How To Seek Treatment For Depression When You Are Unemployed

I've never sought help before and am wondering how does someone go about seeking treatment for depression when they have no income? Should I go to a free clinic and ask a doctor? Are there any other means that people have found effective? Would really appreciate any feedback given. Thanks in advance. Apologies if this topic belongs in another forum.

In Canada, I think if you get recommended to a therapist it's covered, but it must be by doctors orders (I would research this though for conformation if this applies to you, I'm unsure). However in other places of the world I don't know how they operate.

Sailing the same boat as you currently, and personally for me I've tried some free online counseling (PM me if you would like the links) as well as having this forum to keep me stable. Though I do recommend the doctor route, nothing wrong with getting professional advice. :)

In the US, call county mental health to start. They may give them a referral or suggest you apply for Medicaid. You can go to a free clinic but I hear they don't do much in the way of mental health. You can also call around to see if any mental health practioner will work on a sliding scale.

After going homeless I went to the free clinic, got a lot of info on social programs, both City and State that help you get back on your feet. Of course, it depends on where you live but there's always a place close by via bus ride. Help is out there.