I'm posting here because I've suspected myself of having ADD for a few months now. There are a few reasons I believe this to be so. The first is that I have a tough time focusing on things. I'm not working as much as I'd like, and my daily routine consists of time mostly spent on a combination of homework, television, chores, internet, homework, and such. And it often seems as if I never spend more than ten minutes at a time at each. I do spend too much time surfing the web, but when I do, it's like I shift from site to site to site and around and around in circles, never spending anymore than a few minutes at a time at each. I've completed my BA, but it was a real struggle, and think a big part, although not the whole thing was due to an inability to pay attention to my assignments. And one cannot forget my wonderful capacity to lose or misplace things. I pride myself on being punctual for work and other appointments, but typically when I'm not, its because I've managed to misplace my wallet or my keys or something. The misplacing thing happens multiple times a week. And I was once asked by a former coworker one time why I'm always looking my watch, and I think it's because I'm needing to break up my shift at work more frequently than the alloted breaks

One may wonder why I would only be considering this now at my age. Well, it's because I had a lot of medical issues stemming from a very premature birth, and I don't think anyone in my family ever saw them as a real concern. And if things were noticed at all, they have always been seen as a direct product of those medical issues, and a separate disorder like ADD was never considered until I started wondering

But these same medical issues are a partial explanation for why I'm still living with family at my age, and that's causing a huge problem in dealing with this. If I said anything about suspecting ADD to anyone, it would more than likely be dismissed. It's compounded by what happened a few years ago when my maternal gradfather passed away. It was the first death in the family in more than 20 years, and I became exposed to the reality of death really for the first time. This unleashed in me a bout of severe hypochondria that lasted for several months, and even though it's much better now, I still consider myself more concscious of my own mortality than most people. So with regards to ADD, I'd just worry as well that beyond just dismissing it, my family might also see it as that hypochondria of a few years ago rearing its head again.

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you tried discussing it with your GP and has he/she tried to get you an appointment with an psychiatrist? It is the only way to go as far as I know.

I have been struggling to get an examination by a psychiatrist myself but I managed to get it now, but it wasn't easy. I don't know what it's like where you are in the world but at least here there are few psychiatrists that can do this exact examination and it's a needle's eye to get through for an adult.

• 2 weeks later...

In my '50s and just recently evaluated for ADD. I think for girls, especially, it's tough to be assessed. We don't usually present as disrupting other peoples' lives. Just our own--and that turns into depression very easily.

I took a bunch of online tests and told my p-doc. He asked me some questions about my history and then sent me to a psychologist who just did testing.

I'm in the States, and it's possible there's a different process where you are, Michael1985, but keep persisting!

Now in my 50's and suffered severe depression but the typical depression meds made me worse,so my new therapist suggested i had ADD after a few sessions and she was right.I dumped all depression meds and went on Focalin and within days i felt like a human being again.All my siblings and their children and my son as well all were diagnosed with ADHD/ADD so it made sense i had the same thing..When we were young they did not know about this in school you were either lazy or stupid thankfully there are tests for young kids and programs to help..