What Should My Goals Be Now?

Kabuto

I suppose I've always been a drifter, a wanderer. Right now, I am working a job I don't necessarily like, but don't hate either. I'm aiming to produce as much art in my free time as possible. Sometimes, I also read, play a wind instrument, watch youtube, and take photos.

I'm aiming to remove all my time wasting activities, or keep them to a minimum. This included facebook, online dating sites, reading youtube comments, email, etc.

So how can I be as efficient and useful with my time as possible so I don't sit around bored and feeling useless? There are so many times I just feel like doing nothing. I think if I manage to take advantage of the free time I have been blessed with, I will ultimately be a happier person because I won't feel like I wasted myself. I want to be in the top echelon of intellect and skill- not some failure who uses facebook and twitter all the time.

Thanks for the help (sorry for all the topics!)

Edited by Kabuto

Teddy said it. Your goals are your own; the result of a voyage of self-discovery.

You apparently have art and music as hobbies or vocations. Where do you see yourself in twenty years? Doing something creative? Or something along the volunteer lines?

You say you want to be in the "top echelon of intellect and skill". What do you mean by that? Intellect and skill are two different things. Back to school? Teach? Engineer?

The world is really wide open for a smart, gifted person... I wish you well in your quest!

Efficiency and usefulness come in second, or third to enjoyment and satisfying . Don't spend your free time doing things you think you should be doing according to ???? . Do the things that you want to to do. That bring enjoyment to your life.

Kabuto, I am in the same position as you. I don't hate my job but I don't really like it either. I find myself coming home from work basically spending all night mindlessly searching youtube. I am trying to find something to motivate myself, but I don't know how to either?

I suppose I've always been a drifter, a wanderer. Right now, I am working a job I don't necessarily like, but don't hate either. I'm aiming to produce as much art in my free time as possible. Sometimes, I also read, play a wind instrument, watch youtube, and take photos.

I'm aiming to remove all my time wasting activities, or keep them to a minimum. This included facebook, online dating sites, reading youtube comments, email, etc.

So how can I be as efficient and useful with my time as possible so I don't sit around bored and feeling useless? There are so many times I just feel like doing nothing. I think if I manage to take advantage of the free time I have been blessed with, I will ultimately be a happier person because I won't feel like I wasted myself. I want to be in the top echelon of intellect and skill- not some failure who uses facebook and twitter all the time.

Thanks for the help (sorry for all the topics!)

Something that brings you joy. We all need joy from time to time, not just a quick rush from a video game or anything on a screen platform. It's good for some casual decompressing. But ultimately, we need more than that, or we'll wind up depressed. It's crazy how often this gets forgotten in this day and age.

Teddy said it. Your goals are your own; the result of a voyage of self-discovery.

You apparently have art and music as hobbies or vocations. Where do you see yourself in twenty years? Doing something creative? Or something along the volunteer lines?

You say you want to be in the "top echelon of intellect and skill". What do you mean by that? Intellect and skill are two different things. Back to school? Teach? Engineer?

The world is really wide open for a smart, gifted person... I wish you well in your quest!

If I could have it my way, I'd love to be doing something on the artsy spectrum, working from home if possible. But my real "goals" are so vague, there are so many variables. I haven't a clue what kind of art I'd like to do for a living- ranging from digital, to trying to be a painter, to even something crazy like game design or theatre design. It's why I spend most of my time drawing.

I meant both intellect and skill- I want to have both of these things. I don't really wish to go back to school though- not at the moment at least.

Efficiency and usefulness come in second, or third to enjoyment and satisfying . Don't spend your free time doing things you think you should be doing according to ???? . Do the things that you want to to do. That bring enjoyment to your life.

Very true- but I find facebook and whatnot doesn't help me enjoy life either. I'd rather do things I enjoy that are useful!

So overall, I need help with time management and finding fun, efficient things to do!

Edited by Kabuto

• 2 weeks later...

It's OK to sometimes do nothing. To each of us, doing nothing, is doing something; thinking, looking out the window, staying in bed where you feel safe, not thinking, meditating, etc.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable and safe. I agree that having a job you don't hate is good. For some, the depression is so debilitating that they cannot hold a job.

Sometimes social media adds to depression and stagnancy, particularly facebook, where one can get caught up in comparing goals and achievements. Take it lightly.

Well you have the most advanced educational tool known to man at your finger tips. U tube has 1,000's of how to videos, on about everything.

I have taught myself all kinds of science experiments, magic tricks, way's of building thing instead of buying them, how stuff works... anything you want, just got to do it. Find something you want to learn study it, and try it...

Start small and aim for things you can actually do that move you in the right direction. Compose a few songs, learn to play a few songs, or pick up a couple new techniques. Some people know right away. Others learn as they go.

In defense of this, I'm significantly happier and more confident since spending a chunk of my free time working on personal pursuits than I ever was when I used it for an extra couple hours of television and gaming. There needs to be downtime, but I think people overestimate the value of relaxing for people who don't come home tired at the end of the day. If you're not working or going to school full-time, there needs to be something with substance in your life or a way to use all your energy in a way that adds to your life long-term. Even if it's work, and even if it gives you identity and pride more than enjoyment.

I think a big reason a lot of people are unhappy and self-medicate with material possessions, food, alcohol, sex, video games, Facebook updates, and more is because they don't do anything they actually value and need to imitate the highs gained from success with things like social, creative, family, spiritual, or career aspects.

I want to have a solid side income as a writer. This is not fun, but it is better for me mentally and emotionally as I progress than playing video games or just relaxing. It means I have to do things which are not enjoyable to get to my rewards, like working even when I neither want nor have to or facing rejection from publishers. But having a good piece to show for it, extra money, and praise is all worth it.

Edited by Licorice

Start small and aim for things you can actually do that move you in the right direction. Compose a few songs, learn to play a few songs, or pick up a couple new techniques. Some people know right away. Others learn as they go.

In defense of this, I'm significantly happier and more confident since spending a chunk of my free time working on personal pursuits than I ever was when I used it for an extra couple hours of television and gaming. There needs to be downtime, but I think people overestimate the value of relaxing for people who don't come home tired at the end of the day. If you're not working or going to school full-time, there needs to be something with substance in your life or a way to use all your energy in a way that adds to your life long-term. Even if it's work, and even if it gives you identity and pride more than enjoyment.

I think a big reason a lot of people are unhappy and self-medicate with material possessions, food, alcohol, sex, video games, Facebook updates, and more is because they don't do anything they actually value and need to imitate the highs gained from success with things like social, creative, family, spiritual, or career aspects.

I want to have a solid side income as a writer. This is not fun, but it is better for me mentally and emotionally as I progress than playing video games or just relaxing. It means I have to do things which are not enjoyable to get to my rewards, like working even when I neither want nor have to or facing rejection from publishers. But having a good piece to show for it, extra money, and praise is all worth it.

I 100% agree with this. If I spend my free time doing something of value, the satisfaction earned is much more immense than it ever could be otherwise. I think it was never an issue when I was a kid, because school appeared to promise all of these things that we have to build for ourselves.

Well you have the most advanced educational tool known to man at your finger tips. U tube has 1,000's of how to videos, on about everything.

I have taught myself all kinds of science experiments, magic tricks, way's of building thing instead of buying them, how stuff works... anything you want, just got to do it. Find something you want to learn study it, and try it...

True. Unfortunately I have such ADD when it comes to sitting down and watching the videos, let alone following all the instructions...

Edited by Kabuto