I usually count anything 3 times, 9 times, etc. However, I noticed that I make myself count to 2 or 6 or 7 and when I see that everything is fine, although I didn't count 3 or 9 times, it helps a lot.

yeah, I have to say, I DO count over and over again... like say, to the number eight... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8... and start over and go there over and over again... I don't know... like all my counting is just a calming mechanism... like rocking back and forth is... weird, eh?

this one is hard to explain. i just recently thought that maybe i have ocd. i have had panic attacks in the past and obviously have high anxiety. i just recently went into a depression. going through these boards has got me to thinking that maybe i have ocd. i feel as tho i am what they would call a "pure obsessioner". anyway, i have always done this counting thing where i visualize a compass type thing.... basically just a plus sign i guess... and i will start in the top and then go to the right, then the bottom, then the left, then the top again. the top will start as number 1, the right is number 2, the bottom is number 3, the left is number 4, then now the top is 2, the right 2, the bottom 3, the left 4, then the top 3, the right 2, the bottom 3, the left 4. so obviously i just picture the top going up one everytime and the other spots staying the same number. sometimes i do this with a cross pattern where i go from the top to the bottom to the left to the right then back to the top again and i start all over. but it is always 1234 2234 3234 4234 5234 6234.... so and so. anyone ever heard of this one before? or am i the only one with this specific compulsion?

I count in specific orders like that and often tap things in a specific order/ design and amount of times, lol so its kind of similar but I think everyones compulsions differ

my counting also involves odd numbers....when i (or anyone else for that matter) change to volume on the TV or radio or anything it HAS to stay on an odd number..... :hearts:

lol! I'm the opposite! it has to be even numbers cause I consider them more lucky/ safe I guess lol:S its an odd thing

fellow counter here.

tend to count more when i'm checking things but yeah i've been known to count things. like if someone does more than one letter on a word like wordddddd i'd count those Ds in fact i just did for the one i did cos i did it too fast in order for me to count myself yeah so there were 6 Ds it's worse when it's more than 3 or whatever or if its less recognizable letters. D*** THESE EYES

but yeah i've had various numbers i've liked to use. umm been 20 at one point can't remember the other numbers i used before, umm sometimes i'll just replace the number with the word safe :S -psycho much- but yeah it's currently 7, i like to think it's lucky i spose, but yeah i can make virtually anything i have to check into a 7 ;l and in my mind that means it's gonna be safe cos i used a lucky number.. :'l though i do the 7 routine a few times before i'm happy.

i'm the same with the tv volume. has to be to the nearest 5 ;l though family haven't seemed to notice i can cope if they don't put it on a 5 but yeah it doesn't feel right if it's not :S

nice to hear other experiences x

I have never posted to a forum before. The forums on this site are really interesting for me. I used to be a counter too. I would pick a number (hopefully a low one :hearts: ) and count my steps walking to school and the number of times i swallow any time of the day. And i would like the total steps to be multiple of that chosen number. This was very tiring for me. My brain was always working. I would get annoyed with myself but always have to do it. Every now and then i would realise how tired i was by doing this and make myself stop at that point (even mid count!) and concentrate on relaxing, focusing on breathing deeply and calmly. This was helpful and would stop my intense counting session for the moment. Eventually, and thankfully i grew out of this after end of my middle school (about 15 yo).

I also had a problem with nail biting. I have now swapped to lip biting. This is terrible because it looks bad and is annoying for me. The lips and teeth are so close that it is difficult to get yourself to stop. I do it constantly and without realising.

I just wanted to write to say to people on this forum that i understand. It makes me realise how many people are feeling the same way. Its very annoying and exhausting to have to do these things all the time.

Has anyone been a lip biter and stopped? I dont know how to stop this-it has me stumped. I tried to use hypnosis and i might stop for a day or so but i just start again. I have been biting my lips now for 13 years!

I did this really badly when i was a kid and in my early years of high school, I don't do it as bad now thank goodness. I count the letters of the words in peoples sentences when they speak and I cant stop until it reaches a certain finger on my hand. Its extremely distracting!

I always have to count things up to the number 4... or do things 4 times. There was a time when i would have to name everybody in my family in my head or i thought something would happen to them /= that would be so fustrating if i thought i forgot someone because then id have to go through it all again because i had them in a certain order.

When I was younger (and quite a bit more anxious) I used to count in threes. Especially three sets of three. Or three sets of three sets of three. Sometimes I would have to do little ritualistic movements to accompany the counting. It must have been quite a sight.

Nowadays I sometimes catch myself automatically counting things, like the number of times I am shaking the orange juice carton. Not particularly distressing, but odd to notice.

Oh my God, I never really thought this could be a problem, I do the exact same thing, I count in sets of three or two!

I do this thing where I am fascinated by years and time passed. Like, I'll see someone was born in 1939 and I'll think, "hey, that's the year that hitler invaded poland to start WWII." Or, I think of how old someone was when I was a certain age. I think about years and numbers in that way. I always have to figure out someone's age if I hear their birthday. I dunno, sounds crazy I guess. It might be a weird way of thinking about life and death and how much time we have.

I am also a counter when it comes to the number 12. I will count on my fingers (to myself) up to 12 and then back down. There is no real ryhme or reason to it. For some reason, I consider 12 to be my number. I just like it and I am not sure why.

I count everything!!! EVERYTHING!

like with food, I count the number of grams of something I eat (the volume of milk as well if its cereal), the number of calories in each meal and I only have four meals a day and they are flour hours apart, if I really need to eat, then I will only eat at a time that is a factor of five from the last time I ate, e.g. if I had breakfast at 8.00am, and I was really hungry at 12.23, I have to wait until 12.30, or it was 12.10 I

I do counting to. For some reason number 4 is my number. I used to be really bad when i was younger - i would count everything, as i got older it started to stop a little. Now its just when i go out i and lock my door i have to check the handle 4 times, if i dont do that i think that someone can get in, but if i check it 4 times i feel "safe". Gas taps on the cooker get checked 4 times as well each one has to be checked 4 times so that i know they are off. I had other "counting" things i done too .... like i told myself if i didnt count to a certain number in a certain time something would happen. Im also a skin picker.

I count stripes on the road and telephone poles when I take long drives or I'm feeling anxious. My biggest counting thing is generally license plates, but it can be any alpha numeric text. My magic number is 9. If i see a license plate, I will convert the letters to their numeric position in the alphabet and then take the numbers and add, subtract or multiply till it becomes a multiple of 9. it's not always such a maddening thing, the counting of stripes and poles is much more disturbing. Sometimes it's really hard to get myself to stop.

I don't count exactly, but I am fixated on prime numbers and the squares of prime numbers. Volume controls etc, must be on primes or I become agitated.

Hello Grits Girl,

I welcome you in the OCD forum, I'm sure that you'll find this particular room very interesting, since you will be able to relate to many many aspects of OCD including the symptoms, the causes, the treatment, etc... I am an OCD sufferer as well!

Please feel free to talk about your negative feelings, we do listen =)

r90

I'm strange with my counting and numbers. I count in 3's a lot. I avoid 1 like the plague and 13 as well, and I mainly feel happier with even numbers of things if i'm counting something, but if it's a ticket for something or a lotto number 7 or 9 is fine, but not like 17 or 19. Also 13 is a really bad number to me, but my nephew was born on the 13th and he's the best thing that's happened to me so my brain is really conflicted, but I put the fact he had quite a few medical problems as a baby down to the fact he was born on the 13th. I think a lot of my odds aversion is I worry one of them will be lonely with the others all paired up :unsure: :unsure:

Yes, I'm a counter. I used to count the windows in the car over and over as a child - or street lights or signs... Still do it sometimes. Sometimes in bed, I'll catch myself counting... usually it's 1-12 in different rhythms, over and over. I catch myself doing it and stop, then forget about it, and catch myself doing it again.

I also fidget a lot and pick my nails (flick them). I wonder if this is related...some kind of anxiety related OCD thing?

Thankfully i've pretty much gotten over this but my number used to be 4. Yep.....4. Its funny because i remember the exact day it started. I just got some sort of inner satisfaction from say..doing something 4 times. funny how that works.

Do lots of people count their breaths? Recently I've noticed that when there's literally nothing for me to count (when my eyes are closed haha) I start counting my breathes instead- which of course then have to be a multiple of four. Sheesh! Now I have to risk suffocation to accomidate my OCD! :tounge:

Edited by possibilities

I'm kinda relieved.. I did not know other people did this to. I thought it was just me.. I count to five over and over on my fingers. Especially when I start having disturbing thoughts, one to five over and over ... so no other thought can get in..