Depression Coming Back Again

Elicia

So I was on lexapro for 3 months and feeling great. My depression was going, was able to function and do my tasks, was meeting new friends and doing more social things.

I had to stop though because lexapro was making me gain weight at a rapid pace. Soon after i stopped with lexapro i was able to lose the weight I gained, so that was good. The thing is though my depression is almost fully back :(

Im having crying spells again, feelings of worthlessness, mood swings, suicidal thoughts, worrying, lack of motivation, fatigue... List goes on.

My anxiety hasn't come back yet, which is good. I haven't had a panic attack in months now.

I don't know what to do.. I know most SSRIs make you gain weight and I feel like nothing will be as effective as lexapro was for my depression, as most of the SSRIs i have read about have even worse side effects and aren't as effective as Lexapro from the reviews i have read. I know everyone is different...

I feel lost in hope right now. I can either be happy and fat, or depressed and skinny.

Edited by SufferInSilence

Elicia,

So sorry depression is returning! I am glad you have not had any panic attacks.

I tried the lexapro thing, and eventually got off of it. It made me tired and I did gain weight. I slept a lot, but my sleep quality was not good - vivid scary dreams.

There are a lot of other meds out there, and some people eventually find the right combination that works for them. I think it is a good clue that lexapro did help your depression - that could lead a doctor to another med that could help in a similar way but without the weight gain. Just my guess. Or maybe a combination of meds that fight the weight gain symptoms of the lexapro.

If it is any help, I take xanax as needed for the anxiety, and deal with the depression via help with my therapist - lots of coping techniques. It is far from perfect, but I am surviving.

Please keep trying - i think that is key, eventually you will find something that works for you.

Sending kind thoughts your way, jmg :flowers:

Sounds so familiar...4 years ago I was so depressed I couldn't eat and I lost 40 lbs. in 2 months (on top of the 30 I'd lost trying)...I actually looked like crap. After a brief hospitalization, it was determined that nothing was physically wrong with me, that I was suffering from depression and anxiety. I was put on mirtazipine specifically for it's appetite-enhancing qualities.

I've long since regained all the weight I lost (and then some) and while my depression is still a daily battle, I'm in a much better place than I was 4 years ago. As I tell my son, I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and depressed. But it doesn't have to be one or the other, I've put on a little extra because of the weather and holidays but during the spring, summer and fall, I walk...a lot! I have 2 dogs and 3 cats (the cats love to ride in a pet stroller) and live in a beautiful small town with lots of trails and parks and I can keep it under control a little better. I even invested in a black Friday sale and got one of those fitness bracelets so I can track how much I walk when I start again...and when I figure out how to use the darn thing!

I haven't been back to the forum in a while but with the weather and my sedentary lifestyle of late, I've been a little more down than usual so I came here hoping for a pick me up. It has helped, but what I really need to do is stop being a wus, bundle up and get out and walk despite the weather!

Hopefully you can find a happy medium between medication and weight gain. Don't give up, there are some meds out there that don't come with that side effect. And if you can, try to exercise a little more, eat a little healthier and drink lots of water. Vitamins have helped me to, do a little research on vitamins and supplements that help with depression. With the gloomy weather, I've been doubling up on the D! Good luck!

Jmg - Thanks for your kind thoughts. I also had the vivid dreams & nitemares. I have to say though I'd much rather put up with those than the depression though. It's weird because I hear a lot of people experiencing fatigue and sleeping more on lexapro, but for me it was the opposite. I was actually sleeping on a nice schedule and had some structure. I was never tired feeling on Lexapro, not like I am now -sighs-

I also take xanax aswell but only when needed and since its for anxiety I haven't needed it in awhile. Im going to see my psychiatrist next week but im really not very happy with her...shes young and i get the feeling she's mostly guessing at things because of her confused look on her face when she's asking me questions..lol

Idk.. Im just not getting a good vibe from her but it takes so long to get into see a new psychiatrist, as they are always booked for months! Grr

Taysmom - Thanks for your response and sharing your story. I've been trying to eat healthier and exercise, i was actually eating pretty healthy (though I did have my bad days), and exercising regularly when i was taking lexapro but that didn't seem to help. I think it slowed my metabolism down and I wasn't able to burn anything i took in.

Luckily it's still warm here where i live, so im outside walking a lot. Who knows how long the weather will last though.