Guest I am Cat

yeah, I have to say, I DO count over and over again... like say, to the number eight... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8... and start over and go there over and over again... I don't know... like all my counting is just a calming mechanism... like rocking back and forth is... weird, eh?  or is it? :p

i count to 12.  to the theme from i think its sesame street.  you know kind of  slow and fast and then slow again?.......its like a theme song........:;):

Okay this may seem weird but I have to count the steps when I am in the shower.  Like 1 is to wet my hair and so on.  I have been doing this since I was a little girl.  Oh and I drive on the road alot for work, so I will figure out how many exits till I get to mine and I will count as I go by so I know how many I have left.  There has been times that I lost track and I had to go back to where I started and start all over. :hearts:   At least it isn't as bad anymore.  But everyone thought I was nuts.  Now if I lose track oh well.

I count everything!!! EVERYTHING!

like with food, I count the number of grams of something I eat (the volume of milk as well if its cereal), the number of calories in each meal and I only have four meals a day and they are flour hours apart, if I really need to eat, then I will only eat at a time that is a factor of five from the last time I ate, e.g. if I had breakfast at 8.00am, and I was really hungry at 12.23, I have to wait until 12.30, or it was 12.10 I

Micheal

it sounds like you really like the number 5.  lol. thats ok. i dont have a specific number, well i do, but its a pretty high number and if i did everything in muliples of that number i would never get anything done! i hate even numbers though. even numbers drive me batty. i cant stand them. the problem with that is that even odd numbers add up to make even numbers, so i cant win.  *sigh*

I got a new word from your post BTW...thanks! xenophobic. i dont know what it means, so i gotta grab my dictionary.

:)

i looked up xenophobic. i actually have this. it applies to my life. lol.  thank you. now i know what it means and its applicable to me. i can go to my shrink and say "I am xenophobic" and he can look at me and I can wait to see what he says! LMAO!!!!! :hearts:

I count steps as well. I count in a repeating pattern of sixes. If there are, say, 19 steps, it will bug the crap out of me. I will count the first 2 sets of 6, and then, I will jump the last 2 steps to make it 6 steps instead of 7. I also do this odd thing with my hands. I will start off with my thumbs on the table, with the pinky side of my hand sticking up in the air. Then, I will rotate my hand until my thumbs are in the air and the pink side of my hand is on the table. I do this in sets of 3, preferably until I hit 9 (3 sets of 3).

For some reason, it all boils down to a base of 3. I wish I knew why.

:wave:

Just had to pop in here to say, YES I'M A COUNTER, TOO!

I count everything!  In my head, not out loud, usually.  And I don't have to repeat things if I lose track or anything, I just count things I see.

Like highway stripes, how many items I just put in the dryer, how many french fries I'm eating, how many telephone poles I see, whatever.  I have done this my entire life, and didn't realize it was OCD until I was diagnosed with Postpartum Depression and they asked if I did anything unusual like counting or whatever.  

Guess it never bothered me, so I never sought "help" for it.

I am taking Zoloft, and that has cut down the amount of counting I do, but I still do it when I see something repetitive.

Annoying little habit at times, eh?

I'm so glad I found this topic - I count years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes; like, 30 years I ago I was getting ready to start high school, one week ago I was doing XYZ, this time tomorrow I'll be working.  Every October, November, & December I track everything I did with a boyfriend in high school - it was 30 years ago, you'd think I could get past this!  I guess it's a pretty harmless thing to do; the only real problem it causes is that sometimes I don't feel like I have time to accomplish something, like if I've got something I have to do 4 hours from now I don't think I have time to go to the store, start a project around home, etc.   :hearts:

When you say track...do you mean like you write it down?

I have certain things in my life that I track and i write it down. is that like what you mean?  i track patterns.

Hi Inner Chaos!  I guess by "track" I mean I can remember every little thing we did, like the first time he talked to me was October 27th, 8:50am, the first time he called was on Halloween at 7:50 pm, the first time we had a "date" was November 1st at 7 pm, we went to a school play on November 8th at 7 pm, etc.  Every year I have to mentally re-live all of this from October 27th until the time we broke up, January 6th, 3:10 pm, in the hallway at school, etc. (I am able to get other things accomplished, tho, during those 2 1/2 months, thank God!).  It's strange that I can remember this kind of stuff, yet I really can't tell you what time I did anything yesterday.  If I was to keep track of anything like this now, like what happened on vacation last year, I'd definitely have to write it down.  Of course, that could just be old age!   :hearts:

I am amazed that you can remember the fine details of your life like that.  i cant. that is why i have to write it all down. I am foggy headed about everything.  :hearts:

hiya im a counter too but not stairs or walkingwell sometimes but its more like how many times i check the doors are locked or if the irons on and i wash my hands a certain number of times and i like the numbers 2 5 7 10 and 28 but not as much i dont know why but i sometimes feel like im going mad and i feel like im the only person with this nutter thing in my head making me do this! help!

Guest mellors

i count letters and also remember car numberplates of tv adverts also when i leave a room i have to lock the doors and windows before i go into another room ???

i only recently realised i had OCD, i've known about having depression for about 3 years now, but only about a couple of weeks ago a iactually realised OCD. I feel really stupid because to be honest it's glaringly obvious, i hate germs to the point where i dont veen use public toilets, incase even the bottoms of my trousers so much as touch the floor, i constantly twitch and make sounds that i just feel like i need to do, and know i find out other people have this counting thing. I ALWAYS do it !  it really gets to me, and i think i've done it pretty much my entire life, even little things like extending a finger a certain amount of times or stroking my cat a certain amount of times, just absaloutly everything i seem to count. So i think i can now safely add OCD to my current CV consisting of severe depression, social anxiety and a fear of intimacy WOOOOo i feel great !

:hearts: oh_dear  You are not alone. I not only count but have to have things in 7's. I have been working on this for a long time now and am getting over it a little. I feel safe when I am number 7 at anything or if I have 7 of an object. But, I am slowly learning that even though 7 is safe, it is OK if it is another number. Not as comfortable as 7 but OK.

I also do colors. I have to repeat a color pattern in exact order over and over. I use to think that something bad would happen if I got out of order, but I am slowly conquering that, also. Just wanted you to know that there are others here who share your obsession.

:santagrin:

Ok so I count in increments of 5's....like 5 10 15 20 etc....have been doing it for years for no apparent reasoning either....will just start counting....My favorite number is also 7 and have no reasoning for this either, but if I play the lotto always feel lucky if there is a 7 in it, lol, even though I never win....have a great one all my fellow counters.... :hearts:

unquiet mind, i also used to get the idea that something bad would happen if i didn't do certain things, it used to be MUCH worse when i was a lot younger. A couple of years ago i just got so frustrated with it, and seeing as i didnt really care about anything i decided to let the bad times roll on. I just decided to stop doing it, i almost pruposley started breaking every supersticion (spelling?) just to prove a point to myslef. I've pretty much got rid of the idea that bad things will heppen noe, but i still get an uneasy feeling if i don't do certain twitches etc, i no longer feel like my family is going to die if i don't do them i just feel uneasy...

I've started waking up in the middle of the night and realising that my subconscious brain is counting - sometimes it's up in the thousands! - and probably has been ever since I fell asleep .. whereas before I fell asleep, my CONSCIOUS brain was counting. No wonder I am tired all the time..