angelajo

Latuda And Weight Gain

Has anyone else experienced extreme weight gain on Latuda? Like ** lbs in 6 months? I already had a weight problem before i went on it :( This was my miracle drug and now i have to go off of it...... Any advice on it? Going back on to abilify.

Edited by SufferInSilence

Is the doctor suggesting you go off is it because of weight gain or is it something you want? If it is your decision, weigh the benefits vs negatives. Can you change your eating habits and exercise habits enough to compensate for the medication?

From what I've read, Latuda is supposed to be one of the first antipsychotics to cause less weight gain than its "competitors". But my reading also suggests that if weigh gain is going to occur it will be at doses of 60mg or higher.

I was already gaining weight to begin with, but when I started Latuda, it was like a damn broke and I exploded. I gained a bunch of weight really fast. Pdoc does not want to take me off of it as it did bring me up a little bit and refuses to believe that Latuda had any effect on my weight at all. I am still at 40mg and I don't think he plans to move it any. Of course I don't think he really wants to adjust anything I'm on. Abilify was also a big gainer for me. Geodon was the only one that stabilized my weight, but I was on a really high dose, and my depression was sinking lower so he switched to the Latuda. I really want it to work, I just can't handle the weight gain. Pdoc just says, "get up and move".

I recently went from abilify to latuda 60mg and gained almost 20 pounds SO FAST it cant be natural weighy gain and my eating habits stayed the same. Im probably going to go off it i hope. Gaining weight is stressing me out now nothing fits and im not working cause of depression so cant buy new clothes. UGH

@Xtina2121 sorry that you are in such a hard place. I’m on Latuda now and haven’t had weight gain yet I get extra anxious after taking it and I need to keep moving my feet or legs when sitting down. Yet it is helping so much with the depression. Meds and insurance are so difficult to deal with😟!

How are you doing now?

On 10/8/2018 at 3:05 PM, BeyondWeary said:

@Xtina2121 sorry that you are in such a hard place. I’m on Latuda now and haven’t had weight gain yet I get extra anxious after taking it and I need to keep moving my feet or legs when sitting down. Yet it is helping so much with the depression. Meds and insurance are so difficult to deal with😟!

How are you doing now?

This anxiousness and feeling of having to keep moving you're describing is probably akathisia. You need to let your prescriber know about that. S/he could give you something to ameliorate that, probably Cogentin.