Sign in to follow this  
SFChristianGirl

Question About Group Therapy

Hi everyone.

I just have a question about group therapy.

I've been in individual CBT therapy for about 2 months now. My therapist has been encouraging me to do things more socially because I tend to be very introverted and withdrawn. He'd like for me to try group therapy to help me with my anxiety and depression. I'm interested in the idea, but I have a choice on a couple of different groups to try.

The first is a weekly DBT group and the second is a Self Esteem For Women group. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried either of these groups and if you have any suggestions for which one to try for a first timer like myself. Both of these groups are year round and I can join at any time. They're both held once a week for about an hour and a half.

There's also going to be a Chronic Pain group starting in the beginning of January and I think I'll try that in addition to one of these other groups.

Thanks for listening.

Years ago, I was in group therapy and really loved it. It becomes almost a social outlet so I would highly recommend either group. I wish I could find a group in the area I currently live, but none are offered. So go far girl!

Since you can join either at any time, can you try out both of them? Is there a cost or is it hard to physically get to them, or could you even go to both and get twice the support? I definitely think it is worth checking them out (either or both) to see if the extra connections with people as well as the group content itself are helpful. I hope you will keep us updated if you choose to go about how you found the experience(s).

Denise17: I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed group therapy so much in the past. When I first started seeing my therapist he asked if I'd like to try group therapy, but I wasn't sure if it was for me. Now that I've been in individual therapy for awhile I'd like to try groups to see if it'll help as well. Thank you for your reply.

Thimble: I thought about trying both of them. My problem is getting the time off of work. Both sessions take place during the work day and it'll be difficult for me to take any additional time off right now. I do like the idea of getting twice the support though. I'll definitely keep you posted about this. I left a message for the person who schedules the groups, but they're out until Monday, so I'm waiting to hear from them. Thanks for your reply.