Do You Pray?

camilo

Me it never helped. Praying never lead me to anything better. I felt better, once I stopped hoping for help that never comes.

But I learned over the years that for some people it brings a legit sense of positivity, or help or something. I learned to respect their decision as long as they respect mine. I guess it just depends on the person. Some get something from it. Some don't.

Edited by The_Unwanted

I pray. But it does not help as I would imagine. That means it does not have immediate effect on my illness. But because I am 100% sure Lord exists and can do something for me, I think, praying is not senseless. He does not want me to fear and feel hopeless but He allows that to happen. He expects I will do something on my part and says 'Ask and it will be given to you.'

In the last time prayer is a struggle 'cause everyday existence is the struggle.

Edited by Mikayla

I pray. To me, I feel that there another dimension to reality: mysteriousness. I find that learning more does not make this dimension shrink but actually makes it grow in my consciousness. The more I know, the more mysterious everything becomes.

I believe that "meaning" is not just an epiphenomenon; an insignificant miniscule and illusory bubble on infinite chaos and absurdity or the random concatenation of blind processes. I believe there is a connection between ultimate meaning and ultimate mystery; and that I can let myself go; that in falling into the mystery and the meaning that I am meant to do so, because I am part of it. So I see a wise foolishness to prayer: to opening myself to that most obvious dimension which goes unnoticed. For me, nothing is more obvious than mystery. For me, to pray means to believe in the mystery of meaning, Ultimate meaning and to believe in the mystery of hope,Ultimate hope.

I do not find this to be incompatible with any known scientific facts.

Edited by Epictetus

I do, but I don't pray to personified deities. I pray to God, but to me he is more abstract concept of love and warmth and hope and creation than anything. I do not know how common that is... I am not very active in religion anymore, even though I was raised Catholic and Lutheran.

I don't pray in the classic sense. I am more spiritual than religious but I do speak to whomever is in charge and ask for help and guidance and then I try and pay attention for the answer. they usually finds their way to me. I found asking a question looking for insight and understanding gets me the best response then simply requesting for the pain to go away. I guess maybe it is a team effort. As much as I do believe in the golden rule Ask And You Shall Receive, we still have to do our part to work on ourselves. Nothing is being handed to me but if I ask questions that seem to point me towards healing and progress somehow my prayers do get answer. The information I need to help me find my way finds its way to me.

I was raised in church, christian school, church 3 times a week, no cussing, no tv, no music all the great things. I prayed my whole childhood, I prayed as a teen, young adult yep. God never listened or helped me in any way. So yes, I pray, I say god please let "a" be ok, they get sicker. I pray god, please help me through this, it gets worse, now I still pray but it is out of habit more than anything. I don't believe god is here for me, he might be for others and that is great, but he left me to flounder and suffer on my own a long time before I walked away from him.

It is a form of desperation for me. It helps to try and be able to give up everything to something higher than myself. All I think I can really hope for from prayer, besides a kind of unburdening, is wisdom and strength.

Edited by camilo

the simple answer is yes.

but i don't know that i have all the answers about who i am talking to or why it matters.

i don't know that it "works" or that i have any "leverage" by getting what i ask for (i am thinking of god as a vending machine that is not giving me what i think i need)...though i would love to escape the darkness...maybe that is not what i have been looking for by praying once in awhile. i guess i don't assume that things will change in a way i can always see or understand. my circumstances have taught me humility, maybe that helps with expectations. i am not sure what i am saying here. i have tried hard not to believe in god, but after looking at it from all the angles i guess i do believe something...so i pray.

maybe the conversation/prayer that happens and is meaningful to me is a lot like those here at the df who are understanding, empathetic, but have not yet "healed" me, but i find that i value the conversation/prayer and it becomes meaningful to me in the relationship without thinking i have to be "fixed" by anyone on the site.

i probably pray more when i am angry about my life. but i remember reading the psalms in the bible in the hospital room and there were a lot of complaints, despair and anger spoken in prayers there and it seems okay with god to be honest...i kind of like that.

i might try the lords prayer as you practice. i will look it up.

Although I cannot speak for others, for me "praying" has something to do with how I answer the question of whether QUANTITY is the supreme value. Obviously, as a being with personality, I am quantitatively insignificant compared to stars and galaxies which dwarf me. And if I regarded "quantity" as the ultimate, then I would not pray. But although astronomically speaking, man is very insignificant; qualitatively speaking: man is the astronomer. So for me as least, and I might be wrong, a Highest Being would have to possess the good of personality or else it would be inferior to lower beings. So I guess, in praying, I am saying: I do not accept quantitative magnitude [discrete or continuous] as the highest value.

I am attracted to the idea in the Christian faith about Christ "overcoming the world." What I think that means is that as hellish as things can be on earth, if we have faith, we will someday find relief outside of this world.

Yes I pray everyday. I am a believer in Jesus Christ and His principles in the Bible, I may not get an immediate answer like people desire or hope I allow the Lord to work and not expect a "candy out the machine" for .75c I think many people think of God as some ATM machine, all they want is "give me" or demanded instantaneous answers. Knowing, Loving and serving God is relational which most are afraid of due to the changes that maybe necessary to serve God. Jesus Christ is reliable and true, I'm a witness to that fact. ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm atheist so I don't pray to a deity. Being humanist my thoughts, self-reflections, and wishes are directed more at myself as the entity in control of my situation . Not that its necessarily working but since I do not believe in a God I'm all I have to make this s--t work.

I have to say no. I don't have faith or a faith. I don't believe in God in a conventional sense; I don't really believe in any god of any kind in any unconventional sense either. So basically no. :0/

I used to think vaguely that the universe itself might be a sentient being and that it might just be dreaming us or some such thing, but I can't say I've ever really prayed to it. :0/

Edited by Huge

• 3 weeks later...

When I was young, I was always told to pray to God and ask for blessings and to thank him. I use to pray a lot when I was young. The only problem was that God was not taking me out of a god awful living condition. God was not helping me from getting bullied in school and by other family members. God never made this broken and twisted family any better. The other week I had a Q&A with a Catholic priest. He said that God loves everyone personally and individually. I asked him, then why does God still let people suffer in war torn countries, lets people starve to death, leave them living in poverty, lets young children die of terminal cancers, lets children be born with down syndrome, and leaves women or children in abusive homes. How do you tell any of theses people that God still loves them, but God wants them to stay in their miserable condition and suffer until the end. But I suppose I should be thankful that I am still alive today, so maybe my prayers worked.