my insurance runs out long before the year end so I was

thinking of trying a generic ad. My pdoc says she has not

had any success with generic prozac and only soso with

generic zoloft. Is there any AD out there that works in

generic (I dont care if it is an ssri or an older med). I

hate to mess with my meds when I am feeling good but

I am on a combo of meds and my insurance runs out

about mid-year. Has anyone had success with generic

celexa or one of the tricyclics? Thanks for any info.

starr

I am currently on brand name prozac which is working but

starr

I did a little research when my insurance company wanted to put me on a generic for my anti-seizure med. The active components are the same in both the name brand and generic. The fillers are different. Some docs think the the difference in filler has effect on the release of the drug and how well the level is maintained. I am currently taking a generic for epilepsy and it works fine. The blood level stays even and I have not had an increase in seizure activity. You just have to overcome the stigma of getting "second best", forget you are taking a generic.

My insurance has insisted on generic brands whenever possible. I was worried at first but, the generic brands seem to work just the same as the name brands! So far, so good!

Don't forget too there is different brands of generics as well sometimes I've read and heard stories where people switch the brand of generics it worked better. I had alot of luck with generics :however, I had some bad luck with some not many for ads no promblem so far.

I took the brand name Remeron for years and had no trouble when I switch to its generic equivalent. I have also taken both brand name Wellbutrin and its generic bupropion without noticing a difference. I was wary of making the switches at the time, but I experienced no difference between the brands and the generic. My PDP [Humana] covered the generics with no co-pay.

Hope your experience in switching goes smoothly.

They do say that Venaflaxine is a pretty successful drug. I am currently on three Venaflaxine's a day and so far, I have been alot better from when I was on Sertaline. It's gotten to the point now where I can do more things than I could do before.

I found no use though with Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertraline, etc.

I am on the generic version of Prozac (fluoxetine) and it works fine. I even asked my pdoc about it because I had heard/read some things about generic versions of drugs not working as well and he said that was total hogwash and that the only difference is the fillers, which doesn't impact the active ingredient (which you really need).

I am on the generic version of Prozac (fluoxetine) and it works fine. I even asked my pdoc about it because I had heard/read some things about generic versions of drugs not working as well and he said that was total hogwash and that the only difference is the fillers, which doesn't impact the active ingredient (which you really need).

Generic Zoloft didn't work well for me, my dr switched me back to name brand and I'd rather pay the higher price and know it's working.

starr

I`m on generic Celexa (Citalopram) and have been since April. I`m currently on 20mg of it and it seems to be working well for me. :hearts: I tried takingf it in the evening first but it didn`t work so well and cause bad insomnia so I tried taking it in the morning and it`s now working better. :bump:

^ I hope this helps. :shocked:

Edited by OceanSoulGirl

The active ingrediants of generic drugs are EXACTLY THE SAME as the branded drug.

Its just that for new drugs the develpper of the drug has the copyright for a number of years so no-one else can sell it.

After that time, anyone can sell it.

Here in the UK, doctors are told to ONLY prescribe by the generic name. What you get from the pharmacist seems to differ every time then. I've had effexor from it seems every country in europe !!!!!!

MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL !!!!!!

I'd hate to see anyone stressing needlessly because they think they're getting second rate drugs.....

Any percieved difference be it positive or negative is purely psychological....

Guest Noca

Only generic meds that I know of that dont work the same as the name brand is a certain type of Ritalin and Oxycontin. Besides those two, all generics work the same as the name brand.

i had to take generics for awhile when i was without insurance. my pdoc told me that the only difference is the filler in the drug. the active ingredients are the same, but what they fill it with could possibly be different.

i think all of our bodies work differently, so that could explain why some have success and some don't with the generics.

as for me, generic lamictal worked just fine.

The FDA considers a generic drug bioequivalent to the name brand name drug as long as there is no more than -/+20

% varience. That wasnt a typo. There can be a 20% difference to be good enough for the FDA.

Generic wellbutrin(cant remember which mfr) has had some well known issues for some people and its even made the news. Other than that, I havent really heard many other problems with other generic drugs.

Generic Prozac most definatly does not work.

starr

for me, i get horrible stomach cramps on generic wellbutrin. so far, as i said, the lamictal is fine. the lithium varies by pill. it may actually vary by when i take it or by how much food i've had, i don't know, but it has the possibility of giving me terrible cramps too. i have to be careful with those 2.

i've concerned about saving $50 to switch to generic adderall. it's now on the market, and i'm afraid that such a sensitive drug could adversely effect me if it isn't exactly like the brand name. i'm unsure as to if i want to try it or just stick with the brand name. because it is so sensitive, and there isn't room for error in the dose, i don't know what to do.

This is just my own example, so please don't let it cause you any alarm, but when I lost my job at the beginning of this year, I picked up my own health plan that would only cover generics.

I've been on them for about 90 days now, and my depression and anxiety are back full-force after an 8-year absence...very discouraging.

I've made an appointment with my doc to get back on the right stuff, now that I have a job and good coverage. It's tough because I am doubting everything about my life right now. I just keep telling myself that "my brain is broken" and I'll figure it all out once I get back on track.

Just for reference, I'm on generic Paxil, generic Effexor, generic Adderall, and name-brand Straterra.

It's funny, it had been so long, I was beginning to convince myself that when I suffered from it before, it was a fluke and that I was absolutely fine...but it KNOWS!

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can offer advice. About four months ago my doctor prescribed wellbutrin SR 150 mg for my depression. They sent me generic bupropion. I felt great. I was doing really well on it. When I went to get my refill through my mail order insurance company, they sent me budeprion. When I looked at the pill, it looked completely different and the name was different. I was concerned but then just let it go as the bottle said it was generic for wellbutrin. I've been on the budeprion for a month now and I feel as though I'm not taking anything! I'm extremely moody, no sex drive, depressed, tired, and having suicidal thoughts. I called my insurance and they told me it was the same thing. I told them it can't be otherwise I wouldn't be feeling this way. So far, I've been made to feel crazy. My boyfirend thinks I'm going crazy too and he has noticed a huge difference in me. He says my moods are all over the place. Anyway, I did some research on the internet and it seems like a few people are having the same issue. So my question is, has anyone on here experienced this? Can anyone offer any knowledge on who makes generic bupropion? I know Watson is one. Any others? I want to stop taking Teva budeprion right away, however, I cannot afford the name brand wellbutrin. I was told $300 some dollars for a 3 month supply!

Thanks

I'm usually *glad* when one of my meds goes generic because of the expense. I've never noticed any difference, and, in some cases of older drugs, I've never even been on the brand name. I've had different generics of the same drug, too, and the only difference for me has been the way they looked (sometimes I prefer a "prettier" pill :shocked: ). Your "main ingredients" will still be the same; the patent will just have expired, paving the way for cheaper versions of the drug. The generic market thrives because it works.

In the UK we only get generic brands, I've ever been on a brand name medicine and I have never had a problem. My genetic prozac works a gem.

No we don't.

Drugs for Epilepsy and Lithium, at the moment, if they are written as BRAND then they must be dispensed as such. It also depends on if a generic is available. Other meds I have had as brand are Cipralex, and Cymbalta, and Zyprexa and Augmentin.

Budeprion is the Wellbutrin generic with bad bioavailabily issues. and remember it can also be between different generics.