Sign in to follow this  
cutepuppies

The Roller-Coaster

Hey guys,

So I've been diagnosed with depression for 3 months now. It started out as extreme anger, then changed to anxiety, then changed to sadness, then changed back to occasional anxiety attacks. I can go days feeling "normal", then something happens, and BOOM! I go downhill for a few hours until the meds kick in. Here lately it's been extreme feelings of stress that hit me light a train and leaving me curled up on the couch feeling completely overwhelmed and anxious. It's always saddening because I went for days with no problems and thought I was getting better, when in truth, it was just hiding.

Do any of you have days of feeling great and thinking everything is okay, then turn into a stress ball in just a matter of minutes? How do you cope with the extreme change in moods? How do you cope from feeling okay to then being reminded that you really aren't okay?

Thanks,

Cutepuppies

I'd suggest learning some breathing techniques for starters, as a way to control the anxiety. After that it's really a matter of controlling your thoughts.

I often have sudden mood changes (I always have) and I've learned to remind myself that it's all in my head. That doesn't change the feelings I'm having, but it reduces my tendency to validate those feelings with thoughts.

Feelings and thoughts are connected in a weird way. Sometimes thoughts cause feelings. Then sometimes we feel certain ways (especially when we're clinically depressed) without identifiable causes. When that happens we have a tendency to align our thoughts with the way we're feeling, perpetuating the feeling and locking ourselves in a cycle.

Both good and bad feelings are cyclic. When we're feeling happy, we tend to think happy, and act happily and attract happiness. The same thing happens when we're feeling bad, except everything's negative.

So, my suggestion is that you continually remind yourself that the negative feelings aren't real--they're not you. Find ways to occupy yourself, to take your mind off of your feelings. And work on controlling your thoughts. Then it becomes a matter of waiting for a chemical change in your brain. Whereas if you don't control your thoughts, that negative feeling can go on for days.

I hope that helps. Hang in there!

Hi Cutepuppies,

I experience something very similar to what you describe so well. Something I learned from a psychologist helps me but I don't know whether it would be helpful to your or others. So I won't call it advice. We are all so different that advice is really difficult to give. Sorry.

Anyway . . . I think of my brain as though it was a small child in my care. Whatever it does, I try to be understanding and compassionate, encouraging and consoling. I try to think of this as love without strings attached or love without needing a reward. I tell my brain [so to speak] that I love it. And I do this when it is going through good times and bad times. Especially during bad times, I try to be loving towards it.

I figure that my little three pound brain is there for me 24/7, keeping me and the 30,000,000,000,000 or so cells in my body healthy. I try to never "mentally beat it up" with unnecessary stress about the future, or guilt, shame or sadness about the past. I know my brain is small and is not an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful and all-perfect being. I think it does the best it can for me, even when it is sick. I also figure that it never wakes up in the morning and says: "today I am going to make a HUGE mistake." This helps me a lot. Sometimes if I am in a really bad place mentally I just whisper to my brain over and over again: "I love you." Sometimes it does get stuck in negative feedback loops or gets scared and panicky. I just try to always be on its side.

Wish you all the best. Depression is terribly rough!

Edited by Epictetus