Sign in to follow this  
austbobbie

On Lamotrigine And Zoloft, Miss Effexor - Anyone Else Miss Anti-Dep They Are Off?

went to a psychiatrist for first time in 25-ish years. to get another proper diagnosis. since I thought maybe I was ADD, but just the bipolar diagnosis like last time. so.... have been on Lamotrigine for 5 months, worked great for 2 months, then stopped, we added Zoloft. well here it is 2 months later and I miss the energy and great feeling I had on Effexor, which I took on and off for 15 yrs. prescribed by my internal medicine dr.

does anyone else miss their old anti-depressant? how do you deal? I did find out from psychiatrist bipolar people have a "fizzle out" on anti-depressants, they stop working as well. I did fine on Effexor, it did fizzle out in summer, a season I dread since where I live it is sooo hot and we get cabin fever. that is my hardest time of year.

i am considering asking psychiatrist if we can do Effexor/Lamotrigine combo instead.

i get so tired of being on this journey of always chasing..... "feeling better". the past 8 months have been a struggle, which is the longest I have had in years.

ash

I took Prozac prior to Zoloft. It stopped working after 14 years. I did miss the energized feeling when it was working. I did Zoloft and lamotigine for several years. My new pdoc took me off Zoloft and didn't replace it with another AD for a while to see how I did without an AD. He subsequently put me on elavil which helped depression an sleep. I love lamotrigine. I now take just seroquel with it and that combo works ready well.

Thank you for your response.  

I get impatient, wanting to feel better asap but tromp on since time is the only thing when waiting for meds to kick in

ash

Well i certainly don't miss Lamictal, I developed a rash on my face. However, I did miss my old mood stabilizer, Depakote, so much so that I cold turkey stopped tegretol and restarted Depakote. Depakote made my depression worse when the dose was increase but Tegretol makes me stumble around and bump into stuff like a drunken sailor. My bruised elbows will thank me.