What's Your Dream Car?

Wow. I've had some pretty nice ones - anecdote coming up related to depression!

Umm... cost no option, always wanted, way cool dream car? One of two. 1970 Hemi Superbird, or a red Ferrari F40.

Think about this for a second, though, and you might change that dream car thing to a beige 1995 Toyota Camry.

I don't want to brag here - this isn't me doing that. But back in 2010, I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a 2010 Shelby GT500. Very nice car, dark-ish blue with white racing stripes, 540 horsepower. And it was a great car to sit in and start up, much less drive.

BUT PEOPLE WOULDN'T LEAVE ME ALONE! I wasn't at all prepared for the amount of interest and attention it would generate. And I think you can probably understand how that would impact a depressed person! Part of me loved it, but being socially awkward, I simply wasn't prepared to interact with people. People waving on the highway. People walking over to me at the gas station, the mall parking lot. People driving down my street and stopping in! And coworkers wanting to sit in it, to look under the hood, to take a ride in it. A coworker (Mustang fanatic) told me that it was his "dream car". Sorry, I'm too big a 5h1thead to own anyone's dream car!

Just a scene that I hadn't anticipated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be happy with a new Ford Fiesta or Ford Ka. I like small cars and since Mom's accident I trust them to be safe as houses. Car was a write-off, she climbed out without a scratch.

(Plus the sound system is pretty hot. I love blasting Metallica out on the road... although I don't drive much because I'm so nervous.)

Edited by Lady Slothbottom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow.  I've had some pretty nice ones - anecdote coming up related to depression!

Umm... cost no option, always wanted, way cool dream car?  One of two.  1970 Hemi Superbird, or a red Ferrari F40.

Think about this for a second, though, and you might change that dream car thing to a beige 1995 Toyota Camry.

I don't want to brag here - this isn't me doing that.  But back in 2010, I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a 2010 Shelby GT500.  Very nice car, dark-ish blue with white racing stripes, 540 horsepower.  And it was a great car to sit in and start up, much less drive.

BUT PEOPLE WOULDN'T LEAVE ME ALONE!  I wasn't at all prepared for the amount of interest and attention it would generate.  And I think you can probably understand how that would impact a depressed person!  Part of me loved it, but being socially awkward, I simply wasn't prepared to interact with people.  People waving on the highway.  People walking over to me at the gas station, the mall parking lot.  People driving down my street and stopping in!  And coworkers wanting to sit in it, to look under the hood, to take a ride in it.  A coworker (Mustang fanatic) told me that it was his "dream car".  Sorry, I'm too big a 5h1thead to own anyone's dream car!

Just a scene that I hadn't anticipated.

Ohhhh nice!!! I wouldn't have walked up to you or stopped in at your home but I certainly would have admired from afar. When my kids were little I taught them to look for mustangs when we were driving, and they would always say, "Check-Mustang Mommy!!" anytime we were near one. :smile: I miss those days.

Anyway, my dream car would be a Mustang, I used to dream of a 1994 yellow convertible but I'd take a new one now but not yellow though, I think silver and I'd need it to be a 6 speed with manual transmission. :biglaugh:

One guy, driving through the neighborhood looking for yard/landscaping work, stopped and asked my 90+ year old mother about the car!  I was getting her some Mexican heather at a nursery, and a rural-type guy w/ a large pickup and trailer laden with hay bales stopped me for twenty minutes... " can I see inside", "would you mind opening the hood", etc...

It WAS a spectacularly self-satisfying car to drive, though.

One guy, driving through the neighborhood looking for yard/landscaping work, stopped and asked my 90+ year old mother about the car!  I was getting her some Mexican heather at a nursery, and a rural-type guy w/ a large pickup and trailer laden with hay bales stopped me for twenty minutes... " can I see inside", "would you mind opening the hood", etc...

It WAS a spectacularly self-satisfying car to drive, though.

Seriously? That's so intrusive, I guess some people know no boundaries.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to have enjoy it! 

• 2 weeks later...

If I lived where road conditions would allow me to drive it, I'd like to have a muscle car from the 60s or 70s like a chevelle or a charger. Black dark blue or dark green, no red no yellow.

But alas I live in the land of ice roads, gravel, off road ing and winter. I just bought my first brand new vehicle a ford 2015 f150 truck I'm fairly smitten with it. I'd probably rather have a chev/gmc but ford makes more sense up here because there's only ford dealerships up here to get warranty work done so everyone up here drives a ford. Driving it is a dream 4x4, big heavy truck, great on fuel considering it's size, love it I feel safe on these roads with all the bison, moose, caribou, muskox.

I guess my dream car is an old mustang 5.0.  When I drove my brother's car I found that out.  He told me to never drive the car fast when I borrowed it but I couldn't stick to what he said.  Most of the time I look at my brother with the respect he should get.  He's very high in the military.  It's great that he made so much of his life but for the most part he thinks I'm pathetic.  I am proud of him and I love my brother.  I just don't want to be the joke black sheep brother.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cadillac Seville. Buick Regal. Lincoln Continental. Any of those would be amazing if they were mine. I also like the design of the 1990s Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I am not sure why. 

• 2 weeks later...