Sign in to follow this  
captain_gauche

Living With The Enemy

I've kept a journal for many years, at times I write often, sometimes not. It helps to go back n read, it tells me my state of mind at that time. It's comical, sad, depressing but always helpful what I read. I've started to write a book many times but I think I'll just leave it for the family to some day read

Captain,

I think it's great that you're trying out ways that may help you understand yourself better. Way to go!

For an assignment, my therapist told me to keep a journal of your feelings and things that go on. However, at that time, it was difficult to write about stuff that had happened that day because I was so upset about it. My therapist decided that we wouldn't do that again so I wouldn't have to relive the feelings again when I wrote down things that happened during the day.

For some people with depression, writing helps them. For others like me, writing just brings up emotions again for a second time. If writing makes you feel better, go for it! If not, then maybe look into other options such as volunteering, listening to music, or exercising.

Warm wishes,

Cutepuppies

I've used journal writing for many years. I've recently discovered art therapy. I greatly enjoy it and it helps me tremendously in expressing my thoughts and purging emotions that I can't get out in words. It has also helped me recall repressed memories, but I haven't decided if that is a good or bad thing! Many people keep art therapy books.