Trying To Get Out Of This Rut....

Hi everyone! I just turned 20 years old, and have experienced depression for several years. Lately I've been trying to fight it but life is just getting more and more horrible. I have also had problems with self harming but I haven't done that for several months now. I really don't know how I'm ever going to make my life better. I need help from family but most of them don't want to give me any support at all because they just think I'm too lazy to do anything. They don't take my suffering seriously. Especially a sibling that used to beat me up when I was very young (around 5 years old, they were 15), and now is telling lies to people so they won't help me. I'm not sure why my sibling is so cruel to me. I hope I'll be able to get help on here & help others also!

Jules19,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you are able to find some friends here and some stories which will help to spur you towards a change of pace. I'm sorry that siblings can be so mean, that just stinks. Let us know if we can do anything for you or if we can help you in anyway. Hang in there.

I've always been scared to get help because I thought people wouldn't take me serious. I've head back from telling my family because I thought they would think I'm crying out for attention. I never told them til it got so big that I was forced to be hospitalized so they found out about everything all at once. It was an overwhelming experience...but it has helped me greatly. Getting help from a doctor or something is a good idea to start with if you aren't getting help already. Once they know they can help you and your family deal with your depression. Once my family realized other people were involved they took it very serious and did all they could.

Jules19,

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you are able to find some friends here and some stories which will help to spur you towards a change of pace. I'm sorry that siblings can be so mean, that just stinks. Let us know if we can do anything for you or if we can help you in anyway. Hang in there.

Thank you!

I've always been scared to get help because I thought people wouldn't take me serious. I've head back from telling my family because I thought they would think I'm crying out for attention. I never told them til it got so big that I was forced to be hospitalized so they found out about everything all at once. It was an overwhelming experience...but it has helped me greatly. Getting help from a doctor or something is a good idea to start with if you aren't getting help already. Once they know they can help you and your family deal with your depression. Once my family realized other people were involved they took it very serious and did all they could.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm sorry you're not shown the support you deserve, I think at this point in time there is a tendency for society in general to not take many mental health issues seriously. Nonetheless I hope that things get better for you and if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to send me a message :)

Sorry to hear you fell like you don't have any support. I was 21 when I realised I was actuallly depressed and my deep sadness wasn't just how life was. My family were didn't know how to handle me and I evenutually found solice in the fact that why woudl they, they aren't mental health professionals after all.

I did find medicine helped take the edge off but the therapy helped with my thought processes.

OK I might be going through a particularly bad time at the moment and have had bad periods over the last 15 years. However there will be periods of respite and although I tried to commit suicide back then I am so glad I failed as even though I still having trouble now and then to deal with my illness I would have missed some of the greatest days of my life.

Sorry to hear you fell like you don't have any support. I was 21 when I realised I was actuallly depressed and my deep sadness wasn't just how life was. My family were didn't know how to handle me and I evenutually found solice in the fact that why woudl they, they aren't mental health professionals after all.

I did find medicine helped take the edge off but the therapy helped with my thought processes.

OK I might be going through a particularly bad time at the moment and have had bad periods over the last 15 years. However there will be periods of respite and although I tried to commit suicide back then I am so glad I failed as even though I still having trouble now and then to deal with my illness I would have missed some of the greatest days of my life.

Thank you for the post! I'm sorry that you're having a bad time right now.

I'm sorry you're not shown the support you deserve, I think at this point in time there is a tendency for society in general to not take many mental health issues seriously. Nonetheless I hope that things get better for you and if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to send me a message :)

Thank you!

I totally feel for you in regards to your sibling treating you badly, for my sister who is sixteen years older than me who used to treat me badly a few years back. However, what ultimately stopped my sister from messing with me was to confront her about it and stand my ground. Because I was a full grown man who didn’t have to take such nonsense, therefore I had to tell her that I wasn’t going to take it anymore and it stopped soon after. I hope in regards to your sibling you do the same because you deserve respect as a human being. Most importantly, such viciousness from a family member/members is highly unproductive to your wellbeing therefore I hope you can someday overcome such challenges. Thank you for sharing your post and I hope this site helps you find the tools to overcome the challenges of depression. :smile:

P.S. Sorry if my post came out a little angry I just don’t like bullies. :bow:

I totally feel for you in regards to your sibling treating you badly, for my sister who is sixteen years older than me who used to treat me badly a few years back. However, what ultimately stopped my sister from messing with me was to confront her about it and stand my ground. Because I was a full grown man who didn’t have to take such nonsense, therefore I had to tell her that I wasn’t going to take it anymore and it stopped soon after. I hope in regards to your sibling you do the same because you deserve respect as a human being. Most importantly, such viciousness from a family member/members is highly unproductive to your wellbeing therefore I hope you can someday overcome such challenges. Thank you for sharing your post and I hope this site helps you find the tools to overcome the challenges of depression. :smile:

P.S. Sorry if my post came out a little angry I just don’t like bullies. :bow:

Thank you for the advice! Hope you're feeling well today!

I want a good reply from you, a real reply, not just a thank you.

Let's face it people can't help if they don't know what's going on. I don't think you are ready to tell them, and they probably aren't ready to hear it. Search the forum here. There is a ton of information that could help you.

Do you go to therapy?

Do you take medication?

Depression is an awful thing. If you can afford therapy, look here. Google mindfulness, how to change your thoughts. Something to help yourself that doesn't tske much effort. Because depression can take all our energy away. Showering has caused me to nap before.

Talk to us more. We are here for you.

And congratulations on not hurting yourself for a while. Good for you. That's a great accomplishment.

I want a good reply from you, a real reply, not just a thank you.

Let's face it people can't help if they don't know what's going on. I don't think you are ready to tell them, and they probably aren't ready to hear it. Search the forum here. There is a ton of information that could help you.

Do you go to therapy?

Do you take medication?

Depression is an awful thing. If you can afford therapy, look here. Google mindfulness, how to change your thoughts. Something to help yourself that doesn't tske much effort. Because depression can take all our energy away. Showering has caused me to nap before.

Talk to us more. We are here for you.

And congratulations on not hurting yourself for a while. Good for you. That's a great accomplishment.

My thank you's are real :p No I don't go to therapy or take medication. I don't have any money, insurance, or transportation for that. But that's ok since I seem to be able to function somewhat normally, so I don't think its gotten to the point where I need that.

ps. Thanks for the reply :p

I know your replies are genuine, in am sorry, after reading that it sounds so harsh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it to come out gateway. Please accept my apology. I feel terrible.

You definitely need support from someone. Do you have anyone that is there for you, someone to listen to you vent or cry?

I know your replies are genuine, in am sorry, after reading that it sounds so harsh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it to come out gateway. Please accept my apology. I feel terrible.

You definitely need support from someone. Do you have anyone that is there for you, someone to listen to you vent or cry?

Don't feel terrible, you're post is fine! I know that you're just trying to help. There's no need to apologize. When I'm upset I have my parent to talk to. They're the only other person in my house so I don't really have a choice :p & sometimes I'll text some people to get my mind off of things. Hope you're having a good day!