Telling Therapist About Suicide

all121

I've been seeing a psychologist for a few weeks now and it's going all right. I told him about some of the suicidal ideation I've had. The problem is, it seems to be getting worse. For the most part it's been "I don't want to blow my brains out, but if I didn't wake up tomorrow that would be pretty cool." But now it's become more like, "I don't think I should **** myself, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I did since I keep waking up everyday." I'm not sure whether to tell my psychologist about it or not. I don't want him to try to send me to an inpatient hospital or anything, but I also don't think it's a good idea to let these thoughts just marinate. Thanks for reading. Any advice will be appreciated.

I've told mine many times and never put in hospital because of that. Only when I did try that they put me in hospital (quite a few times now). I don't think they put people in hospital just for talking about it but you can always ask your therapist before you actually tell him, like, what would you do if I said X, etc.

From what I understand, it's very difficult to commit someone to the hospital involuntarily nowadays. I know it's hard, but our therapists are there to listen to us, even the difficult things like wanting to commit suicide.

The key with this is, do you feel that you're in imminent danger? Or would your therapist think you are when you tell them?

They want to protect us. If you tell them that you have a plan and intend to follow through with it, they'll either as you to go to the hospital or call themselves. It's better if you go yourself. If they have to call it may involve the police.

I've never been admitted myself but I can very close a couple of weeks ago.

Hand in there. I know it's hard.

When I still had a therapist, I told him I was going to do it at a set date unless a certain thing happened. So, he helped me accomplish my goal instead of sending me to the hospital. I guess it really depends on your doctor and how well they know you.

I think you should trust your therapist. like SFChristianGirl said above, it's not that easy to put you into an hospital even if he wanted to.

If he is a good therapist he should offer you to call him anytime you feel really down, specially with suicide thoughts. I think that's the right approach.

Besides that, going to an hospital emergency room is a good option if you have serious thoughts about suicide

I did medical transcription for a hospital emergency room for a few years and if they felt someone was a danger to themselves or others they called a judge and got the patient put on a 72 hour hold.

Having said that, when I was in therapy I would have been completely comfortable saying '"I don't think I should **** myself, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I did since I keep waking up everyday."' to my therapist without fear that he would try to have me committed. Unless I was out of control, ranting, screaming, sobbing, threatening imminent suicide and he was truly in fear for my life, I would not think he would ever do that.

It would be much more productive to help you work through it. As someone else said though, it probably will depend on the therapist and if you feel you can trust him or not.

I've never been admitted, but if it comes down to it, it would be for the best. I wouldn't agree to it willingly though, so I understand your fear.

They are professionals and should have all the information to help you make informed decisions. Unless you feel your psychologist is incompetent or doesn't have your best interest at heart, then I'd divulge fully and let the chips fall where they may.

Best wishes.