Sign in to follow this  
AmberV

Drinking And Anti-Depressants

Well I am a young single person, so I do go out sometimes with friends, and many of them enjoy drinking.

Unfortunately I find that drinking is horrible for my anxiety and depression.

Pre anti-depressants I would be so anxious and low the day after drinking. I was almost suicidal.

Now that I take anti-depressants, my reaction the next day isn't so bad, however I find that it makes me really tired, flat and like crying for days after.

I think I need to make the decision to stop drinking,. It is hard though when it's such a common thing to do with young people. Previously when I have had nights out and decided to abstain, I always get quizzed and people put me down because I am not drinking!

Frustrating

I agree it is difficult to not o my make the decision,but to put up with the ridicule some people give. Good for you though. You are listening to your body and paying attention. I couldn't do that for a long time.

Could you order a non alcoholic drink that looks alcoholic? I ask because I don't know if I could handle the questions people ask sometimes. You could also be the designated driver a couple times. That might work, but I think eventually you will have to say it doesn't work with your medication. What kind of medication is not really their business, but they will ask.

Eventually you might get to the place where you tell one or two people.

I am sure others will have better suggestions. You know you, wait for some other answers and see what fits you. And again, good job listening to your body.

AmberV,

I noticed that too, and some of us get worse effects from alcohol than others. I always loved drinking (TOO much) and I didn't feel the slightest hint of anxiety or depression while drunk, but the next day usually = panic attacks, lingering anxiety, and sometimes depression. I still felt that way on AD's but the anxiety would reduce shortly after I took my morning AD, especially if I drank copious amounts of Powerade.

The depression I am in now is the longest I've ever had, spanning in total about 3 years (slightly over). It took away my ability to feel much joy or pleasure from things. Ironically, I loved drinking so much, that depression makes me not want to drink. Drinking = Joy, Depression = Take joy away. This is probably for the best, but I don't know what I'll do if this ever subsides.

Do you notice it takes a certain number of drinks, roughly, for you to get the horrible effects? I heard SSRI's can lower your alcohol tolerance a bit, along with alcohol's normal depression/anxiety causing "properties." I noticed anything after 3 stiff drinks, for me personally, was getting into "you will have terrible anxiety when the booze wears off" territory. I'd try to limit myself to those three (easier said than done - that or I'm just a lush!) and space them out with tall glasses of water. Another thing I used to do avoid my tendency to chug/power down cocktails and very slowly sip them. By the time I got to drink 3, it was time to go home.

I'm not saying to keep drinking, but there may be ways for you to enjoy a little bit without removing it entirely. If that's not the case, then you should probably give it up for a while.