Sign in to follow this  
iamnumb

Medication For Anhedonia

This thread is to talk about any pharmacological treatment for anhedonia. Whether you have heard of something or you tried something, we want to hear your opinion/experience!

Personally, my experience with medication is not really positive. In fact, my anhedonia was mainly caused by the ssri paxil. I do like the drug moclobemide tho. I take it in low dose only, 150mg. I find I don't like higher doses as it makes me feel a bit drugged and a bit zombie like and have trouble sleeping. 150mg gives a nice natural boost to mood and energy. It does almost nothing for anhedonia/no emotions tho.

I also like to cycle it because I don't like to be on something all the time. You just tend to build tolerance to anything you take. I find moclobemide is a nice subtle drug to help against the dark winter depression I get every year too.

The only thing that triggered my emotions again was a cocktail of Moclobemide & residual prozac in my blood.

It's risky. but, i do it occasionally when i really want to experience something.

I mentioned this in the other thread. I take prozac 20MG for 1 week. stop. it stays in my blood for up to 2 weeks due to its long half life.

Around 1 week after stopping, i take 150mg of Moclobemide. That day, i'll have full emotions, and i watch movies / shows / music, and get chills, and great feeling from being immersed in the movie.

Unfortunately it is a short lived effect.

I haven't taken Moclobemide for a long period of time, but i will try it again if NSI-189 does not work.

Wow, it seems like I am seeing people posting about moclobemide (aka manerix/aurorix) everywhere. When I started taking just over a year ago I couldn't find many other people taking it.

I'm on 600mg (well I was until a few days ago). It was never a cure for depression but I did feel for a long while it was doing something (improved energy, motivation, etc), but these last couple of months I have slipped into a deeper depression and experienced significant lack of enjoyment/pleasure and motivation for anything. So basically anhedonia I think, although not officially diagnosed.

In the past I found SSRI/SNRI medications actually caused anhedonia and emotional blunting, so I have stopped the moclobemide to see if it is the cause of the emotional numbness. No improvement yet.

I have read about all sorts of medications for anhedonia: wellbutrin, abilify, nardil, parnate, stimulant type ADHD meds. I need to speak to my doctor about trying one of those soon.

ive tried welbutrin, provigil, abilify and several adhd stimulant meds and they do activate certain parts of your brain it seems, maybe boosted motivation and energy for a bit but they did nothing to help anhedonia..they did nothing for helping me feel emotions..no legal medication has ever helped in the 'emotions' department..

50mg of Seroquel has put me at a functional level (50%+...I've been steady at 10% for at least 2+ years, so big difference). Anything above 50mg's though and I'm back to the same type of symptoms. I have no idea why something like Seroquel would work though all I know is that it's helping some.

Edited by james555

Quitiapine also lifted my Anhedonic state. Along with finding new friends/ activities: check out Meetup.com

Hope this will help some people here?

My Story

Lat year I was diagnosed with Major clinical depression and suffered greatly with the usual effects such as loss of interest in life, the motivation to do look after myself, extreme mental pain every day, anxiety, feeling lonely.etc. Over the period of about eight months, I tried three or four different Antidepressants which did nothing for me.
It wasn't until I was admitted to hospital that I eventually found the help I needed. The physchriatric consultant their prescribed me Venalafaxine 225 mg ( an antidepressant ) and a few weeks later additionally Quitiapine. my highest dose being 200 mg per day.
After a few days on the Quitiapine, I began to feel better, the intense mental pain and anxiety which caused me so much suffering went away, my motivation and optimism for life began to rapidly return - within two weeks.
After a couple of months, I was able to return to work and felt almost my normal self.
I am strongly thinking that Quitiapine alone ( which can be used to treat depression). Could be the answer for many people with Major depression & Anxiety
Also, I joined some social group's via a website called " Meet up" which helped me greatly, made some new friends.
I sincerely hope this will be of use to some people who are going through what I went through.
Best Regards,
Ian

Quitiapine also lifted my Anhedonic state. Along with finding new friends/ activities: check out Meetup.com

Hope this will help some people here?

My Story

Lat year I was diagnosed with Major clinical depression and suffered greatly with the usual effects such as loss of interest in life, the motivation to do look after myself, extreme mental pain every day, anxiety, feeling lonely.etc. Over the period of about eight months, I tried three or four different Antidepressants which did nothing for me.
It wasn't until I was admitted to hospital that I eventually found the help I needed. The physchriatric consultant their prescribed me Venalafaxine 225 mg ( an antidepressant ) and a few weeks later additionally Quitiapine. my highest dose being 200 mg per day.
After a few days on the Quitiapine, I began to feel better, the intense mental pain and anxiety which caused me so much suffering went away, my motivation and optimism for life began to rapidly return - within two weeks.
After a couple of months, I was able to return to work and felt almost my normal self.
I am strongly thinking that Quitiapine alone ( which can be used to treat depression). Could be the answer for many people with Major depression & Anxiety
Also, I joined some social group's via a website called " Meet up" which helped me greatly, made some new friends.
I sincerely hope this will be of use to some people who are going through what I went through.
Best Regards,
Ian

So glad you are feeling better Ian! I do like the Meetup site as well. I will say though, as no expert, that I think Venlafaxine is much like the other SSRIS and SNRIs - can help a great number of people and do absolutely nothing for another great number people. I think it all comes down to everyone's personal chemistry. It's great you found something you are responding to.

- Christina

Seeing as this is the Anhedonia/Medication thread I thought I would mention a mistake I've been making. Don't make a dumb move like me and break split/crush your XR's. I now realize that even though I was getting benefits from it and it was mostly keeping me above the 50% mark, it wasn't consistent enough. Now that I"m on a proper dose (as of 3 or 4 days ago) of the "real thing" (Seroquel XR 50mg) I'm consistent 24/7. Besides Wellbutrin my psych say there's NOTHING else he can prescribe me that doesn't work on Serotonin so, I'll just stick with Seroquel XR and use my deep breathing sessions and some exercise to try and get me there. This is the definitely the med for me, my depression fades because of it and there's nothing else doing it, I"m sure of that now.....ready to move on and get back to what I was doing before all this B.S. started....LOL....but again, don't make a dumb move and split crush your fancy time-release meds or they will "act up" on you. :)

Edited by james555

adderall helped me most unfortunatley I dont have a script but am pretty sure I will be getting one next visit

selank a russian peptide has been studied to treat anhedonia I like it its a mild anti-anxiety I combine it with selank

unfortunately I still have bad depression and really want to get over it

the only thing that help are recreational I just cant handle the addiction and the depression that comes with it

Ok, I feel like a fool but I have good news too. The good news is only a "maybe" until at least 2 months of improvement. Bad news is that the Seroquel stopped working for me shortly after my last post here. I don't know what happened it just stopped working. So I am VERY hesitant to say that something is working from here on out until I have had a good 3 months of steady improvement. Good news is that Abilify at 5mg and Wellbutrin at 300mg is helping the anhedonia some, this is not my imagination or placebo affect, something is working. It's enough to get me going is all I can say right now. I'll "report back" in 3 months and see if there's been improvement or if this is just another fluke. I have hope though...and I sure as Hell need it. LOL

Edited by james555

Hi i am new to this forum thing. I have been on antidepressants for years and recently have been off work. I take Cymbalta and it has been working at keeping my depression at bay but i still have no interest in anything. I take adderall as i would well and if i did not have a stressful job. I would be okay. I think. If i miss the Cymbalta one day I fall apart.

I took Wellbutrin once and it sent me into a manic state. I have tried abilify but it has not worked for me, it just didn't do anything.

I see a therapist and that is helping to work on some issues.

I am so discouraged though because I have been at this for years ... probably 15 to 20 years. My life is just mostly downs, very little ups.

This the first time i heard of this word, anhedonia. I guess that seems odd since i have been seeing doctors about my depression for years. I will look it up some more on the web.

I heard a medicine called clozapine helped with the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, 2 of which happen to be flat affect and a loss of pleasure. Might be interesting.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Clozapine%22+%22Negative+symptoms%22&oq=%22Clozapine%22+%22Negative+symptoms%22&gs_l=serp.3..0i7i30l3j0i30l2.52930.55036.0.55595.9.8.0.0.0.2.135.641.5j2.7.0.msedr...0...1c.1.64.serp..4.5.402.jRFCDiIO-uQ

Edited by Racecarlock

I've had anhedonia for as long as I can remember, can't really say it has been induced by any medication since I have not been on any. I tried Wellbutrin to try treating the Anhedonia itself but after being on it for months it really didn't help and just gave it up. i'm interested in trying out nsi-189 but what i've found thus far is a white powder by some retailers online but I can't tell whether the sources are reliable nor do i know the proper usage, they also say for research purposes only which is a little intimidating :) can anyone shed some light into this? 

Edited by Guts11

I've had anhedonia for as long as I can remember, can't really say it has been induced by any medication since I have not been on any. I tried Wellbutrin to try treating the Anhedonia itself but after being on it for months it really didn't help and just gave it up. i'm interested in trying out nsi-189 but what i've found thus far is a white powder by some retailers online but I can't tell whether the sources are reliable nor do i know the proper usage, they also say for research purposes only which is a little intimidating :) can anyone shed some light into this? 

this thread has the most up-to-date info on nsi-189 http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/58442-nsi-189/

I just read about a new medication that is meant for pre-menopausal women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder. My thinking might seem out of the box (which it is), but I couldn't stop to think of the potential this could have on possibly helping anhedonia. Let me know what you all think? 

http://throb.gizmodo.com/heres-how-that-new-sex-pill-for-women-actually-works-1714264650

Welcome
He writes of Polish Greetings to all forum users
Anhedonia suffer for a long time, for many years I used a lot of drugs based on feedback uptake of serotonin which only worsened my condition. The reason anhedonia is a deficit of dopamine and endorphins in the brain's reward system. Drugs that may be effective in the treatment of anhedonia is primarily dopamine agonists, naltrexone, tianeptine, bupropion, mirtazapine, selegiline. Currently, several days take selegiline at a dose of 10 mg of mirtazapine and 90 mg. Selegiline as inhibitors of reuptake of dopamine D2 dopamine autoreceptors downregulation lasts usually month. Mirtazapine being inverse agonist, 5HT2c increases the release of dopamine and noradrenaline. I believe that this kit will help me. If this set does not work out I'm going to use tianeptine. The drug acts on opioid receptors responsible for euphoria. In clinical doses, tianeptine upregulate the opioid system in the brain, this results in increased synthesis of endorphins and dopamine. Endorphins regulate the brain's reward system, thus increasing the synthesis of dopamine.
Endorphins regulate the brain's reward system, thus increasing the synthesis of dopamine.
To reward system back to equilibrium beyond the use of medications you need to keep sexual abstinence as the orgasm increases the release of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens, this has the effect that after orgasm falls to about two weeks dopamine levels while increasing prolactin levels. Orgasm kills dopamine. To reward system back to equilibrium should give up all drugs, maintain abstinence for a month and use appropriate drugs that force the body to a greater synthesis of dopamine.

Naltrexone can also be effective in the fight against anhedonia. The brain acting as a chemical defiance after long exposure to naltrexone increases the sensitivity of dopaminergic D2 receptors. The need for a time of about two months. And in this case to drug therapy proven to be effective it is necessary to complete abstinence from pleasant experiences for at least a month.

So you have to meet the two conditions need to come out of anhedonia -after the first periodic abstinence from all pleasures (No sex, no drugs) and drug treatment based on dopaminergic receptors upregulate.
Greetings

I finally found a success story, they are out there. Pramipexole (brand name Mirapex) cured this particular persons anhedonia completely. Finding the right dosage is the toughest part, keep that in mind if you try it. There are some studies here about it. It may not be for everyone but it works to **** the anhedonia...hope this helps someone in the future.

Links to one of the studies to bring to your pdoc, I'll try and find the other study later:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15549689

Again, this medication does work to get rid of anhedonia. 

Abilify did do wonders for my Anhedonia about 2/3 years ago when I started but now its no longer working for it although it keeps my mood stable. I have pretty much zero positive/enjoyable emotions or very little. Be nice to try NSI-189 at some point in the future but we're severely limited with available meds here in the UK!! :-(

I'm glad to hear that Pramipexole seems to be helping. Over the course of your other medication trials, which classes of meds seemed to help the most? Since Pramipexole is a dopamine agonist, there is some speculation that patients who are resistant to SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, etc., but who have seen improvement with high-dose MAOIs, might be more prone to respond to Pramipexole. Have you ever tried high-dose MAOIs?

I had read that Pramipexole appeared to show promise in preliminary case reports and open-label trials, but when subjected to randomized double-blind placebo-controlled studies, it did little better than placebo. It appears to also carry some risk of hypo-mania and psychotic mania. Especially with continued usage, e.g. more than ~20 weeks.

Whether the benefits from Pramipexole are real or placebo doesn't really matter. If a patient improves, it doesn't matter if they are taking sugar pills. The important thing is that they feel better.

My doctor had prescribed all kinds of different medication, like Seroquel, Cymbalta, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Provigil, Ritalin for the Anhedonia.... none of them have worked. But everyone's body is different.

The only thing that had lifted the anhedonia for almost two days, was laughing gas that I had received during an oral surgery. It was the best thing.

Today my doctor suggested ECT.

On November 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM, jaiho said:

The only thing that triggered my emotions again was a cocktail of Moclobemide & residual prozac in my blood.

It's risky. but, i do it occasionally when i really want to experience something.

I mentioned this in the other thread. I take prozac 20MG for 1 week. stop. it stays in my blood for up to 2 weeks due to its long half life.

Around 1 week after stopping, i take 150mg of Moclobemide. That day, i'll have full emotions, and i watch movies / shows / music, and get chills, and great feeling from being immersed in the movie.

Unfortunately it is a short lived effect.

I haven't taken Moclobemide for a long period of time, but i will try it again if NSI-189 does not work.

Have you take the Prozac and msi-189 together Safely? Based on nuerostems docs. It doesn't effect serotonin receptors or serotonin transporter so should cause serotonin syndrome. But some poeple get SSRI-like sexual dysfunction from it which is a concern. I'm considering adding to my Paxil taper (which after re-instantly Paxil has left me emotionless... Wellbutrin, low-dose zyprexa, provigil, etc have all failed).