People's Inappropriate Responses

That I should be happy because I have such a great well paying job and I can buy so many great things. "Why are you so spoiled?" "You should be happy, look at what you can buy!!"  Like money buys happiness. Yeah right.  I'd gladly trade it all for a depression-free life. 

• 2 months later...

Here's an infuriating one:

"We will never, ever get rid of bullying. we need to teach kids to stand up for themselves instead of passing anti bullying bylaws. We are creating a society of victims."

Whoever said that has obviously never been ganged up on by 15 people every day for years.

I like this one: Why don't you seek a decent job? (My chronique fatique's got worse lately, so i'm not trying to find something better) I always start explaining my situation instead of saying kind of a polite form of f*** you.

You just need to think positive, go take a walk. They don't understand what its like being bipolar i don't like talking to people about it because its hard to explain I just got depressed for no apparent reason. I also get upset over really insignificant things like when I had to drive back to my families house to get the keys to my condo. My mother asked what happened to make you depressed, i told her its because i didn't have my house keys on me it makes no sense to me and neither does it make sense to anyone else. I just feel like im saying its because im nuts. It really doesn't help me get along with normal people than i can see them the next day and start saying my life is great and I love everything. Makes it hard to maintain friends

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2014 at 5:41 AM, Weirdo said:

"there are people with down syndrome and cerebral palsy, be thankful you have all your limbs"

(a personal one of my favorites that my parents used to use all the time)

Screw your parents. Maybe those people don't have your issues. Just because you have issues doesn't mean you aren't thankful that you have all of your limbs lol. What idiots.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate peoples random "assessments" of my mental health. I recently got a new job and quit my stupid job and my best friend gives me a lecture about how I am entitled to thinking I should get a new job and entitled to Think jobs should treat me well and apparently this entitlement has come from my depression because before the depression apparently I had the work ethic of a saint working for an organization that treated me horribly. Like wth.... a) you're  not a doctor or mental health professional so why are you commenting on my depression and b) why should anyone work for an agency or job that treats them poorly? Not wanting to subject yourself to that is not entitlement it's self respect. 

• You're too young to have a mental illness
  • Mental illnesses don't exist
  • You don't know how good you have it
  • Committing suicide is against the Bible/You'll go to hell
  • Pills are for addicts

"You're so quiet all the time. I'm afraid that you're gonna bring a gun to school and shoot everything up. It's always the quiet ones."

THAT WAS SAID TO ME BY A "FRIEND" RIGHT AFTER VIRGINIA TECH HAPPENED. I WAS TEN YEARS OLD.

I recently told someone ... the first person whom i have ever told ... about my depression. Since i couldnt talk, i wrote an email. The response i got was "compassionate" to some degree. But i realized after a conversation with the said person, that he did not have a clue about what i was going through and that despite what i felt was a pretty good explanatory  email of what and how i feel when im in a very low period, he can never truly understand me.

- he said: ill take off all the work and responsibilities off your shoulder and why don't you just come and attend meetings and discussions  (hmmm no i can't ... not because i dont want to, but because i physically and mentally cant deal or talk with any human beings)

- he could not say the word depression ... his words were ... your personal issues

- he compared my wanting some time off with him needing time off at the moment to find a new condo for him and his wife

i could continue with the list...

Overall, i think he meant well. but he definitely did not understand.

My coworker also believes depression is not real and it is an excuse to do "crazy" things.

Saw a neurosurgeon today (for my non-mental problems), he diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, and acknowledge that it can be very painful, so far so good, then he said 'it could be worse, you could have cancer'. What the hell was that? Fibromyalgia, chronic pain from an accident, bi-polar and clinic depressed is enough, I really don't need to be told that it could be worse - especially not by a doctor.

I feel so mean getting upset with people and I can't say it to them so I just let it fester in me and it adds to my anxiety and depression. 

People know I find it hard to say no so they take advantage but I can't stick up for myself but at the same time it causes resentment in me- like work they caused my anxiety to peak and me to hit bottom by overworking me and instead of being supportive they were horrible about it like the fact I'm going through this is a weakness or like bunking but I'm not off getting my nails done I'm lying in bed wishing I could do anything else I would love to be able to get up and have a bath never mind anything else! 

My best friend of 18 years has recently been suffering from anxiety and I thought not that it's good but that maybe she would have more understanding for me because before she would get really weird with me anyway it was all about her the whole time and fair enough I was really supportive then she found out it was caused by something unrelated and took a pill and bam it was gone never to return again and I have hit rock bottom have been signed off work I can barely leave my house and I finally went to the doctor for help and felt proud of myself and she told me I shouldn't go on pills I'll get addicted and be on them forever and was really demeaning towards me and even after feeling the affects she's still not understanding or supportive and I don't know she just upsets me sometimes I have enough guilt internally please don't make me feel worse! 

Sorry if that didn't make any sense it was sort of a purge of what I've been keeping bottled sorry if I sound horrible!!! 

On October 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM, jimmyatesu said:

at my last day of work the other day some said to me "thanks for being useless"

Omg I can't believe that. I would have gone directly to HR and complaint about this person, even in my last second at work. But that just helps other people, no yourself directly, the damage is done, you can't 'unhear' this assault.

Second thought: to be correct, I would have been so hurt, that I had done nothing but pondered if other people felt the same, my self esteem (whatever is left) would have been shattered. I WAS the person, who would have taken action. It's really sad to see how much I have changed. --- Writing this and thinking of the change gets me to the edge. Have to stop now.

• 6 months later...

I heard a new one the other day.  My friend was talking about her sister who has some mental health struggles and she said 

"oh and then of course she decided that she was going to be depressed now and that didn't help" 

and then later on in the convo said 

"well yeah she just got it in her head she was really depressed and it was so selfish of her because her acting all depressed all the time was exhausting for the rest of the family and she was hurting everyone with it but of course she refused to stop it"

Like first of all nobody NOBODY decides they're gonna be depressed. Do u actually think we are so dumb???  

secondly , we don't just "get it in our head" like as if it's like having an opinion if something.

Lastly..... OUR depression is about ourselves not an evil plot hatched up to torment you and your ignorant life.   

When I hear things like this it makes me feel like I'm living in a city of Neanderthals. 

8 hours ago, Wrenn84 said:

I heard a new one the other day.  My friend was talking about her sister who has some mental health struggles and she said 

"oh and then of course she decided that she was going to be depressed now and that didn't help" 

and then later on in the convo said 

"well yeah she just got it in her head she was really depressed and it was so selfish of her because her acting all depressed all the time was exhausting for the rest of the family and she was hurting everyone with it but of course she refused to stop it"

Like first of all nobody NOBODY decides they're gonna be depressed. Do u actually think we are so dumb???  

secondly , we don't just "get it in our head" like as if it's like having an opinion if something.

Lastly..... OUR depression is about ourselves not an evil plot hatched up to torment you and your ignorant life.   

When I hear things like this it makes me feel like I'm living in a city of Neanderthals. 

Unfortunately Wrenn, we live in a world full of Neanderthals.

- KS