Biotch About Your Job Here Thread

Elicia

So i work from home for a big named company that manufactures household appliances.

I basically take calls and schedule appointments for their appliances to be repaired. Most of the time the people aren't happy because they're having to pay for a service if their products aren't covered by warranty.

Today I got a call from a woman in New York, very thick ny'er accent... Very rude...

I've noticed people up north speak so fast and always in a hurry, most are very short with me. some are nice but im not exaggerating when I say 80% are very rude.

This one especially. She was mad that I didn't catch her phone number and asked her to repeats it, to which she loudly shouted in my ear " are you deaf?"

She basically rushed and belittled me thru the whole call, by the time i hung up i was a nervous wreck and just started crying.

I don't understand why people have to be so nasty to other people.

Anyways...feel free to Biotch about your job here.

I have to deal with local politicians a lot in my job. That means I'm dealing with big egos. It gets tiring.

I also have to take many nasty calls from angry customers. Some of the things they complain about are amazing...makes me realize how lousy their lives must be.

So i work from home for a big named company that manufactures household appliances.

I basically take calls and schedule appointments for their appliances to be repaired. Most of the time the people aren't happy because they're having to pay for a service if their products aren't covered by warranty.

Today I got a call from a woman in New York, very thick ny'er accent... Very rude...

I've noticed people up north speak so fast and always in a hurry, most are very short with me. some are nice but im not exaggerating when I say 80% are very rude.

This one especially. She was mad that I didn't catch her phone number and asked her to repeats it, to which she loudly shouted in my ear " are you deaf?"

She basically rushed and belittled me thru the whole call, by the time i hung up i was a nervous wreck and just started crying.

I don't understand why people have to be so nasty to other people.

Anyways...feel free to Biotch about your job here.

Having worked telephone based customer for a long time I know exactly what you mean about the whole "sensibility"; too many crammed into too small a space competing for too little opportunity. The dome of Madison Square Garden isn't an architectural structure, it's the top of Satan's head...

One of the popular pasttimes of the people of the northeast is berating strangers who are in a customer-facing role: "My spouse sucks, my kids suck, my neighbor is performing voodoo rituals in the backyard, and where THE **** ARE MY FFFFRRRRIIIIIEEEESSS!!!" Because when you get down to it, people are expendable in that place.

I too have had phone calls that left me literally shaking and gasping for air, face contorted into a demon. Working customer service is, by and large, a terrible thing for depressed individuals to endure. We tell ourselves it's nothing personal but how can you not take it that way when people are belittling you personally since they can't, y'know... waterboard a corporation?

Then again, I have to say, I envy anyone who doesn't have to deal with the drudgery of hauling their ass out of the house everyday and into a dingy office- I think that's 50% of it right there. My problem is dealing w/ office politics and rumors. Which, where I live in the Blueridge Mountains (the South) is what burns most people out. It's gotten bad enough lately that I'm back on wellbutrin and getting onto DF every night after work. I think here soon one of the "popular" clique is gonna pi** me off so bad I'm gonna puke out a stream of obscenities and personal insults, launch the microwave from the breakroom right through the front window and then walk out the door for good. Talk about needing the extended warranty! :tounge:

I'm one of those screaming nasty Biotches with the lousy life. If it makes you feel any better I often cry and always feel horrible about myself afterwards.

I do childcare for a family member. I feel very under-appreciated and completely unfulfilled, not to mention I make next to no money which also makes me feel horrible about myself.

I once had a job where I worked from home, 24 hours a week, full benefits, $25 an hour. Bam, outsourced. Gotta love the USA. Since then I've had nothing but crap jobs that make me feel worthless.

Edited by Razzamatazz

I'm one of those screaming nasty Biotches with the lousy life. If it makes you feel any better I often cry and always feel horrible about myself afterwards.

I do childcare for a family member. I feel very under-appreciated and completely unfulfilled, not to mention I make next to no money which also makes me feel horrible about myself.

I once had a job where I worked from home, 24 hours a week, full benefits, $25 an hour. Bam, outsourced. Gotta love the USA. Since then I've had nothing but crap jobs that make me feel worthless.

So have your flip outs mostly been since the time you lost the good job? Or was it a prior practice? I've often felt that most really rude and belligerent people on the phone are like icebergs: you only see a small part of the whole thing. Do you feel like you're correcting an injustice or are you so exasperated with life that it just comes out?

I just get so completely frustrated when things don't work right. Ironically, I have spent this entire evening on the phone with tech support people, so this is a great time to talk about this. I had to talk with people from two different companies because of the problem I was having, and ultimately my problem was not solved and both pieces of equipment are worse than they were when I started. This thread was on my mind the entire time.

I get frustrated really, really easily. This isn't something new, although I feel it's getting worse in the last year maybe. Sometimes when I'm in a store and I can't find what I'm looking for I feel like bursting into tears, which is completely ridiculous, and I never have actually done it, but that's how I feel.

The most frustrating things for me are 1) when they are clearly running down a list of trouble-shooting steps, and they are all things I've already done but they try to insist I do them anyway (such as restarting, etc.) 2) when I tell them something and they ask me the same thing right after it comes out of my mouth (me: The light flashed orange once and went out. her: okay, is there a light on?) 3) when they ask me things they already know (They have called up my records based on my phone number which I gave them. I know this because they have called me by name. Then she asks for the number from the back of the equipment. It's teeny tiny. I can't see it without unplugging it and taking it over to a bright light. She HAS the number. It's just an unnecessary step.

I just don't have patience with the process. I'm not making excuses. Just stating facts. It was enlightening for me to read this thread. I always think of these people as smarter than me, or at least that they feel they are. I never think of myself as having any kind of impact on anyone, negative or positive. I never feel like I matter that much. It makes me feel really bad to think the person on the other end might actually cry from talking to me.

I did express my anger and frustration to a few people along the way, but each time I said that I knew it was not their fault and I was just really frustrated, and I tried really hard to not raise my voice, although I know I did a few times.

I think it's the fact that I have no control. I have paid for this thing, and now it's not working. It should work. I shouldn't have to spend all this time on the phone. I want it to work. I don't want to have to deal with making it work when it should already be working. I am at their mercy to make it work.

It's true what they say though, that people who try to tear others down do it because they are miserable in their own lives. When I'm happy I don't yell at people.

I'm going to do better though. I don't want to make anyone cry. That's very not okay.

I work for a vehicle hire company in this really nothing admin position.

Basically, people pay to rent a vehicle and my job is to tick a box next to the transaction in the bank account to allocate that money off to the reservation.

i also stare at purchase orders which have a different amount to the invoice amount and ask people if it is okay to pay the difference. This is very very frustrating and boring as it involves a lot of waiting around for other people and i cant really do anything about it. The pay is bad and its just so mind numbing, plus my coworkers are very Biotchy. I also get handed all the really menial tasks that nobody else wants to do.

It makes me feel like a total failure that I am stuck there doing that.

My job is at home. It's not bad, but it's contract work and I can't negotiate the wages (been nearly 4 years at the same rate) and it's incredibly lonely at times because I don't have anyone to talk to (no co-workers) and it's basically 100% computer work all day. This type of work was really fun when I was extremely socially anxious 4 years ago and even though I still don't talk a lot, I do enjoy the company of having others around which is what I miss the most.

Edited by zenzang

I just get so completely frustrated when things don't work right. Ironically, I have spent this entire evening on the phone with tech support people, so this is a great time to talk about this. I had to talk with people from two different companies because of the problem I was having, and ultimately my problem was not solved and both pieces of equipment are worse than they were when I started. This thread was on my mind the entire time.

I get frustrated really, really easily. This isn't something new, although I feel it's getting worse in the last year maybe. Sometimes when I'm in a store and I can't find what I'm looking for I feel like bursting into tears, which is completely ridiculous, and I never have actually done it, but that's how I feel.

The most frustrating things for me are 1) when they are clearly running down a list of trouble-shooting steps, and they are all things I've already done but they try to insist I do them anyway (such as restarting, etc.) 2) when I tell them something and they ask me the same thing right after it comes out of my mouth (me: The light flashed orange once and went out. her: okay, is there a light on?) 3) when they ask me things they already know (They have called up my records based on my phone number which I gave them. I know this because they have called me by name. Then she asks for the number from the back of the equipment. It's teeny tiny. I can't see it without unplugging it and taking it over to a bright light. She HAS the number. It's just an unnecessary step.

I just don't have patience with the process. I'm not making excuses. Just stating facts. It was enlightening for me to read this thread. I always think of these people as smarter than me, or at least that they feel they are. I never think of myself as having any kind of impact on anyone, negative or positive. I never feel like I matter that much. It makes me feel really bad to think the person on the other end might actually cry from talking to me.

I did express my anger and frustration to a few people along the way, but each time I said that I knew it was not their fault and I was just really frustrated, and I tried really hard to not raise my voice, although I know I did a few times.

I think it's the fact that I have no control. I have paid for this thing, and now it's not working. It should work. I shouldn't have to spend all this time on the phone. I want it to work. I don't want to have to deal with making it work when it should already be working. I am at their mercy to make it work.

It's true what they say though, that people who try to tear others down do it because they are miserable in their own lives. When I'm happy I don't yell at people.

I'm going to do better though. I don't want to make anyone cry. That's very not okay.

Oh Razz, I want to give you a hug and Lorna Dune! If I'm understanding correctly, you feel disempowered by the failure to get the thing (whatever IT is) working in the first place but also that these people are supposed to be more astute on these matters. Do you feel that when they start the whole "Is the cartridge reload tray in the up position?" types of questions that they are effectively mocking you? B/C I could see where you might feel that way.

It struck me when you said "I am at their mercy to make it work." It sounds like maybe you feel frustrated w/ yourself that you have been unable to resolve the issue independently, but also patronized in front the customer service rep so all this bile comes out. Am I right?

But I want to let you know I'm so proud of you that you took the huge step forward of separating the issue from the representative by telling them "I know it's not you!" That helps so, so much. Cuz when you get down to it, if you're working customer service/tech support there's a very high probability you are depressed and retaining a little shred of dignity makes such a huge difference; if you're kind most of us in support will be happy to hand-hold you through the process.

Want a cookie? :Coopwink:lorna.jpg?itok=ppA50mfN They're my favorite.

Just reading this brings back memories of my job. I have been off work not for seven months. After ten years at the same job and failed promises from management, the union, and clients I could not handle it anymore. I was a driver who picked up medical specimens and delivered it to a central lab. People never had their packages ready when I arrived as per the schedule. They thought I was a bully for not accepting their laziness and incompetence.

Oh Razz, I want to give you a hug and Lorna Dune! If I'm understanding correctly, you feel disempowered by the failure to get the thing (whatever IT is) working in the first place but also that these people are supposed to be more astute on these matters. Do you feel that when they start the whole "Is the cartridge reload tray in the up position?" types of questions that they are effectively mocking you? B/C I could see where you might feel that way.

It struck me when you said "I am at their mercy to make it work." It sounds like maybe you feel frustrated w/ yourself that you have been unable to resolve the issue independently, but also patronized in front the customer service rep so all this bile comes out. Am I right?

But I want to let you know I'm so proud of you that you took the huge step forward of separating the issue from the representative by telling them "I know it's not you!" That helps so, so much. Cuz when you get down to it, if you're working customer service/tech support there's a very high probability you are depressed and retaining a little shred of dignity makes such a huge difference; if you're kind most of us in support will be happy to hand-hold you through the process.

Want a cookie? :Coopwink:lorna.jpg?itok=ppA50mfN They're my favorite.

I understand that tech support people talk to all kinds of people, some not so bright, but I wish they would begin with the assumption that people are of at least normal intelligence then adapt their spiel as they go along based on the response instead of assuming everyone who calls has an IQ of 40. Those calls drone on and on and part of the reason for that is the assumption we're all so stupid that they have to spell everything out for us.

On these recent calls I spoke with one man who asked if I put the password in (of course I did) did I do it right (yes, I did it right), you know if it's small letters you have to use small letters, and capitals have to be capitals (I've probably been using a computer for longer than you've been alive you twit, stop talking to me like I'm an *****), and a lady who was clearly reading from a script in the first place so probably actually knows nothing about the product herself telling me to type in "i as in India, p as in paul, c as in....blah blah blah" until she gets to the end and we've typed ipconfig which is pretty routine so why not just say, "type ipconfig," and spell it if you must, but let's not be ridiculous about it. I resent being treated like I'm stupid. That's a big big deal for me, people thinking I'm stupid, because I'm not, and as soon as someone starts treating me like that it's over.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to work in Tech support sometimes, and let me tell you...it's no picnic.

First of all the company I work for just gives you a couple hours of training over the computer with modules. You're basically learning as you go when you're talking to someone over the phone. At least that's how the company I work for does it.

Everything is scripted, we are basically asking you questions it's telling us to ask you, and if we don't ask them in the exact specific way it's read then we can't go to the next step. Plus everything is recorded and if the supervisors hear you not reading and asking ur scripts then you get into trouble.

It's really stressful!

Especially when the other person on the end of the phone is getting mad at you because they are frustrated as well!

It is a difficult job, I commend your dedication! You are at the front lines, and that is no easy task.

It sounds like your management is not supportive and rigid...Is there a co-worker that can relate to the situation?

Sometimes it can help if you feel that you are not the only one dealing with the pressure.

Let us know how you are doing... :thumbs-up:

Elicia, sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time at work. Hopefully you can find something better such as self employment.

I have been looking at working for myself for a long time now so I may go for it as I recover from my depression. I like the stock market and I figure if I can make two to three thousand dollars a month working from home I will be happier that going to a conventional job.

It is a difficult job, I commend your dedication! You are at the front lines, and that is no easy task.

It sounds like your management is not supportive and rigid...Is there a co-worker that can relate to the situation?

Sometimes it can help if you feel that you are not the only one dealing with the pressure.

Let us know how you are doing... :thumbs-up:

I don't know any of my coworkers as I work from home. I've never met anyone for the company I work for.

The only means of communication I have with my coworkers is a chatroom, but the chatrooms are only meant to be used for support.

Thank you for your kind words :)

Geez leweez, Elicia! Your job would make me a nervous wreck! Sorry, I would quote you, but the quote function isn't working for me for some reason.

I get nervous when a supervisor comes over to my bay to ask how the job is coming along, I can only imagine having him watching me the whole time.

I'm a mechanic for the Public Works department of my hometown. And the job really is a mixed bag. It's taught me a lot of different things about cars, and I've gotten some certifications that look good on paper and a CDL, but the job can also be stressful sometimes. I've had a few major screw-ups in the past month and my confidence in the workplace is really shaky these days. I'm planning on an escape route, but I'm stuck here for at least the next year.

I am a nurse.

Suffice it to say there are a lot of takers in this world. Just remember, the way you treat your nurse goes a long way. We are not your servants, we are not there to B dumped on or to listen to all of your problems. We are here to help, but only I you want to help yourselves. Don't get me wrong, there are rewarding moments, but for the most part, it is a thankless job. Treat your nurse well, and she/ he will return that to you tenfold. And please don't ask us to just bring your pain medicine in 'when its time' and wake you up to take it. Won't happen. And definitely don't set the alarm on your cell phone to wake you up to ask for it. Big no-no. Believe me we notice these things. We are not a pain management clinic.

Glad I got that off my chest. Bedside nursing can suck the life out of you I you let it! Feels good to vent.....

On the up side, I have crazy job security!

Bootstraps

I used shovel pig and cow crap for a living...along with mending barbed wire fences, fixing frozen water pumps in cattle water tanks when it's 15 below zero out, Throwing 50-lbs bales of hay around in the loft of the barn when it's 95 degrees and no breeze...yes, I was a farmer!

As I mentioned above, I have to deal with huge egos and really p!ssed off people a lot. I also have to report directly to the general manager, who marches in to my area with no warning and starts asking me questions to test if I know stuff.

I dread going to work. There are many days I wish I could go back to my backbreaking days of farming, even at my age. But this current job is reasonably secure and has decent benefits. I'm also wearing the "golden handcuffs" when it come to retirement (probably ten years off, minimum--when I'm 65).

Work is a demonic plot, I think.

I work in a customer service based job as well and we get nasty customers in too. For me, it's not even always what they are saying but how they are saying it that bothers me. I don't like it when people talk to others like they are crazy. Especially when they know they are in a position of power as the customer, and there's not much we as the workers can say and we are all expected to keep our calm.

Other things at work that set me off are the little petty things people I work with do. For example, it's common courtesy that the person closest to the customer ask them how they are doing and what can you help them with. It irks me SO MUCH, when the coworker closest to a new walk-in doesn't even acknowledge that person's presence. Really? Come on. Then the customer starts looking at all of us with disdain.

I am a nurse.

Suffice it to say there are a lot of takers in this world. Just remember, the way you treat your nurse goes a long way. We are not your servants, we are not there to B dumped on or to listen to all of your problems. We are here to help, but only I you want to help yourselves. Don't get me wrong, there are rewarding moments, but for the most part, it is a thankless job. Treat your nurse well, and she/ he will return that to you tenfold. And please don't ask us to just bring your pain medicine in 'when its time' and wake you up to take it. Won't happen. And definitely don't set the alarm on your cell phone to wake you up to ask for it. Big no-no. Believe me we notice these things. We are not a pain management clinic.

Glad I got that off my chest. Bedside nursing can suck the life out of you I you let it! Feels good to vent.....

On the up side, I have crazy job security!

Bootstraps

I can defintely see a nurses job being stressful! You guys do so much! Some people can be very inconsiderate and like you said, treat you guys as servants/maids rather than medical helpers.

Luckily when i was in the hospital for my c-sections and appendix, the nurses i had were such sweet and caring people. I really have a lot of respect for anyone in the medical field.

Thanks for everything you do!

I, too am a nurse(22 years) and the changes in healthcare I have witnessed in my career, I could not have fathomed in the beginning. I was naive, granted, but since the take over by "big business" the emphasis is even less now on the patient and more and more the almighty dollar. Older nurses are devalued, marginalized and passed over and benefits are whittled away more and more every year. Respect? you're kidding, right? Midnight shifts? Holidays? Weekends?-yup, yup and yup Senior management's position is, "Quit then and we'll hire in some new graduate with no clinical experience at considerably less than we pay you" I would love, love, love to get out of the profession that has stolen my soul but being almost fifty, who's going to hire me? What else would I do? Where else can I make comparable money? It makes me want to sit down and cry but I've done that so many times before!

Edited by morelostthanfound