Do Good Looking, Sexy People Suffer From Major Depressive Disorder????

Jcishere98

Yes, we do. ...just kidding.

I don't think I'm unattractive as our society would probably think. I say that because beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. (quote from Oliver Platt)

Unfortunately, we listen to what TV thinks is beautiful and a lot of us can't be happy in our skin. I have three daughters and I wish we never had a TV (or anyone else in their schools had TVs) because we all try to live up to those fantasy lifestyles and looks.

We all worry too much about it, including myself.

It's sad but it's a condition that our modern society gives ourselves.

My depression stems from childhood and some say it's also hereditary. I'm learning it can affect anyone. We're ALL human and equal in the end.

I did not say any actions made you bad. The point I am trying to make is a mother's love is not connected to the actions or physical characteristics of their child. I am speaking of mothers and children in general, not just you and your mother. Please please please bring these concerns up to your psychiatrist.

Your mother should not and likely does not view you in the same way as she views a guy she might describe as "hot." "Hot" has a sexual connotation and is not a normal way for a mother to think of her son. A mother loves a son in an entirely different way than she loves a husband or lover. One does not take away from the other. She can love you with her whole heart while also loving a husband or a lover. The two are separate and do not detract from each other. Have you talked to your mother about any of this?

"Y is she mentioning a hot guy infront of me tho??"

I think you may be placing too much importance on what was probably just a casual remark or joke. I'm sure it had nothing to do with you. Yes, she's your mother but we're never too old to discuss guys that we find attractive. It's perfectly harmless, so don't take it personally.

There's not one answer since everyone is different. When my son overhears me and my friends talking about some guy he just rolls his eyes and laughs. This is your third thread about the issue so it obviously made an impression, but I'm having a hard time understanding why. Is there more to it that you're not saying?

Okay, then. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, it means nothing. Your mom is human like everyone else and perhaps didn't think it would bother you so much. Maybe you should talk to her about it, but then again you may just have blown this out of perportion. You'd know best. Good luck to you.

oh ofcourse! anyone and everyone can suffer. that's why I try my hardest to be nice to everyone I meet.. as the saying goes "be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle". I think, if I remember correctly, Alex Turner from the Arctic Monkeys actually suffers from anxiety (could be making this up, he just gets major stage fright maybe).. many people find him to be one of the most attractive guys alive! when I saw them live all the guys in the crowd were replicas of him, weird. x

A mother loving you has nothing to do with how good looking you are or her thinking you are good looking. A mother loves ("should") her child because it is her child and loves the person they are. That type of love is not (shouldn't be) about physical attraction. Unfortunately many of us don't have the right type of mothering but that is what mothering should be about.

I am not sure if your feelings of family love being mixed up with attractiveness are because of your family and some sort of problem there, or if it is coming from thoughts that you are having. Whichever it is you do need to discuss it with your pdoc so that they can find out what is going on and help you.

There is also a difference between a parent or family member being critical or proud of your appearance and them commenting on it in s*x*al ways or being attracted to you. If you mother or other family members are stepping over those lines then that isnt right.

This is sounding like an ocd type of obssesion to me jc. Have you discussed this with your pdoc or t before and been told this is OCD obsession?

Either:

A. your mother loves you as a mother should and is not attracted to you.

Treats you well and pays you the right amount and type of attention.

Comments on your looks only in pride in the way mothers do.

Or:

B. your mother runs down your looks in front of you or comments on you being "hot"

pays you inappropriate attention that feels sexual (that can happen).

Is inappropriately sexual about men in front of you.

Only gives you attention related to your looks and attractiveness.

Do you start wondering about everyone looking at attractiveness and etc?

You mentioned in another post that family members are attracted to you. Which family members?

I really hope you dont post more threads with the same thing as I dont think it is good for you. I think there are about 4 out there now. What are you going to tell your pdoc? Do you want to write it out here to practice and you can take it in - written down.

Edited by Fizzle

I agree with razzmatazz. Take a couple of these threads and print off the content and take it in. The trouble is that you are feeding the obsession by keeping on posting about it in the way you are. Rather start looking at what you are trying to help. What has helped and what hasnt. What started these obsessions etc.. Posting the same thing again and again isnt going to change anything for you.