OH MY GOSH!  

I remember counting the ceiling tiles at night before I went to sleep.  I had to end with an even number.  I added the numbers on cars license plates.  The end number had to be even.

Just wanted to pop in and say I am getting even worse with the counting lately .. I do it all the time! I wake up in the middle of the night and find that I've been counting in my sleep :(. Prozac doesn't seem to do a thing for it.

I totally count all the time. I had no idea it was part of an obsessive compulsive disorder, but now reading these posts, it all makes more sense to me! :bump:

I count when I run on the treadmill at the gym mainly. I seriously need to get an ipod or something, as all this counting gets pretty boring! I ran for four miles yesterday and let me tell you, it gets reallllly boring to just count over and over. I generally only count up to 30 or so, and then I realize what I'm doing and start over. It's like some weird zone I get into and just start counting without really paying attention. Although when I was in a really good zone, I actually counted into the 40s before I realized it and started over. I don't know why I start over either - it's like it makes it easier or something...

I'm also one of those people that ever since I learned to type (um, like 20 years ago in high school!), I always end up typing words in my head if I read something short - like a saying or billboard. :hearts:

I count all the time, usually in sets of 4. But never to any number that can be divided by 3, 3 itself, 13 and 14. All these are bad numbers! 12 is ok though.

I count when i wash up

i count when i check and recheck the oven knobs

i count when i check and recheck the front door is shut properly before i go out

when i puff my pillow at night

when i flick the light switches and plug sockets

when i take boxes back in an out of the fridge/freezer

when i repeatedly touch things

when i read and reread the same sentance over and over again

and so on

all of which has to be done over and over again in sets of counting in 4s until it feels right. Sometiems my counts can go into the hundreds on a bad day.

I count...

when touching things idly

when writing

the letters in words/sentences to see if they are odd or even/divisible by 4 or 5

when I'm looking at a patterned thing

when in a car looking out the window (_everything_)

when I have a long verbal conversation (syllables said/what I'm about to say)

when re-filling things (mechanical pencils, drink containers, etc.)

when organizing documents on the computer (must have a certain number of documents per folder, etc.)

when asked to give a certain number of things (will count in exact sets of 5, no matter how much counting is done; if another person counts an addtional set and I realize it, I have to count 4 more times to make it 5)

P.S - sorry to perform a "thread necromancy," just felt like getting it out there!

Edited by RangerSRC

Telephootee wrote:

This may sound weird, but I do many things in even numbers and actually stress out when it doesn't work out that way. I rip off even amounts of toilet paper, eat an even amounts for food (such as 4 crackers or eating 2 granola bars), or play a game an even amount of times. It sounds so weird, but why would I stress about something like this? This goes back to junior high and many don't catch on, except for my mom and sister. Of course it's not that way for everything (such as that I'm not going to buy 2 cars), but how can I help myself with this problem?

Edited by Lizzy

i count everything, i always have, it doesnt overly bother me until i read about other people doing it and that it is probably the casue of my depression.

Im on 60mg of floxetine a day, i feel lost now cos when i was first diagnosed in march i was told i would get help to stop it, now ive been told becasue my depression has lifted and i can do things again (i still dnot work) that theres no point in waiting a few years for CBT and if i want it i should go private, how can i get some help, i dont want to end up back where i started once they've kept my medication up for a year

Please realise that depression and OCD are different conditions. Although medication is recommended for short-term use, many of us have to take ADs for life. Doctors may not be aware that although depression and stress can increase OCD a person can have one or the other!

I'm glad that the medication has helped you, it can be a bit of a roller coaster ride until we find a drug which suits. Explain to your doctor the ways that the differences of your depression and OCD affect you - make a list if necessary - and ask for CBT. If the doctor seems unwilling to persue this then go to another doctor. Taking a friend along to the appt so that they can put their point can be useful!

Are you in the UK?

Medication for life?! I was just put on lexapro and was hoping when obsessions/compulsions went away I might be able to go off (the medication hasn't kicked in yet). Oh well, I guess it's sort of like diabetics, they always have to take insulin to control levels so we always have to take our medication to control serotonin levels? I'm new to bieng treated so I don't know much about it.

As for the counting, I count in sets of three always for everything and sometimes it just gets stuck in my head--3 over and over.

my counting also involves odd numbers....when i (or anyone else for that matter) change to volume on the TV or radio or anything it HAS to stay on an odd number..... :hearts:

Guest john_v_r

When I was younger (and quite a bit more anxious) I used to count in threes. Especially three sets of three. Or three sets of three sets of three. Sometimes I would have to do little ritualistic movements to accompany the counting. It must have been quite a sight.

Nowadays I sometimes catch myself automatically counting things, like the number of times I am shaking the orange juice carton. Not particularly distressing, but odd to notice.

I count everything by fours and everything needs to be a total by ten (preferably both a multiple of four and ten). I constantly count steps, and sometimes I will combine my repetition and counting compulsions together and do things a specific number of times. I have been lat to classes because I need to turn the combination on my locker's lock twenty times before opening my locker, and if I mess up the first time, I need to start over.

The worst thing about my counting compulsion is that I still count even while I'm hurting myself. Like, I will make so many cuts, and if it's not a good number, I will cut more. If there are fourty-six cuts, it is a bad number and I will continue to cut until it is a safe number.

Guitar Hero isn't as difficult when I'm counting, at least. =P

Holy Smokes!!! I have not been diagnosed as OCD, but I really think I have it. I have always wondered about the counting thing..... It is on the list of "symptoms", but I didn't really know what they ment by counting until reading this forum topic.

I like even numbers the most. I have a habit of counting things by 2's..... floor tiles, shingles, boxes, blades of grass.... it doesn't matter.... I will count it by 2's. I don't like it when there is a "remainer". I make purchases in even numbers, too! I like to buy 2 of everything!! I also have a habit of counting by 2's on my hands. I will touch my index finger to my thumb and say "2" in my head...then I will touch my middle finger to my thumb and say "4" in my head...then the ring finger is "6" and the pinky is "8"...then I will wiggle my thumbs and think "10" and then be bothered because I don't have 4 thumbs to complete the pattern!!! I have NO idea why I do these things...... I also know "quantities" of things..... how many tiles on the floor, how many steps in the stair case, how many windows in the house.... things like that. I just have to have a running total of things. Interestingly.... I am very bad at math. Weird, huh?

Guest LEELABIRD
<font color='#FF8040'>Posted by: lizzy on June 29 2004,03:43

This got pruned - sorry.

I count stairs and when I read a book then the last word in the last sentence I read before I put the book down has to be a or b. I just continue reading until I find one like that.

this one is hard to explain. i just recently thought that maybe i have ocd. i have had panic attacks in the past and obviously have high anxiety. i just recently went into a depression. going through these boards has got me to thinking that maybe i have ocd. i feel as tho i am what they would call a "pure obsessioner". anyway, i have always done this counting thing where i visualize a compass type thing.... basically just a plus sign i guess... and i will start in the top and then go to the right, then the bottom, then the left, then the top again. the top will start as number 1, the right is number 2, the bottom is number 3, the left is number 4, then now the top is 2, the right 2, the bottom 3, the left 4, then the top 3, the right 2, the bottom 3, the left 4. so obviously i just picture the top going up one everytime and the other spots staying the same number. sometimes i do this with a cross pattern where i go from the top to the bottom to the left to the right then back to the top again and i start all over. but it is always 1234 2234 3234 4234 5234 6234.... so and so. anyone ever heard of this one before? or am i the only one with this specific compulsion?