Just Me Or Does Anyone Else Avoid Tv Newscasts?

brokenagain

I think I can understand a little bit what you mean. Television journalism [all journalism] tends to focus attention on misfortune. And this can warp one's perspective. Today a plane crashed [news focus]. But today 40,000 planes carrying hundreds of thousands of people did not crash [a fact ignored by news]. Today a student committed a horrible act of violence in school [news focus]. But today 1,000,000,000 or more students [the majority] did not do this [a fact ignored by the news]. Today a train derailed [news]. But today tens of thousands of trains did not derail and transported hundreds of thousands of people safely to their destinations [ignored by the news].

The illusion of journalism is that "bad" is extensive and huge in the world. The exact opposite is the case. Goodness is extensive and huge and "bad" stands against it as a kind of rarity. So I think journalism can contribute to a kind of pervasive pessimism that is not warranted by facts and is therefore unrealistic. I think it also contributes to conditioning people to look for the bad all the time which can lead to unnecessary frustration, anger, sadness and feelings of apathy and hopelessness. For example, journalists frequently "count" deaths but rarely or never "count" births.

This is just my opinion.

Edited by Epictetus

I think Epictetus is right about journalism focusing on the negative. This is sometimes expressed with the phrase "if it bleeds it leads."

I know how you feel. Often when my husband is watching news I have to either leave the room or ask him to please turn it off, because I just can't tolerate it.

I very rarely sit and watch or listen to an entire newscast. I just don't care enough about what's going on to watch it.

What bothers me more though, is reading comments by readers on different news stories. I see so much stupidity there that I fear for the future. I stopped following news agencies on my facebook page because I couldn't stop reading the comments and they upset me too much.

The news can be overwhelmingly depressing. It along with the comments from readers, makes me feel as though the whole world hates my country, and they are all out to get us. It makes me feel as though my country is in a tailspin and there is simply no way to save it anymore. I often say I'm happy to be old because I won't be here when everything crashes and burns.

It doesn't make me fearful of going out, I'm not afraid of being shot or stabbed on every street corner, not afraid someone will invade my home. I see a lot of shootings, etc., but I don't worry about that happening to me.

The omnipresence of journalistic negativity causes two questions to rise up in my mind.

#1. Does the negativity of journalism [which by and large ignores the HUGENESS of positivity]; does it influence people to look for the negative in themselves and others and blind them to the HUGE positive?

#2 And does the blindness to the HUGENESS of positivity actually cause negativity to be acted out: the Holocaust, the World Wars, the politically planned mass starvations and genocides? Is it like a snowball rolling down a snowy mountain getting bigger and bigger until "looking for the negative" becomes a "doing of the negative." ?

The newspaper I read in the subway always has in the first few pages a story about car crashes or pedestrians and cyclists who've been ran over, and I noticed it contributes to making me paranoid about walking outside and using transportation.

Yes the news in terribly depressing I stopped reading, watching and listening about 5 years ago and feel like it's a source of negativity I don't need in my life and the people writing or the anchors reporting are just pushing an agenda set by a paper or station that used to make me very angry. Plus the news in the UK is just diabolical makes me think how can this give anyone a positive outlook on life just paedophilia, m*****, war and racial hatred(not that they're not important issues), I find myself a much calmer person without it. But I stopped watching tv altogether and feel it has helped me a lot in general

The omnipresence of journalistic negativity causes two questions to rise up in my mind.

#1. Does the negativity of journalism [which by and large ignores the HUGENESS of positivity]; does it influence people to look for the negative in themselves and others and blind them to the HUGE positive?

#2 And does the blindness to the HUGENESS of positivity actually cause negativity to be acted out: the Holocaust, the World Wars, the politically planned mass starvations and genocides? Is it like a snowball rolling down a snowy mountain getting bigger and bigger until "looking for the negative" becomes a "doing of the negative." ?

This I find strikingly scary to read Epictetus, just because it rings so true to me!

I don't like the news. Not because I'm ignorant, but because it's all so manipulated.

Newspapers will always go with the most dramatic story and headline. For example, if a virus comes along that scientists say will probably **** around 100 people and a worse case scenario being it will **** 1 million people, the news will go with the 1 million scenario.

People being killed by tornadoes and terrorism will always make the news because they are dramatic. People being killed asthma and diabetes almost never makes the news. Yet, in a single year, asthma and diabetes will **** more people than tornadoes and terrorism ever will.

In the mid 1990s, killer viruses were a common part of western culture and media, appearing in films and books. Then there is an outbreak of ebola in parts of Africa ******* around 250 people. The press then descend on the story quickly, and it's all over the news. Then, 2 years later, a civil war breaks out in the same regions - 3 million dead - almost no news coverage. Why? It didn't fit any existing western storyline narrative. It provided no self-interest. It didn't feel like a threat to the west.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the news is now competing with the internet as an information source, meaning the news is having to appeal to peoples fears and anxietys more than ever.

Not the news, but there are certain television shows I can't watch. All of those Animal Cop shows where they rescue animals...I avoid those because I don't want to see animals being abused and neglected in the first place. I once saw a video of a girl tossing puppies into a river, and I sobbed for two days. I can't watch anything to do with animals dying or being hurt. I will literally get up and walk out of a movie because of that.

My main way of watching anything on tv is through netflix or watching blurays and the occasional video game now and then. I see some tweets about some stuff thats on the news but I mostly ignore them. Its been forever since I've sat down and watched anything on satellite or cable...

I absolutely sympathize with not wanting to watch the news. I watch it sometimes, especially when it's local stories about positive things happening in the community. But yeah, it gets too much sometimes to see some of the bad things happening in the world. I say this as something of a news junkie, but there's nothing wrong with tuning it out when it gets to be too much.

I can't watch most mainstream media, it makes me too nervous or annoyed, especially with car commercial.

Most of the news-worthy stuff I am informed of is through a personalized RSS feed; I get a lot of cute kitten pictures as well as stuff on agriculture and mushrooms :)

I do whatever I can to avoid the news, but sometimes it can be so hard. The news is one reason I got rid of my cable. In my opinion, a lot of it seems biased and sometimes their facts aren't right. I can't even check my email because I have to face the news every time I log in. That will change eventually. Good news can do so much more. I think it has to do with ratings too.

This is just how I feel about it anyway.

Me too..

I have avoided them for several yrs because of reasons mentioned above, this includes not reading newspapers, but only because I dont live near a shop!

At least with a peper you can read selectively. The downside is I often feel v uninformed if someone mentions an important issue I have no knowledge of!

• 4 weeks later...

I have rarely watched the news or read any news for about 7 years, since my step-father died. Since then it seems like I have felt so much emotional pain, not just in grieving over him, but that was the start, that I have no interest in the news and/or little use for things that don't give me relief or escape and the news does not.

I don't watch the news, it's just far too depressing. I don't watch T.V. drama either. It just shows such a negative side of people. Media in general I think is really unhealthy. The people, the subjects, the habits it creates in people. I don't really watch television at all.