Writing Things Down Before Appointments?

neurotic_lady89

Do any of you do this before pdoc or T appointments? Not necessarily journal-type entries, but bullet-pointed lists of current symptoms and the like. I am going to see a new doctor next Friday, and thought making a list of my symptoms might be helpful for my doctor. I am able to verbalize what I'm feeling pretty well, but being only human and appointments only being so long, sometimes I forget to say "everything" by the time my appointment is up. Since none of the psychiatrists at my practice really do intake interviews, it seems like either having fantastic memory that you can pull out on the spot OR writing things down are the only ways for the doctor to get a better understanding of the situation.

I do not want to annoy my doctor by doing this, but then wonder

1. Why on earth they would be annoyed, and how reasonable it is to even fear that;

2. Why I should care anyway when it is re: my own treatment.

Thanks for reading!

I recently actually wrote down my current symptoms for my new and current doctor to read last week. It's really good to write things down, even then I still forgot to mention two or three things not on my symptoms list.

Edited by LeBlanc

I keep a log (like a journal) but just bullet points usually. Day, general mood, when/what I ate, how I slept, anything else that stands out. My doctors both love it. They're scientists, remember, so they're the type of people looking for data patterns they can analyze.

I think it's an excellent idea! I do this before all of my doctors appts. I list any new meds I'm on, any new vitamins I'm taking, level of emotions, level of exercise I've been doing and any major events in life. I also list my current weight (I'm having challenges eating and am having issues with not gaining weight) and what my diet and sleep levels are. I find all of my doctors really appreciate this and if I write it down, I won't forget it. It gives them a running history for their files that they can refer back to.

Hope this works out well for you, Christina :-)

Take gentle care,

Trilher

I write down things before appointments so that I don't forget anything important. I keep them in a notebook or a notepad on my phone like a grocery list and add to it as something comes to mind. I think it's a great tool to use. There's nothing like getting home from an appointment and realizing that XYZ didn't come up so you don't know what to do about it.

Best Wishes.

I recently actually wrote down my current symptoms for my new and current doctor to read last week. It's really good to write things down, even then I still forgot to mention two or three things not on my symptoms list.

Hi,

I agree . I usually write things down as well, especially when I am starting a new medication. If they know what is going on with you, they can help you better.