How Do They Do It?

Drustan

I have this feeling when I see people on the street, on the TV, or just anywhere... and I ask myself... how do they do it? It's just natural for them to wake up everyday, dress up, go to work, come back home, cook... where do they find the energy from? This makes me feel so.. different.. does anybody feel like this as well?

This.

I'm sure a lot of them are hiding some secret anguish from the rest of the world.

But others are, I'm sure, truly "well-adjusted". I know tons of folks for whom setbacks are truly taken as temporary - for whom things are truly in perspective. How do they do it? Dunno. Good parenting? Religious belief? Belief in self? A combination?

Also, I should add... How many of us here "appear" to be fairly hapoy, stable and well adjusted on the outside ?

Sometimes it takes all my energy to wake up, shower, get ready hair makeup and clothes, arrive to work / social function etc on time, ...and on the drive home I unravel, crying into my steering wheel, return to my hermit apartment and double bar the door for a couple days.

Mental health challenges has such a negative stigma in our society nobody is open about it, but it is actually very common !

Very good question, it's one I think about a lot.

One important thing that I think is generally overlooked is that each and every one of us has our own unique journey in life. No one on earth has ever lived the exact circumstances that you have gone though and no one ever will. Therefore comparing ourselves to others is not a valid comparison.

If my experience in life has generally been a good one and even in the worst moments I was supposed, cared for and after going through them came out a stronger person then it's not all that far fetched to think I would be a person who enjoys life and can get out of bed in the morning without too much trouble.

Yes everyone in the world faces problems and difficulties and yes there are many things that happen behind closed doors. But also there are some people in the world who has experienced a generally happy life. Something to think about.

Very good question, it's one I think about a lot.

One important thing that I think is generally overlooked is that each and every one of us has our own unique journey in life. No one on earth has ever lived the exact circumstances that you have gone though and no one ever will. Therefore comparing ourselves to others is not a valid comparison.

If my experience in life has generally been a good one and even in the worst moments I was supposed, cared for and after going through them came out a stronger person then it's not all that far fetched to think I would be a person who enjoys life and can get out of bed in the morning without too much trouble.

Yes everyone in the world faces problems and difficulties and yes there are many things that happen behind closed doors. But also there are some people in the world who has experienced a generally happy life. Something to think about.

SpaceAce, well said.

YES!

I was obsessed with how the people in my life who can allow things to roll off their shoulders do it. I complied advice and suggestions from a couple of these. I found it did not work for me in the end. They aren't me and simply not caring works if you actually just don't care.

It won't help if being teased for example upsets you from someone whose also teased but doesn't know it. I am not a misanthrope. I can't behave like one even if they carry that air of letting things roll off their shoulders.

What helps is perspective. Knowing oneself and also seeing through other peoples facades enough to know this:

1) People can be really good at hiding what is bothering them. For strangers at least don't judge yourself compared to them.

It doesn't hurt to take inspiration or hope from others that it is possible to let go of things, but if you can't it's okay. They probably have other baggage we don't want either. Said people I admired it turned out did not have my good points. Would I want to trade out? Probably not.

I am a nurse. I work with nurses who work 12 hour night shifts, go home to be up with their young kids all day, nap for a bit and then they're back for another night shift. Are you kidding me?!

No way. Even if I had no choice but to do this, to raise kids and to work, there would be no way I could. I'd seriously lose my mind.

I don't know how people do it. I am very much an introvert. Just going to the shopping mall (though I do love to shop) makes me so tired that I need to come home and take a nap. Add the introvert factor to the depression factor and I spend most my time in bed.

Maybe these people we see are all non-depressed extroverts, the ones who draw energy from others. That's my theory. :)

I'm not like anyone else I know. Sometimes it feels weird and sometimes it feels worse and sometimes I feel "superior" for feeling not like anyone else.

yeah I don't deny that sometimes I feel like I've awoken from 'the matrix' and everyone else is still sleeping in it. I don't know how else you can make sense of modern living.

What comes to mind is that saying that we shouldnt compare our insides with other peoples outsides. There is no way of knowing what people are really dealing with. Plenty of happy and well adjusted people out there but not always possible to tell who they are and definitely not from passing them in the street.

I am a bit fascinated by resiliency though and wish I didnt use it as another weapon against myself.

Of course you shouldn't judge people on the outside and assume to know their struggles. But if you take a cross-section, most people do make things work and live with some small measure of fulfillment in their lives. I guess I'm not willing to equate what everyone else is going through with depression. They at least feel highs.