What To Do With Myself From Here?

Kabuto

Hey everyone,

So I've been teaching in a foreign country for 2 months now. It has it's ups and downs. I'm very grateful to be living in a foreign country working a job that I tolerate and that provides me with a lot of free time. On the other hand....I'm VERY homesick, don't find a lot of people I truly click with, and am lonely in general- as someone who is very introverted and very picky.

Living at home was great for social connections, but brought another set of problems- namely, unemployment and a feeling of worthlessness.

I'm just at a loss for what to do- how to bring excitement back into my life. Maybe this is depression overall- a standard level of apathy towards life. I've been drawing and watching reruns of TV, and all that's well and good but I haven't felt "excited" or "thrilled" in a long time.

I'm tired of beating myself up and feeling sorry for myself. I'm mostly getting over an old girl that broke my heart in two. I've done some bad things- betrayed a friend of 3 years just because I needed to find myself, although there were other reasons. I thought by leaving to travel, I would leave a lot of my former problems behind. Though there are remnants and new obstacles to face. It hasn't been easy- but I'm trying my best.

How do I ignite the sparks again? To feel good?

Edited by Kabuto

Have you though about setting yourself challenges?

Sometimes we just need a goal in life.

This year, I've tried to set myself a goal to cook a new recipe every week and to travel to 5 new countries.

It's been pretty fun trying to achieve my goals.

Hey everyone,

So I've been teaching in a foreign country for 2 months now. It has it's ups and downs. I'm very grateful to be living in a foreign country working a job that I tolerate and that provides me with a lot of free time. On the other hand....I'm VERY homesick, don't find a lot of people I truly click with, and am lonely in general- as someone who is very introverted and very picky.

Living at home was great for social connections, but brought another set of problems- namely, unemployment and a feeling of worthlessness.

I'm just at a loss for what to do- how to bring excitement back into my life. Maybe this is depression overall- a standard level of apathy towards life. I've been drawing and watching reruns of TV, and all that's well and good but I haven't felt "excited" or "thrilled" in a long time.

I'm tired of beating myself up and feeling sorry for myself. I'm mostly getting over an old girl that broke my heart in two. I've done some bad things- betrayed a friend of 3 years just because I needed to find myself, although there were other reasons. I thought by leaving to travel, I would leave a lot of my former problems behind. Though there are remnants and new obstacles to face. It hasn't been easy- but I'm trying my best.

How do I ignite the sparks again? To feel good?

Are there any classes *you* can take there? New hobbies to take up? That can be really tough being in a country that is new to you. Find some creative avenues to meet new people.

Best of luck!

Unfortunately, two months in, and depressive thoughts are coming back. I'm doing my best to stay stabilized! My room is on a high floor, and I want to make sure I stay safe. I feel like I'm not stupid enough to do anything, but depression is a scary illness. And I want to keep it all under control!

I don't know why I'm depressed, but I'm homesick and I wish there was more nature in this big city.