Sign in to follow this  

Hey guys,

I'm having problems with my university homework in Chemistry. Chemistry is not my best subject. I find it really hard to start doing the chapter's homework because I have this overwhelming anxiety and I'm scared that I'm going to see the questions and have no idea how to do them. I get a tightness in my chest, then start thinking, "omg I can't do this, omg, I don't understand the material, omg, I'm going to fail the class! My GPA will drop and I will lose all my scholarships and end up back at home!" :shocked: So making the anxiety worse, I just avoid the homework and online quizzes until the last minute. I always work though the problems and have way to seek help with them when I need to. But I can't shake this overwhelming feeling that I'm going to fail before I even start.

Do any of you have a similar feelings and what do you do to cope?

Thanks,

Cutepuppies

I struggled doing homework in college. It was a pain and chore and sometimes just impossible.

One thing that might help is to set up a study group. If you always do the homework with the same people, then instead of omg I'm going to do homework, it's all good, I'm just going to go hang with some friends for a while. All right, it's not going to be all good, but it helps. Plus there is the bonus effect of having people around to ask questions. Of course, as I write this I realize why I never did it myself since I never had friends and have poor social skills. However, the one class where I was invited by someone else to study with, and I was able to actually say yes to, I did very well in.

Something else with a similar effect is to always do the homework at the same time and place. It can be helpful if you only go to that place to do homework, like the back of the second floor of the library. Or wherever. I had different spots for different classes, and not every class or subject needed it's own spot, just some of them that I couldn't do otherwise. To start with your just going for a walk. and then you end up in your chemistry homework spot, so you do chemistry homework. If there is a TA for the class and they have office hours, it can also be helpful to pick a spot near them, so then they can explain stuff as needed without you just giving up. But again, for me it was difficult to ask for help, so my spots were usually pretty secluded. I wrote ever paper in a computer lab in the admin building, even though I couldn't print them out there without paying extra. I was able to print for free in my departments computer labs, but I only really did my major class work there, and a couple "fun" classes that didn't stress me out.

Anyway, something to consider. I hope you are able to do well.

Good luck and stay safe.

Thank you, that actually may help. I always do my trig homework in the math tutoring lab even if I don't need help. I also always do it at a certain time because I love routines and it makes me confortable. I'll see what I can do about finding a good place to always go at a certain time.

Thanks Caelum!