Sign in to follow this  
Bringstarlight

Increase Dose Or Just Quit?

I saw my pdoc today due to increased anxiety and depression. I've been taking lexapro for about a year for both GAD and depression. I started at 5mg for a month, increased to 10 for another, and I've been on 15mg since. It worked amazingly. I still had bad days, and always had a little underlying feeling of anxiety, but I was better than ever.

About a month ago, it totally stopped working. I've been depressed and can barely find motivation to get out of bed. I didn't leave my house for over a week. The only thing that changed is that right now I have a month off from college. That's it. I don't know if this is a situational thing, but I doubt it is.

My pdoc prescribed Zoloft instead, but I'm not quite ready to let go of Lexapro since it worked so well up until a few weeks ago. I asked about switching to 20mg, and she just kind of brushed it off.

Does the extra 5mg make a difference, or should I just go with what my pdoc says and switch to Zoloft? Has anyone had any luck going from 15mg to 20mg after the former completely stopped working? I have enough pills to try 20mg of Lexapro until my next pdoc appointment, so I was wondering if I should ignore the Zoloft for now and just try that. Thanks! Xx

Hello,

My strongest opinion is to go on 20 mg cipralex. Cipralex worked wonders for me too, and I was on 20 mg.

I decided to stop it after 3 years because I was feeling amazing. Than 6 months later, this past spring, anxiety came back. The doc put me on celexa.

Honestly, I don't find it works as good as cipralex. I will give it until spring 2015 and if I don't start feeling as good as I was on cipralex, I will switch to cipralex.

Honestly, I would go on 20 mg cipralex and stay there for 8 weeks. If it doesn't work, than look into something else. This is my personal opinion based on personal experience with cipralex.

I vote for increasing to 20 mg :) That is what I take and it has been working for me for 9 months now. I know that is a common dose. It's better to at least try moving up to 20, and if that doesn't work, you could always switch to another med.