Horrible Dreams

Hi Ever since I have been on Venlafaxine I have had weird and horrible dreams nearly every night but I have noticed there a 100 times worse if I miss taking my dose. The dream are more vivid and a lot more freaky . Things are always relentless in them say something chases you then no matter what it's there in your face till you wake up plus then it plays on your mind all day

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am new to the forums. I mostly hang around and read the posts when I have issues with certain things. But, I saw this post and I decided to reply because I have experience the same thing as far as the vivid and wierd dreams. My doc doesn't seem to think that dreams should be that bad. I'm like take this medicine and you will see what I am talking about. Some of my dreams had people like loved ones saying really hurtful things to me that they wouldn't say to me in reality. I can go on and on , on this. This is the reason why I am going off of it myself. It's not worth the torturous dreams every night and waking up the next morning in tears or terrified because I couldn't believe I exper that. Hope things get better for you.

I have dreams where I'm always hiding, always running from something. A lot of cases where there are near misses and the "bad guys" almost get me, but I manage to escape only to continue running, but they're always on my tail.

Also in my nightmares it feels like I'm running in water. My steps are so heavy it's as if the very earth itself doesn't want me to escape.

It's overall a sense of me fighting an impossible fight with nobody on my side, and even the earth is not gonna help me. I've been having these since I was a boy and they still occur once in a while. It's just really, really frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

When I first started taking Venlafaxine the dreams were so horrible I would wake up screaming. My puppy was not amused. I did find that the nightmares got few and far between. Then I stopped remembering any of my dreams. But I was taking it at night. I complained to my Dr. about not being able to stay awake during the day no matter what time I went to bed and when he asked when I took my meds, I told him and he suggested that I start to take the Effexor in the morning. So now the dreams are back and worse than ever. I mean dreams that would usually bring me to tears. But ever since I started taking Lithium and Venlafaxine I haven't cried. It's been 7months now. My dreams are conjuring up images so horrible that it scares me. Obviously the images and the story scare me, but the fact that my own mind could think of such things is horrifying. I'm sorry that you all are having this problem also, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

• 4 weeks later...

I've always found dreams an issue when upping doses of SSRIs etc. Citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine. I'm currently 4 weeks into a dose increase from 112.5 to 150 and it's not eased off yet. Some nights are worse than others.

I never miss a dose so can't comment on that effect (I learned that the hard way on my previous meds) it just messes everything up for me and just not worth it. I use an app on my phone to remind me

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I, too, remember my dreams being incredibly vivid when I started taking Effexor XR. More so than any other of the antidepressants I've tried. I can tell you before taking Effexor XR I would have nightmares when I was under a great deal of stress. Perhaps this is what is causing you to suffer from such vivid nightmares. Do you exercise to help your body deal with stress?

"No great mind has ever existed without a hint of madness" - Aristotle

Meds: 300 mg Effexor XR, 75 mg Paxil CR, 70 mg Vyvanse, 20 mg Adderall

• 3 weeks later...