Sign in to follow this  
ZenDarling

A Quote A Day...

We look back on our life as a thing of broken pieces, because our mistakes and failures are always the first to strike us, and outweigh in our imagination what we have accomplished.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Our sorrows and wounds are healed only when we touch them with compassion.

-- Buddha

I am going to save this one for my heartless mother. When I told her I wanted some compassion and sympathy from her...she launched into how too much sympathy is bad for a person. Too much? Really? How about NONE!, which is what she has give me....zero sympathy and compassion! Oh, I hate her so much for her lack of understanding and compassion!

Our sorrows and wounds are healed only when we touch them with compassion.

-- Buddha

I am going to save this one for my heartless mother. When I told her I wanted some compassion and sympathy from her...she launched into how too much sympathy is bad for a person. Too much? Really? How about NONE!, which is what she has give me....zero sympathy and compassion! Oh, I hate her so much for her lack of understanding and compassion!

I am so sorry :console: does she read? may I suggest a book to give her? "How to Be Compassionate" Written by His Holiness the Dalai Lama… even if she doesn't read it… it's always a great book to have around

"A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.” - Oscar Wilde

This is way, way awesome! I might get it carved into my front door, as a sort of a filter ;)

I was thinking custom-made welcome mat, but people don't always look there - carved in door is a much better idea. Haha.

How brilliant! Must copy to remember :thumbs-up:

"There is a face beneath this mask, but it isn't me. I'm no more that face than I am the muscles beneath it, or the bones beneath that." - Steve Moore

"I ask you this simple question: If, in our finitude, we can appreciate the value of pain in even one single life, is it that difficult to grant the possibility that an infinite God can use pain to point us to a greater malady? We see through a glass darkly because all we want is to be comfortable. We cannot understand the great plan of an all-​knowing God who brings us near through the value of pain—or of disappointment with pleasure." ~Ravi Zacharias

[What's so bad about atrophy? Well, imagine all the electrical cords in your house began to atrophy. They would shrivel and retract. The greater the atrophy, the greater the shriveling and retracting. If the cords retracted a lot, they would be pulled out of their electrical outlets and those electrical devices would lose connectivity and power. If the cords in your computer and telephone atrophied significantly, they would retract out of their connections or break. Either way, connectivity would be lost.]

"Bruce McEwan has shown that, in a rat, after as little as a few weeks of stress or of exposure to excessive glucocorticoids, brain axons and dendrites begin to shrivel, to atrophy and retract a bit. Moreover, the same can occur in the primate brain. When that happens, synapatic connections get pulled apart and the complexity of your neural networks declines. . . Fortunately, it appears that at the end of the stressful period, the neurons can dust themselves off and regrow those connections"

- Robert Sapolsky

Edited by Epictetus

One of my faves...

In the 1930's and '40's, Keith Miller was a legendary cricketer, accomplished philanderer and party animal, and wartime fighter pilot. One day, walking off the ground after a game he single-handedly turned in his team's favour, he was asked how he dealt with the pressure. He said,

"Pressure!? That's not pressure! Pressure is a Messerschmidt up yer arse"

Clearly, he new a thing or two about perspective.

“...Surely the Board knows what democracy is. It is the line that forms on the right. It is the don’t in don’t shove. It is the hole in the stuffed shirt through which the sawdust slowly trickles; it is the dent in the high hat. Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half the people are right more than half the time. It is the feeling of privacy in the voting booths, the feeling of communion in the libraries, the feeling of vitality everywhere. Democracy is a letter to the editor. Democracy is the score at the beginning of the ninth. It is an idea which hasn’t been disproved yet, a song the words of which have not gone bad. It’s the mustard on the hot dog and the cream in the rationed coffee.”

-E. B. White's essay entry in a contest sponsored in part by the war board and the New Yorker, about democracy

'Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.' -Stephen King

Me- 'You mean not everyone carries a book in their purse?!' (incomprehension)

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth,

so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind.

To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again.

To make a deep mental path,

we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.

√Henry David Thoreau

Sign in to follow this