Existential Crisis

advayd

I'm a senior grad student. After years of toiling away in the lab with little luck and an uncertain future, I feel burnt out. I am training to become an independent scientist but my lack of any significant achievement and the overwhelming stress, not to mention the dwindling job market, has made me realize I can't become what I have been training for. This also makes not want to become what I'm training for. There are other less lucrative careers but it won't feel the same to pursue any of those careers.

Of late I have been wondering what the point to all of this life really is. I didn't miss life before I was born and I will not miss it when I am dead. I have had it and just want to sleep. Has anyone else felt that way?

Yeah I know the feeling all to well. I don't think it's "existential depression" though, more like situational. You know what the problem is, it just leaves you in a void of purposelessness; the existential void. I don't have a solution yet. All I know is I want to solve it

Unfortunately, there is literally no answer to the existential void. Having gone through the worst of existentialism, I can safely tell you that there is no answer to be found.

We are here for an unknown reason- and we must make the most of it. We live in a world of chaos, injustice, strife- that's just how it is. Although, there is good to be found here- at least for some people, anyway.

So ultimately, we need to solve how to live our lives. Make the right life, for US, and do our best to make the right life decisions- trying to help whoever we can along the way. Because after that- the rest is up to fate.

I'm going through it now and it is scary :( I wish I had an answer to give you. It isn't a fun way to feel. Do you still have passion for being a scientist? Like any at all?

I like it when I make new discoveries. I like it whenever I think about my work being published. But these are such rare moments, at least for me, that I wonder if it is really worth it. I have considered being something like a career post-doc, but that too can be miserable. It is not as stressful as being a PI, but just as uncertain. I'm tired of the uncertainty. So as of now, I am losing my passion for being a scientist gradually. That makes me even more depressed. I worry what my peers, friends and family will think. I worry about how happy I will be if I leave science. Most of all, it is going to hurt like hell knowing that I couldn't prove myself. That is the worst part, I think.

Oh, I see. That is too bad. I hope you don't end up like me. I just lost all my passion all together. Just starting again to feel somewhat interested in design but I have so much else on my plate that I can barely fit career aspirations on it and lost the ability to have joy. I guess if you left science, would you have another passion? It seems like you know a lot about the subject and at least had a plan and dream. I wish I had an answer but I don't sadly. I bet that is tough feeling that way. You obviously care about doing well and making something of yourself but are in a rut. I would be surprised if I ever made a discovery. I used to really love analyzing the world and creating theories and solutions for things. Had a knack for knowing why things worked the way they do. It takes a lot to always constantly think of something knew. Pressure from friend and family makes things a whole lot worse. I think we need to forget what they think of what we do and how we struggle with things. They aren't us and never will be and sometimes people just need to hold their opinions in.