Sign in to follow this  
hkc9591

Seriously, Has Exercise Or A Change Of Diet Helped You?

I haven't read all the other responses.....but exercise is helping me right now. Not so much with the depression...but with the anxiety...which is wildly out of control. Not full blown panic attacks, but walking right up to the edge....and just staying there most of the time. Running\jogging is all that keeps it under control right now. Im not on any meds for anything.

I absolutely LOVE walking. I do as much of it as possible. Even when it's bitterly cold out, below 0F, I bundle up and go for a hike. I love seeing details that you'd miss if you were driving or riding a bus. Usually, I encounter someone walking their friendly dog and strike up a conversation.

I often wonder what would happen if I couldn't walk for some reason. It would put a huge hole in my life.

I wholeheartedly second what JD4010 said. I love walking, and bicycling too for the reason that it changes my perspective so much from when I'm driving in a car. I tend to notice all the small details around me so much more clearly, and I just feel a lot closer to the world around me, my little home town feels so much bigger.

I used to be a faithful bicyclist, and I always loved the feeling of a good ride through town or the trails. Now that I'm a little older and a little busier I'm always making excuses, but after reading the posts on this forum I think it's time to air up the tires in my old Schwinn, blow the dust off, and get back to it...

hi 91 hope you've had the time and desire to get some exercise in and reap it's benefits, if not please don't give up on giving it go.

32 its very common for riders to take long breaks from riding, I do it myself but in my case its usually to physical illness, I get so much benefit from cycling. Walking, only from my bedroom to the kitchen, etc. and that's the end of that. but I will ride 25 miles on my bike just to go visit; I only drive when absolutely necessary which nowadays has been almost everyday but I don't enjoy driving at all. hope everyone is getting some exercise and trying to enjoy life.

There was this one month when I ate only things that were good for me, perfect portions of vegetables and dietary fiber, exercised lightly, and lost 20 lbs. I like to refer to it as my perfect month because I felt so good and energetic. I think it does make a difference.

I keep seeing this and meaning to post- yes, it has! I really blew up from a lack of activity and a couple of my medications that simply tend to make you gain weight. 2014's New Years resolution for me was to lose any amount of weight and improve my body. I don't know if anyone else hates deadlines like me, but that lax approach seemed to help and I felt better, now I feel like I am on the right track to having a nicer body and not getting winded too easily

i am very 50/50 on exercise and site simple beause yes it dos improce my mood on the otherhand i find that when im depresssed my appetite isnt great and when im manic its not great. I simply find that fixate on healthy clean foodsand i become quite ocd calories, fat content quite. But i don find getting rid of the sugar reaally improves my mood, energy but then when i finally eat the stuff i feel guilty and want more and more. I still panic if i go my limits.

I love Yoga. I do it about once a week. It's so peaceful and relaxing, and thanks to my DVD's I can do it at home in the comfort of my bedroom and it doesn't matter what I look like or how long it's been since I showered and I can just go to sleep afterwards :)

I have a gym membership but I rarely use it. Going to the gym makes me depressed because the treadmill feels like a metaphor for life.

Also, with the stuff I do at the gym, I don't feel results right away like I do with yoga. With yoga my muscles feel so much better for days afterwards, but with cardio and weight training I don't notice any immediate benefits.

As far as diet, well, I'm supposed to be gluten free because of my Celiac disease but I find that really hard to stick to. My family doesn't take the disease seriously and that makes it harder for me to resist the occasional forbidden cookie or slice of cake. This is probably my worst habit and I really need to stop (it was one of my New Year's resolutions and so far I've stuck to it so hopefully I can keep it up).

I am a huge fan of junk food. The highlight of my day is sitting on the computer and eating junk food.

I do enjoy vegetables and try to eat at least a serving a day. This is my best habit.

At some point I'd like to start doing yoga daily and incorporating more fresh foods into my diet. This was my plan for the New Year but I'm feeling overwhelmed at the moment.

Since I can't stick to healthy diet and exercise habits for a long period of time, I can't say if they would help my depression; but if I could get some kind of structure and routine in my daily life I'm sure I would feel better about myself.

I have tried medication, specifically Citalopram, even increased and decreased my dosage. It didn't seem to help much if anything, and it was giving me pretty bad nausea and headaches. I have found after not being on Citalopram anymore that taking Vitamin D every day helps a lot. At first I was skeptical but then without realizing it I was waking up at normal times in the morning with energy for the first time in months. It definitely takes a few weeks to kick in and it's very gradual but I promise you will notice a change. As for diet, I have noticed that mentally I feel more together and healthier if I eat better. Not a strict diet even...just not binging on crap foods. And last but not least EXERCISE HELPS. It is tremendous how I can wake up in a horrible mood, having bad thoughts about the day..my life..but after I workout I have the energy to conquer my goals for the day. Endorphins help most of my bad moods. Morning exercise that gets your heart rate up for at least half hour every day will make a difference. And to wind down at night I usually try and go for a walk, though I live in the midwest and it's -13 degrees at the moment...

Hope I helped.

Edited by collegegirl4

Exercise helps me a lot. I don't find that changing my diet helps. If anything, I feel better when I eat the comfort foods that are not technically good for me. But exercise....I know I feel better when I do it regularly. Just the feeling of having accomplished something is helpful, let alone the actual physical and mental benefits.

For me personally, no, and I wouldn't recommend doing heavy rep weight lifting especially as it is all I ever do and has turned into a negative thing. I'm getting in shape and everything and feeling healthier but for the majority of my lifting time I'm alone, which means I literally scream at myself to push the weight up and off my body or to just die there. Maybe its just this specific type of exercise, but it was really a do or die situation where you have hundreds of pounds on your back and people screaming at you to "get that b***h weight up" or to "lift that s**t p***y". Regardless, getting your body right is the best thing you can do, with or without depression, so I would suggest completely eating nothing but fruits and by that I mean literally only fruits (no nuts, seeds, vegetables, etc.) and taking up meditation. The fruits alone will make you feel as if you have been re-birthed and I never felt calmer than when I did meditate and I actually stopped because it was just too much of a shell shock to go from nirvana back to my regular ole depressing life.

It does help somewhat but it definitely is not a miracle cure.Working out is one of the few tomes when I really am in the moment and don't ruminate so that's one good thing. I used to be grossly obese (133kg) and I have manged to get almost down to normal weight even putting on quite a load of mustle. It gave me a lot of confidence. I no longer cover and walk with my head down but straight holding my body straight. I even manage to try to ask a girls out time to time which is a huge deal to me (I screw up of course but jsut trying is a huge progress). Also working out gives me achiavable goals. For instance when lifting I can always put on enough weight so it feels liek a challange and I have to push myself and than I feel like I acomplished something but not so much that it's impossible to lift (which is how I often feel in life). I'd love to figure out how to transfer this confidence, drive and discipline in other areas of my life but so far I didn't manage to do that.

Rereading this thread again....can't stress enough how much I believe exercise and diet improve my symptoms of depression, anxiety, skin picking and PTSD.

Proper hydration also really elevates my mood. 3l of water /tea a day. It's truly amazing how much energy I have and how glowing I feel after chugging a litre of water. I'm a huge lover of coffee, but I try to limit it to before noon each day.

Yoga is a great exercise for anxiety and the socially anxious. It's usually in a dim or dark room and it's easy to go early and grab a space at the back of the room so no one can see. I also find the yoga environment and clientele to be less judgmental and competitive than the gym environment.

Sugar and flour, processed carbs, fried foods.......reducing these and cutting them out, I feel a lot better. I don't have the crash and burn cycle as much.

I haven't tried anything else, mostly because (1) meds pretty much take care of my anxiety and depression (in fact, I take only Effexor, which handles both pretty well), (2) I detest exercise, and (3) I hate vegetables! I've been on Effexor for over ten years now and it pretty much does the trick. HTH.

Exercise helps me a lot. I tried a ton of stuff though before I realized running and weight lifting helped me the most. I did yoga, dance workouts, tae bo, raquetball, Zumba, indoor cycling, kickboxing, etc... and it all kinda worked but my depression would be back within hours. After a good run I feel good all day. What works for one person may not work for you. I suggest trying lots of things and accepting that some days a workout just isn't going to do much if you feel really down. It's not a cure all like someone else mentioned. It is a way to improve your body which helps your self esteem which helps with depression. Eating healthy is just a thing that comes along with working out a lot. You need to fuel your body. I'm not on any meds, btw.