I just signed up and for the past hour have been looking over the posts. I am so glad there is a place like this for us. I am a 43 year old woman with a husband and two sons that are 18, 17. My kids are the only thing that keeps me going. There are time, which are more frequent than not that I have severe depression. And just when I think I can't take it anymore I end up thinking of my children and asking myself what their reaction would be if I wasn't here. And that basically keeps me living day to day, year to year. I can't afford therapy and my regular doctor won't prescribe any meds for me so I live with this constant drowning feeling all the time. Its horrible, sometimes it hurts too. I don't know what to do.

Hi Mleb43!

I'm a 49-year-old single mom and know just what it's like to feel like you're only going on for the sake of your children. My son almost lost me when he was 7 from an illness and I won't do that to him again! It's sad for you that you have to live like this without being happy. Are there any organizations in your area where you can seek behavioral health help for free or on a sliding scale? Ask your doctor about that, it's the least he can do if he won't help (which doesn't say much for his hippocratic oath in my opinion). 4 years ago I was drowning...today, not so much! It wasn't a, wake up and HEY, I'M CURED, type of thing, it was a gradual, slow process with both medication, therapy and just finding something, ANYTHING to focus on (I love to refinish old furniture, make jewelry, walk my dogs and cats, yes cats, they have a stroller) and basically force yourself out of bed some days even though it hurts. Search the internet, there are some herbal supplements and vitamins that can help some people too (in addition to my prescriptions, I also take L-theanine, NAC, valerian root to help me sleep, and a butt load of vitamins (folic acid is a good one for women).

I hope that you can find someone out there who will help. And I hope you will find as much support and therapy right here as I have over the past few years. I look forward to seeing you around!

Edited by taysmom1016