold myself sitting upright. I had taken ativan as needed before too and it was nothing like this; ativan just took the edge off with no other effects. I had the impression doc preferred not to prescribe ativan so wondering your experiences with other benzos please?

Resurrecting thread in hopes someone can give insight on how klonopin compared to other benzos.

I started taking 0.5 mg klonopin as needed and it gives me a heavily sedated feeling, like I can barely hold myself sitting upright. I had taken ativan as needed before too and it was nothing like this; ativan just took the edge off with no other effects. I had the impression doc preferred not to prescribe ativan so wondering your experiences with other benzos please?

Dosages for benzos vary a bit.  Also the half-life for klonopin is significantly longer than ativan.  The idea with ativan is that it should be taken as needed for anxiety due to its fast onset and reasonable quick elimination time.  Klonopin, however, takes a lot longer to come on and maintains its anxiolytic effect for much longer.  Klonopin is more appropriate as a daily or twice daily medication taken for moderate periods of time.

It's sedating effects do wear off after a while and with luck its anxiolytic properties will still be effective.  A big chink in the armour of benzos is their addictive properties.  Dependence on benzos is very easy to achieve, sometimes occuring in as little as a month of daily use.  The tendency when the effectiveness of a previously effective dose fades is to take a larger dose.  This can very quickly become a slippery slope that can leave you taking a high dose of a benzo with little to no anxiolytic effect.  Doctors know this and that is why they are reluctant to prescribe them.  The best advice I can give you is to take the smallest dose that is effective.  If you feel that dose is no longer helpful, talk to your doctor about what you shuold do.  My pdoc is fairly lenient with my dosage and lets me detrmine it myself for the most part.  I've been taking klonopin for a little over a year and have never needed more than 1mg/day.  I'm currently stepping down to .5mg/day with the goal of completely eliminating it altogether. 

If you are sensitive to medication I would suggest being very careful with any dose changes.  I'm rather sensitive to medications(as I suspect a lot of anxiety sufferers are) and have a reasonably unpleasent time if I ever frget a pill or taper down too rapidly.  Don't be afraid to cut pills in halves or quarters.