Songs That Speak To Your Soul

Michelle38

Music has played an integral role in helping me survive my depression. I get random song lyrics that pop in my head at just the right time to help me carry on and fight to live another day. They seem to bring insight and inspiration and answers to the questions that plague me. As well I always seem to happen upon a song that speaks to my soul and helps me release my pain and feel better. Below are some of the songs that have touched me. Please add your own.

Brave by Josh Groban

Brave by Sara Bareilles

Breath by Ryan Star

Carry On by Fun

Close Your Eyes by Michael Buble

Everybody Hurts by R.E.M.

Fix You or just about any Cold Play song

I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz

No Day But Today by Idina Menzel

River So Wide by Phil Collins

Roads by Chris Mann

Run by Snow Patrol

Shine by Take That

Show Me What I’m Looking For by Carolina Liar

Some Day by Rob Thomas

Stay Alive by Jose Gonzalez

You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban

And last but not least this song found its way to me on the very night I hit my lowest point. The darkest place anyone can find themselves, a place where I had lost all hope of ever overcoming my despair. I was giving up and I firmly believe this song saved my life.

May It Be by Enya

Two optimistic/happy songs I listen to are
The Shape of Things to Come- Bear McCreary

Light Through the Veins- John Hopkins

Relaxing feel good songs for me are
You Got to Go (MJ Cole remix)- Above & Beyond

Stairway to Heaven- The O'Jays

Strangers- Yoko Kanno

I do listen to sad songs as well. Releases bad energy.

God Senna Theme Reprise Redux - Antonio Pinto

Distance- Toshihiko Sahashi

Edited by Trapped_Mind

I've just been listening to Lucinda Williams today. (I hope a link to some songs is allowable. If not, my apologies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQVaGdJEMY I Lost It

I just want to live the life I please
I don't want no ememies
I don't want nothin, if I have to fake it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP9ZFkqt5Lw Lake Charles

This is just a really beautiful song that makes me tear up, but in a good way.

I apologize in advance for the length of my list lol

James Blake - Wilhelm Scream

Natasha Khan & Jon Hopkins - Garden's Heart

Gary Jules - Mad World

Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me I'm Dying Of Thirst

Interpol - Obstacle 1

Julian Plenti (Interpol) - Only If You Run

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Band of Horses - No Ones Gonna Love You, The Funeral, Detlef Schrempf, & Is There A Ghost

The Black Keys - You're The One

Kid Cudi - All Along (Alone), Erase Me, Trapped In My Mind, & The End

Bob Marley - There She Goes & No Woman No Cry

Lil Wayne - I Hate Love

Lil B - I Hate Myself & Gon Be Okay

Earl Sweatshirt - Luper

Penny & The Quarters - You and Me

Portishead - Numb, Only You, Wandering Star, & pretty much their whole catalogue

Vince Staples - Taxi & Versace Rap

Eminem - If I Had, Stan, Way I Am, Just Don't Give A F**k, & Still Don't Give A F**k

Eyedea - **(Possible trigger)** Burn Fetish, Smile, By The Throat, Factory, Paradise, Time Flies When You Have A Gun, Hay Fever, Spin Cycle, & Sky Diver

And finally, the last song I'll ever listen to: The Notorious BIG - Suicidal Thoughts

I actually need sad songs when I feel bad. They allow me to really feel sad isntead of just putting the lid on those feelings. So I usually listen to those. Reflect and sometimes even cry and I feel better eventually.

I personally love Pink Floyd - The Wall album. Not only that it's musically stunnign and it contains some of the best written lyrics ever but it also speaks on topic of personal isolation which resoantes within me deeply. "Tragedy of modern man" I'd call it :-)

I actually need sad songs when I feel bad. They allow me to really feel sad isntead of just putting the lid on those feelings. So I usually listen to those. Reflect and sometimes even cry and I feel better eventually.

I personally love Pink Floyd - The Wall album. Not only that it's musically stunnign and it contains some of the best written lyrics ever but it also speaks on topic of personal isolation which resoantes within me deeply. "Tragedy of modern man" I'd call it :-)

Yes, the same here on both fronts. My list is very sappy and sentimental. I find crying it out helps a lot. I also love Pink Floyd's The Wall. It is by far my favorite album ever. I am generally a song person, I like particular songs but that album the whole thing is a masterpiece to me.

I've sat and listened to this for hours some days the vibration when listened to loud helps lift my spirits, such beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE4gvD8lhlw

Some great music listed already.

Good song, made me think of this by him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI

Requiem is great, really woke the neighbours up with that.

this is a little more Sombre but great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVlyzznCxkQ

Bridge Over Troubled Waters. You Lift Me Up.

Music by Beethoven, Britten, Samuel Barber. Prokofiev and many others.

Sad songs. "Adagio for Strings" by Samuel Barber is the saddest music I have ever heard. It can bring tears to my eyes. Sometimes its helps me to listen to it. Sometimes I cannot bear it because it is so sad.

My choices are mostly bittersweet or just flat-out sad, but it looks like some other people have gone that way as well (loving the classical!). For me, Common Reactor and Rusted Wheel by Silversun Pickups, a bunch of songs by Raised by Swans, and 3055 by Ólafur Arnalds do it every time. There are others but those are the ones that occur to me off the top of my head. If you've only got time for one song, 3055 is a bit intense (in my opinion), but also one of the most beautiful pieces of music that I'm aware of. If you're into classical music in general, Ólafur Arnalds is worth looking into; he puts a more modern spin on it which I find interesting.

Also, Fiona Apple, Sara Bareilles, and the band Lyu:Lyu, among others, tend to cheer me up.

Failure - Another Space Song

Soundgarden - Blind Dogs, Rowing

Meat Puppets - Fly Like the Wind, New Leaf, Roof With a Hole

Stone Temple Pilots - All in that Suit That You Wear

Alice in Chains - Nutshell, Voices

Faith No More - King for a Day, Last Cup of Sorrow

Honestly I could probably sit here and list stuff all day. But these few are all good.

Asleep~The Smiths

Seasick Yet Still Docked~Morrissey (it`s on my list too!!!)

Well I Wonder~The Smiths

Smiler With Knife~Morrissey

Fell On Black Days~Soundgarden

Back To The Old House~The Smiths

Unloveable~The Smiths

Most of mine are sad.For me anyway it helps me to listen to music that I can very much relate to.It sort of helps me feels less alone.

Edited by Lady Mozzer

"Let Go" by FrouFrou is an amazing song. Sometimes I listen to it when I feel like I'm sliding back into depression. The lyrics say "There's beauty in the breakdown," and this makes me feel that I'm still worthwhile even though I'm depressed.

"Lithium" by Evanescence is also a great song. It describes the struggle of wanting to recover, but at the same time being so used to the depression/mental illness that it's had to change.

I love Britney Spears music to cheer me up, since a lot of her songs are fun and light.

I never saw the movie but Frozen's "Let It Go" is a really powerful song. Especially the cover on YouTube someone did using Goofy's voice, that ALWAYS makes me laugh! :D

Other cheerful songs I also love:

Fly by Hilary Duff

Brave by Sara Bareilles

What a Feeling by Irene Cara

Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder

I may add more as I think of them! This is a great topic.

Edited by KayElle